• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to choose cables ?

SiriusCanopus

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the dumb question, but how to choose cables for the speakers? I read couple of threads here, but could find a simple answer :D. I ended up with Lintons 85 and Leak as an amp, but now need to connect them.

Do I need to bother or just choose any cable ? I don't know what should be the diameter, or if it matters. At the shop I was suggested Cardas crosslink S1 or Chord Odyssey X. Do I need such expensive cables?

Will appreciate some simple guidance for the newbie :D Thank you in advance

2tec

In my opinion and from what I have heard there's no DBT proof that expensive cables are worthwhile. Most commercially available standard 16 gauge speaker cable will do fine unless runs exceed 50 feet or more. One factor in cabling is appearance. More expensive cables certainly look more impressive. If you want to spend more buy lower gauge cabling.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon Basics makes excellent cables and it's all you need. Just got two sets with banana clips and really impressed by the quality. I think Amazon is really picky about cables they put their name on. Even lots of their power adapters and power cables are UL listed.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
On loudspeaker cables:
There are countless good cables that can be used as loudspeaker cables.
Cables in the electrical department, in the Audio/Video department and on line.
avoid Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) cables. They will work, but they need to be much larger.

On interconnect cables:
Interconnects that use Belden, Canare or Mogami bulk cables are good.

Last edited:

Rhamnetin

I recommend pro audio cables like Mogami, Canare, Gotham. Good prices, excellent build quality, tried and true.

D

Deleted member 21114

Cardas Crosslink
"Design/Construction: Conductors: Air-tube core, grade 1 oxygen free copper. Gauge sizes scaled to Golden Ratio proportions. Cross-field layer geometry, insulated in a poly jacket."

The Golden Ratio bullshit and cable bullshit have merged! Run for your lives!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A couple more notes -

Lower gauge wire is thicker (larger conductor diameter).

The only real concern, and it's a minor concern with short connections, is wire resistance.

The resistance (Ohms) should be much-lower than the speaker impedance (also Ohms).

The shorter the wire the less resistance and the lower the gauge the less resistance. 16 AWG wire has a resistance of 4-Ohms per 1000 feet. It's a "round trip" (both wires) so 1000 feet of speaker wire would be 8-Ohms, so no good!

Wire Resistance Chart

P.S.
Juist to avoid any other snake oil.... Line-level cables are not critical as long as they are shielded.

Headphone cables aren't critical at all. They don't have to be shielded and headphone impedance is much higher than speakers so the resistance isn't an issue.

If you have a turntable, the cable has a certain capacitance per-foot and the capacitance load on the phono cartridge changes the frequency response so those cables CAN be critical, especially if they are long. And of course they MUST be shielded because the cartridge impedance is high, and the signal is low (and the preamp gain is high). These two things tend to make hum pick-up more of a problem than other connections.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your speaker is rated 6 ohm. Probably a good 14 awg (gauge) cable would do if the run isn't too long. Otherwise maybe 12 gauge would be better. How long a cable do you need? You don't need or benefit from any special or expensive. If you just want something nice, and supple some Canare of Mogami speaker cable is very nice. Some Canare from Blue Jeans with ultrasonically welded ends at 12 foot would set you back $135/pr. Even that is more than you need really. You could buy the bulk cable for $1.5 a foot, and put ends on it yourself.

Or something like these which are something of a Canara knock-off, but they are fine.

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
I use the Audited OFC 14 gauge cable from parts express (you can get it on amazon too). Then I get some Banana connector ends from Amazon.

All you need are some simple wire cutters. No soldering necessary.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1000025211.png

Not dave

I seem to remember an article from decades ago where a British manufacturer were demoing at an audio show and the journalist noticed they were using armoured power cable to connect their speakers (like you’d use for a garden strimmer or lawnmower). I’ve tired to google this but have drawn a blank.
Did I dream this ?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roger Russel (RIP), who was the head of speaker design for McIntosh for many years, laughed at the BS surrounding loudspeaker cable discussions. But he left us his thoughts, and his website is being preserved.

Rick "uses 12-gauge copper zip cord with his own properly crimped terminations" Denney

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I seem to remember an article from decades ago where a British manufacturer were demoing at an audio show and the journalist noticed they were using armoured power cable to connect their speakers (like you’d use for a garden strimmer or lawnmower). I’ve tired to google this but have drawn a blank.
Did I dream this ?
Why would they do this?

Operating a lawn mower next to your audio is rarely improving sound. But maybe it does?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would they do this?

Operating a lawn mower next to your audio is rarely improving sound. But maybe it does?
Maybe because their show setup gets moved every week and poorly handled by all manner of workers during each move, and that's the cable that could mechanically survive the abuse.

Rick "toughness and reliability is a different pair of objectives" Denney

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Maybe because their show setup gets moved every week and poorly handled by all manner of workers during each move, and that's the cable that could mechanically survive the abuse.

That must be it.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the dumb question, but how to choose cables for the speakers? I read couple of threads here, but could find a simple answer :D. I ended up with Lintons 85 and Leak as an amp, but now need to connect them.

Do I need to bother or just choose any cable ? I don't know what should be the diameter, or if it matters. At the shop I was suggested Cardas crosslink S1 or Chord Odyssey X. Do I need such expensive cables?

Will appreciate some simple guidance for the newbie :D Thank you in advance
Whatever the cheapest 12 gauge copper you can find on Amazon. 14 guage will be fine also if you are not exceeding 10ft lengths.

Try to avoid copper clad alumninium.

There is no benefit to expensive cables.

EG

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Or, it allows them just to bring one reel of wire - and use it both for power connections, and for speakers.

Last edited:

Leeken

Did I dream this ?
No you didnt,it was Peter Walker from Quad,and it wasn’t armoured,it was orange flymo cord,because it was cheap and available.
As far as I remember he also designed his amps by measuring,not listening.

Top Bottom