• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud do you listen (loudspeaker users)?

How loud do you normally listen (dB-A)?

• 50-60 dB

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • 60-70 dB

Votes: 49 26.6%
  • 70-80 dB

Votes: 83 45.1%
  • 80-90 dB

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • 90+

Votes: 11 6.0%

• Total voters

Marmus

S
Almost off topic but made me think (depends) been working in a cell that has speakers and had (sold them) amps that could generate >170 decibel, nitrogen powered concrete speakers. Who doesn't need THAT.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
S
Almost off topic but made me think (depends) been working in a cell that has speakers and had (sold them) amps that could generate >170 decibel, nitrogen powered concrete speakers. Who doesn't need THAT.
That is insane. Instant damage in an instant. Like a 50 BMG rifle. I always wear ear plugs and ear muffs for that.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
NIOSH has a free db app for iphone that I've found to be quite accurate when comparing to a calibrated db meter. (Within 1db usually). I highly recommend it. Unfortunately not available for Android (too many manufacturers, microphones, and gain levels to account for)

yep, the phone meters are surprisingly accurate. They may be off by a couple dbs, but they aren't off by 10 or 15.

I'm not interested in recreating the levels of a live experience. At least not most live experiences. I've been to a lot of shows, and I'm a punk fan from way back. I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 shows that actually really sounded good. Most have been way too loud. The best sounding show I've ever seen was Joe Jackson about 3 years ago. Moderate volumes and pristine sound quality. It sounded like listening to music on a good home system...as opposed to sounding like listening to construction equipment in a trash can.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
S

How old are you?

Hearing damage sucks. Tinnitus is not fun at all.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I typically listen in the range 65-72 dB. I'm 76 and stone deaf above 10k Hz. Also, I have mild tinnitus which I have had for many decades; it has gotten a little worse over that time but not a lot worse.

There are times I listen less loudly that I would like in consideration of household members, but typically I'm content with the 65-72 dB range.

Marmus

How old are you?

Hearing damage sucks. Tinnitus is not fun at all.
Past retirement but still working. Do have tinnitus. Some hearing loss. Turned up loud I still love audio. And I still get work around some crazy loud machines.

Marmus

That is insane. Instant damage in an instant. Like a 50 BMG rifle. I always wear ear plugs and ear muffs for that.
You can't go in the chamber at 170. Even at 150+ double ears does not do much and you can't stay there long. Can't think well either so gets dangerous. I find it less troublesome than a large cal muzzle blast personally.

Top Bottom