• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Silly question about audio digital out

streamophile

Quick newbie question:

I recently got a Topping E50 DAC to bring together my three main digital audio sources: my laptop, Chromecast audio (CCA), and TV audio.

I thought this DAC could work for my needs as the laptop could be connected via USB, then the CCA could be connected with a mini-toslink to optical and my TV could be connected via the coax input. However, I recently came to know that my Sony TV only has an optical audio out and that a optical to coax cable is not a thing...

My issue is that I do not want to buy a coax to optical converter and switching cables between the TV optical and the CCA optical is quite impractical.

Am I missing something or am I just dumb for not researching this beforehand?

staticV3

Master Contributor

Hemi-Demon

It's a significant jump in price at $1299, but you could just purchase a Topping DX9 and be done with it.

It has 2 coaxial, 2 optical, USB and AES input(s).

staticV3

Master Contributor
Lindy has an automatic switch for $50, though they mainly sell in the EU:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
OP
S

streamophile

These options are a big part of the cost of the DAC new, which was 130€. I do not think having another box which adds to the visual and length-of-the-audio-chain clutter is where I want to be. I feel I should have researched this more and these not so cheap solutions are a bad fix at best.

I guess I'll wait for the Wiim Ultra and try to sell the E50 DAC and the Chromecast Audio to close the gap in price and have a really good all-in-one solution for my needs (budget-ish, compact, TV via eARC & laptop on USB, PEQ and sub out). Waiting it is... such is life, as my professor used to say

Reactions: EdW
Top Bottom