• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to choose cables ?

Barrelhouse Solly

I think your best bet is zip cord from the hardware store. As posted above, the length of the run is the determining factor for gauge. 16 and 14 gauge are the normal choices for home use. I mostly buy 14 gauge because I'm too lazy to look up the max distance for 16. Premade cables offer some convenience, but it's not that hard to install banana plugs.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@rdenney already posted my first thought. It's a KISS situation in any case. Unless the aesthetics and price of some of the myriad of silly speaker wire out there particularly appeals to you....

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
14 gauge OFC. Any brand. I like KabelDirekt.
+1

The jacket is a little hard to split but made in Germany at bargain prices is hard to beat.

izeek

i used some old monster thick ass cable i had laying around till i decided what i wanted my cables to look like even if no one but me sees them.
nothing wrong with audiobling.
bought some canare 4s11 from bluejeanscable.com. great quality.
ive been using a custom 4s11 someone made for me for about 3 yrs.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I think it's a safe bet to use 14gauge OFC (no CCA) with good connectors like Neutrik banana's for speakers. For interconnect, most that is sold will do. Look for a solid build, no fragile or loose parts. I use QED Profile cables, but only because i could get them very cheap in a warehouse clearance. but any decent brand will do. Just don't buy the cheapest trashy ones.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Whatever the cheapest 12 gauge copper you can find on Amazon. 14 guage will be fine also if you are not exceeding 10ft lengths.

Try to avoid copper clad alumninium.

There is no benefit to expensive cables.

EG
Or support your neighbor and go to a small hardware store, if amazon hasnt already driven him out of business. The wrong amazon is burning.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or support your neighbor and go to a small hardware store, if amazon hasnt already driven him out of business. The wrong amazon is burning.
Yes, even better.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to say fancy speaker cables did bring notice to appearance. I'll pay a little extra for appearance vs zipcord or similar. Especially since you'll own it for years. The extra suppleness of Mogami or Canare also help with neat routing and removing strain from connectors.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I believe cables should be heard and not seen, but if you can't hide them than a little more money for aesthetics makes sense.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe cables should be heard and not seen, but if you can't hide them than a little more money for aesthetics makes sense.
Or just add your own, it's easy enough. I mostly don't see mine so plain old speaker wire works fine for me, but Techflex type coverings are available in a variety of colors/patterns IIRC.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or just add your own, it's easy enough. I mostly don't see mine so plain old speaker wire works fine for me, but Techflex type coverings are available in a variety of colors/patterns IIRC.
Yes, something tasteful like this.

1706410207984.png

1706410667172.png

They also have these wraps so you could swap them out should you need a different color. Or just to change to a different cable inside.
1706410437482.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom