• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I2S via HDMI pinout wiring.

L Plate

View attachment 160302

I was able to get dsd over iis using the hdmi/mhl to iis board on a Sony BDP-S370/Gustard x16. I tested both coax and the hdmi/iis output and I prefer the hdmi/iis sound better. Using the board coax out, I got 176.4khz which is better than the sony coax which can output only 44.1khz when playing sacd
Do you have the issue of "popping" when you play SACD at the start of the 1st track? Once I play another SACD it pops again at the 1st track. It appears some experience different issues. I have Oppo 93 and Gustard X16 and Topping D90 MQA. Both suffer from the popping sound. I don't know what is the issue. Mine is not a naked board. One guy has similar devices as mine and he is using Oppo 93. He never reported popping sound. Could it be the board is faulty? It does not pop when I play red book, MQA, Blu Ray or DVD audio discs.

raif71

Major Contributor
Do you have the issue of "popping" when you play SACD at the start of the 1st track? Once I play another SACD it pops again at the 1st track. It appears some experience different issues. I have Oppo 93 and Gustard X16 and Topping D90 MQA. Both suffer from the popping sound. I don't know what is the issue. Mine is not a naked board. One guy has similar devices as mine and he is using Oppo 93. He never reported popping sound. Could it be the board is faulty? It does not pop when I play red book, MQA, Blu Ray or DVD audio discs.
None that I could detect. On the board my switch is at the middle position (2.0CH). Initially I was at 5.1CH and it sound fine too but at PASS, no sound was to be heard. I chose 2.0CH coz my sacd player DSD setting is 2 channel and the Gustard X16 support stereo only. I also use the 5V DC input supply to the board.

L Plate

None that I could detect. On the board my switch is at the middle position (2.0CH). Initially I was at 5.1CH and it sound fine too but at PASS, no sound was to be heard. I chose 2.0CH coz my sacd player DSD setting is 2 channel and the Gustard X16 support stereo only. I also use the 5V DC input supply to the board.
5V DC supply? Why do you need to do that? The description says only when it is underpowered. Any advantages?
Maybe I should just buy another naked board this time as per your link.

raif71

Major Contributor
5V DC supply? Why do you need to do that? The description says only when it is underpowered. Any advantages?
Maybe I should just buy another naked board this time as per your link.
I didn't test without the 5V DC. I just saw the power input and already had an old phone charger with 5v output so I just used it. Perhaps I don't really need it, who knows.

L Plate

I didn't test without the 5V DC. I just saw the power input and already had an old phone charger with 5v output so I just used it. Perhaps I don't really need it, who knows.
BTW, do you rip your SACD to DSD files? I ripped all my SACD to DSD to 11.2 Mhz however they are extremely huge files. I also ripped all my red book CDs to DSD. Sometimes, I play all my FLAC files as DSD using DSD Asio Transcoder to play up to DSD 22.5 Mhz.

raif71

Major Contributor
BTW, do you rip your SACD to DSD files? I ripped all my SACD to DSD to 11.2 Mhz however they are extremely huge files. I also ripped all my red book CDs to DSD. Sometimes, I play all my FLAC files as DSD using DSD Asio Transcoder to play up to DSD 22.5 Mhz.
Suffice it to say that I use the bluray player to play sacd-r and some sacd I rip to dsd and use DAP to play them. Most of my sacd are dsd64. I have a few dsd128 and dsd256.

snake69fast

This is what I achieved:

1) The ability to play SACD through a good DAC without spending a lot of money. I was actually considering spending $700 on a Z-stock Arcam CDS-50, which doesn't even output DSD signals.
2) Actually test the damn I2S HDMI input on my DAC, which is something I never tested before after owning my DAC for over a year.
3) Can now confidently create my own I2S HDMI cable with whatever pin out assignment I have for any new use cases that arises.
4) Have provided valuable information to others who are (1) trying to overcome the lack of industry standards for HDMI pin out assignment (2) who also wants to use this HDMI audio extractor to play SACD.

I already rip my SACDs to DSD files, but unlike others, I don't sell my SACDs, I collect them. But having SACDs and not have the ability to play it back with a decent DAC, doesn't sit well with me.

