• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I connect my setup?

CarlToft

Hey, I am very close to buying the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX and a Fosi Audio V3 with a 48v power supply or an Aiyima A07 Pro Amplifier. I wanna be able to connect them to both my Wiim mini my Topping E30 and my TV, which has Optical and a 2,5 mm jack.

This is a dumb question but how do I connect them all and do I need any converters and which cables?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If TV have RCA S/PDIF copper out you connect that to E30 optical RCA input with such cable and Mini to E30 with Toslink and such cable. You plug E30 to power amplifier with RCA analog cable and that's it. Use good quality analog RCA cables and not very long ones and you will be fine. Make sure you put digital output on TV to PCM only (no bitstreaming) and of course switch input on E30 to source in use.
Which TV is it exactly including model?

OP
C

CarlToft

If TV have RCA S/PDIF copper out you connect that to E30 optical RCA input with such cable and Mini to E30 with Toslink and such cable. You plug E30 to power amplifier with RCA analog cable and that's it. Use good quality analog RCA cables and not very long ones and you will be fine. Make sure you put digital output on TV to PCM only (no bitstreaming) and of course switch input on E30 to source in use.
I am checking which model i will write you back in a few minutes.

OP
C

CarlToft

The tv and model is an LG 43UM7050PLF 43".

staticV3

Master Contributor
@CarlToft Consider upgrading to to the WiiM Pro.
Then you could do:
TV->Toslink->WiiM->Toslink->Topping E30->RCA->Aiyima A07

The WiiM Mini's lack of Toslink input complicates things somewhat.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Actually, what you could do is:
TV->Toslink->Topping E30 Toslink in

and:
WiiM->Toslink->Toslink to Coax Converter->Coax->Topping E30 Coax in

Those converters are inexpensive and completely lossless.

However, with this setup, you'd have to switch inputs manually on the E30.

Using my layout from earlier with the upgraded WiiM, I believe it would automatically switch inputs.
Additionally, since the WiiM would always be in the signal chain, you could use its PEQ to apply room correction regardless of the signal source.

OP
C

CarlToft

@CarlToft Consider upgrading to to the WiiM Pro.
Then you could do:
TV->Toslink->WiiM->Toslink->Topping E30->RCA->Aiyima A07

The WiiM Mini's lack of Toslink input complicates things somewhat.
I could try and sell the E30 and Wiim mini and buy the Pro Plus version would it be compatible? As I will not have the E30 to connect to.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Huh TV have only Toslink out so you either need Toslink switch with at least two inputs or Toslink to coax converter and preferably use it on TV not Mini. Maybe switch with remote is better option.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I could try and sell the E30 and Wiim mini and buy the Pro Plus version would it be compatible? As I will not have the E30 to connect to.
Yes.
You could even combine all three boxes by buying a WiiM Amp.

It would have two advantages over even the WiiM Pro Plus:
-HDMI ARC input allows you to control volume via the TV remote
(With the Pro Plus you need to use the WiiM remote for volume)

-it has a Subwoofer output if you want to add one later on

OP
C

CarlToft

Huh TV have only Toslink out so you either need Toslink switch with at least two inputs or Toslink to coax converter and preferably use it on TV not Mini. Maybe switch with remote is better option.
I am confused now how will I connect it to the Setup with a Wiim mini and E30 and how would it be with a Wiim Pro Plus?

OP
C

CarlToft

Yes.
You could even combine all three boxes by buying a WiiM Amp.

It would have two advantages over even the WiiM Pro Plus:
-HDMI ARC input allows you to control volume via the TV remote
(With the Pro Plus you need to use the WiiM remote for volume)

-it has a Subwoofer output if you want to add one later on
Do you know how good it measures as the Fosi and Wiim Pro Plus measures very good?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I am confused now how will I connect it to the Setup with a Wiim mini and E30 and how would it be with a Wiim Pro Plus?
Toslink to switch from both and from there Toslink to E30 and then you switch input source on switch.

OP
C

CarlToft

Sorry for being confused but can you maybe describe it like TV==>Dac and so on?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
TV Toslink cable to switch input one, Mini Toslink cable to switch input 2, switch output Toslink cable to E30. Input source on E30 Toslink and Toslink output on TV to PCM 2.0 only.

OP
C

CarlToft

TV Toslink cable to switch input one, Mini Toslink cable to switch input 2, switch output Toslink cable to E30. Input source on E30 Toslink and Toslink output on TV to PCM 2.0 only.
1. The Mini part is it the Wiim Mini or a Toslink mini?
2. Will the switch degrade the audio?

staticV3

Master Contributor
@CarlToft

WiiM Mini (two options):
Blank diagram (17).png
Blank diagram (18).png
Between these, I would prefer option two (Toslink Switch)

WiiM Pro Plus:
Blank diagram (19).png

WiiM Amp:
Blank diagram (20).png

Between all of these, I would choose the WiiM Amp.
It's a neat All-in-One solution with some real upsides (Sub out, Vol control via TV remote, possibility of automatic room correction in the future)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
1. The Mini part is it the Wiim Mini or a Toslink mini?
2. Will the switch degrade the audio?
Mini as WiiM mini. That's cheap and convenient enough solution or you can for more convenience go as staticV3 suggested and keep PEQ's from WiiM on TV (Toslink) input. Keep in mind WiiM's don't have USB audio input.

Top Bottom