So do you think it was well worth my money, time and effort? Probably not, but I am not doing this for you. :)
Hi! What is the pinout that you are using now for the I2S CABLE? I have also managed to extract PCM from the first I2S output (the one HDMI ready - HDMI female) but I am unable to play DSD via the second I2S output (the white plastic one). I am using a Sabaj D5 DAC. Thank you!

TunaBug

Forum Donor
I already rip my SACDs to DSD files, but unlike others, I don't sell my SACDs, I collect them. But having SACDs and not have the ability to play it back with a decent DAC, doesn't sit well with me.

I rip my SACDs but do not sell them. If I part with the physical media then I also remove rips from my library: it seems to me that to do otherwise is theft. Once ripped I never play the physical media, though.

L Plate

I noticed that you have almost identical devices except the Blu ray player. It looks like you are using Gustard IIS cable as well. I am using this cable too! But why am I getting this "popping" sound? This is my set-up: Oppo BDP93,
View attachment 160302

I was able to get dsd over iis using the hdmi/mhl to iis board on a Sony BDP-S370/Gustard x16. I tested both coax and the hdmi/iis output and I prefer the hdmi/iis sound better. Using the board coax out, I got 176.4khz which is better than the sony coax which can output only 44.1khz when playing sacd
I noticed that you have almost identical devices except the Blu ray player. It looks like you are using Gustard IIS cable as well. I am using this cable too! But why am I getting this "popping" sound? This is my set-up: Oppo BDP93, Gadget with Gustard cable IIS and Gustard X16. But your player is Sony BDP S370. Maybe, it depends on the player compatibility. Just bought another naked board B and it has static. Wonder should I buy Sony BDP S370. Not expensive $100++. Or should I buy a better model but the risk is it might not be compatible. Sony BDP S370 is quite an old model at least 10 years old.

raif71

Major Contributor
I noticed that you have almost identical devices except the Blu ray player. It looks like you are using Gustard IIS cable as well. I am using this cable too! But why am I getting this "popping" sound? This is my set-up: Oppo BDP93,

I noticed that you have almost identical devices except the Blu ray player. It looks like you are using Gustard IIS cable as well. I am using this cable too! But why am I getting this "popping" sound? This is my set-up: Oppo BDP93, Gadget with Gustard cable IIS and Gustard X16. But your player is Sony BDP S370. Maybe, it depends on the player compatibility. Just bought another naked board B and it has static. Wonder should I buy Sony BDP S370. Not expensive $100++. Or should I buy a better model but the risk is it might not be compatible. Sony BDP S370 is quite an old model at least 10 years old.
I have another Sony player which is the bdp-490 which can play sacd but I have not tested this with the i2s/hdmi board. I'm currently busy at the moment but if I do hook this player with the i2s board...will update in this thread.:)

L Plate

Been there and done that.
I ended up with a DoP capable De embedder which works perfectly.

Check it out.......... https://www.ebay.com/itm/353354399159?
Hi
I have read a lot of what you have written but I didn't understand much of it. Changing on the settings of D90MQA. No luck.
Anyway, I want to ask you regarding the link on DoP board.
I have one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001265826217.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dyMUCjj but I am not sure it is similar to yours. It's a lot cheaper.
What I don't understand is if my gadget is DoP capable via coaxial, should my D90MQA display 2.82 Mhz DSD when I play SACD disc?
I am getting only 88.2 Khz in PCM.
Just like @gallantus, I am getting lots of static when I hooked up to my Gustard X16 and D90MQA. I have tried using different IIS cables and even generic cables but with no luck.
In the end, I just gave up and just play with coaxial at 88.2 Khz PCM.
Cheers mate

Edit: I think your DoP box and mine aren't the same. I noticed the price difference is huge. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/392894169639

Last edited:

L Plate

I have another Sony player which is the bdp-490 which can play sacd but I have not tested this with the i2s/hdmi board. I'm currently busy at the moment but if I do hook this player with the i2s board...will update in this thread.:)
But it has only one HDMI output. How do you see the display on the screen? Oppo 93 has 2 HDMI outputs.

linger63

Hi
I have read a lot of what you have written but I didn't understand much of it. Changing on the settings of D90MQA. No luck.
Anyway, I want to ask you regarding the link on DoP board.
I have one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001265826217.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dyMUCjj but I am not sure it is similar to yours. It's a lot cheaper.
What I don't understand is if my gadget is DoP capable via coaxial, should my D90MQA display 2.82 Mhz DSD when I play SACD disc?
I am getting only 88.2 Khz in PCM.
Just like @gallantus, I am getting lots of static when I hooked up to my Gustard X16 and D90MQA. I have tried using different IIS cables and even generic cables but with no luck.
In the end, I just gave up and just play with coaxial at 88.2 Khz PCM.
Cheers mate

Edit: I think your DoP box and mine aren't the same. I noticed the price difference is huge. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/392894169639

The box you bought (and linked to) does not do DoP.
DoP capable boxes cost a bit more.

Your source needs to output DSD via HDMI for box to work at DoP or I2S level.
When working properly 2.82Mhz will be displayed.

Your current box should still work properly at I2S level with correct settings in D90 menu and with the right source.
My experience is solely with Oppo's as the source (and correct DSD output settings)

Maybe your sources' DSD output settings are wrong........

Last edited:

L Plate

The box you bought (and linked to) does not do DoP.
DoP capable boxes cost a bit more.

Your source needs to output DSD via HDMI for box to work at DoP or I2S level.
When working properly 2.82Mhz will be displayed.

Your current box should still work properly at I2S level with correct settings in D90 menu and with the right source.
My experience is solely with Oppo's as the source (and correct DSD output settings)

Maybe your sources' DSD output settings are wrong........
Yes, the current box is working but with static noise on IIS.
I have Oppo 93 and D90SE (just acquired). I get lots of static using I2S. What settings are we looking at in D90?
I have made so many changes switching DSD flag, Phase, etc, etc and studied carefully in details.
What sort of details I need to be aware from Oppo93? I have gone through so many and no luck.
Just thinking that maybe Oppo93 is just not compatible.
Maybe, I should just get a Dop capable box and be done with it instead of tearing my hair out.
A naked board should be just fine and I can remove the one in the box and stick in the naked board.

Attachments

• Oppo93_Set_up[1].jpg
    Oppo93_Set_up[1].jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 163
  • D90SE_Display[1].jpg
    D90SE_Display[1].jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 133
  • TV_Display[1].jpg
    TV_Display[1].jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

linger63

Yes, the current box is working but with static noise on IIS.
I have Oppo 93 and D90SE (just acquired). I get lots of static using I2S. What settings are we looking at in D90?
I have made so many changes switching DSD flag, Phase, etc, etc and studied carefully in details.
What sort of details I need to be aware from Oppo93? I have gone through so many and no luck.
Just thinking that maybe Oppo93 is just not compatible.
Maybe, I should just get a Dop capable box and be done with it instead of tearing my hair out.
A naked board should be just fine and I can remove the one in the box and stick in the naked board.

Sounds like you have tried all the Topping settings.

In Oppo menu...........
Try turning off "Secondary Audio"
Try "Auto" for HDMI audio instead of "Bitstream"
Try HDMI 2 output
Ensure video output resolution is set to 720p or higher
Try connecting box to display using HDMI.

If none of that helps then you just might have to get the DoP version.

FWIW I used an Oppo 105 and 205 with success but I assume the 93 would work too.

Last edited:

L Plate

Sounds like you have tried all the Topping settings.
Try turning off "Secondary Audio" in the Oppo's menu.
Try "Auto" instead of "Bitstream"
If that doesn't help then you might have to get the DoP version.

FWIW I used an Oppo 105 and 205 with success but I assume the 93 would work too.
Yes Secondary Audio Off. Tried b4.
Auto, tried b4.
Not working at all.

L Plate

The board has hdmi-out for display, remember ?
Hahaha... I am so dumb! I was actually using it and totally forgot about it. Guess that I am frustrated. I think best option is to buy DoP capable naked board. About 65 bucks. Remove the board from the current box and replace it.

L Plate

Bad HDMI cable perhaps?

This help?........https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/61546-article-at-long-last-listen-to-your-physical-sacds-through-an-outboard-dac/page/6/#comments

See also my Feb 11 Post
I have tested with so many HDMI cables. Honestly, I am not even sure now. Do you mean from source to the gadget?
I will check out your link.
How do you do this?
"L/R channels are reversed via its I2S HDMI output.
I was able to negate this via I2S settings adjustments in my Topping D90's menu."
Cheers mate

Top Bottom