• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud do you listen (loudspeaker users)?

How loud do you normally listen (dB-A)?

• 50-60 dB

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • 60-70 dB

Votes: 49 26.6%
  • 70-80 dB

Votes: 83 45.1%
  • 80-90 dB

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • 90+

Votes: 11 6.0%

• Total voters

MDAguy

Forum Donor
No sure how this could work for headphone users (reading off the dB), so I'm limiting my question to loudspeaker users that can read dB with either a meter, or an app.

As it sank in how much of my hearing I've lost in the last 30 years. The army tested my hearing at age 20, and I was able to hear 18KHz, and now, at 50 I'm lucky to hear above 13KHz .. unsure how much of the midrange is lower than it used to be, but you can safely assume that's also not what it was at 20.

So, I'm using an app on the iPhone/iPad simply called dB Meter, there is a pro version for $49... or a free version that also will return a dB-A, dB-C. dB-Z etc.. I'm using dB-A reading.

The app will run all sorts of analysis of your daily intake of above "Safe" levels sound but I just use it while listening to keep an awareness of potentially harming my hearing even more.

So I wanted to see (with a poll) what the rest of us are doing?

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
At 54, my hearing ain't great either. Last time I tested myself I was topping out around 14.5khz. Plus, I have some tinnitus. I also live in an apartment and I'm pretty careful to avoid annoying my neighbors. Under normal circumstances my listening is in the 65-70db area (at my LP of course) but every once in a while I'll push it up to 75dbs or so. Frankly, 75dbs is pretty loud. Even if I was in a house and could crank it up if I wanted to I probably wouldn't go much over 75-80 very often. I put myself in the 70-80 bracket of the poll as that's basically my max level.

OP
MDAguy

MDAguy

Forum Donor
At 54, my hearing ain't great either. Last time I tested myself I was topping out around 14.5khz. Plus, I have some tinnitus. I also live in an apartment and I'm pretty careful to avoid annoying my neighbors. Under normal circumstances my listening is in the 65-70db area (at my LP of course) but every once in a while I'll push it up to 75dbs or so. Frankly, 75dbs is pretty loud. Even if I was in a house and could crank it up if I wanted to I probably wouldn't go much over 75-80 very often. I put myself in the 70-80 bracket of the poll as that's basically my max level.

I can't get over the irony of your screen name!

But yes, I'm also in a Condo / apartment so limited to about 80 before they get upset, which is about the limit of my comfort listening anyway.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Giants Stadium show from 6.17.91. appears to be averaging ~65dB at the moment here. But it's (late) in the first set. Second set includes an in-and-out Dark Star jam so we'll see if it stays this low!

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Desktop system is calibrated to 74 dbc each speaker at -20dbfs. Normally listen about 10 db below that. Main system is calibrated to 80dbc at -20dbfs. That is usually listened to at reference or within -5db.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
dB(A) is lower, but I’ve calibrated my system so that dB(C) max peaks at my interface’s set max volume (with music) usually range anywhere between 80-86. Remember those are just the peaks. I can boost the volume manually if need be for the occasional blockbuster film. Most of the time I do keep it as low as possible with the aide of loudness compensation DSP.

OP
MDAguy

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Most of the time I do keep it as low as possible with the aide of loudness compensation DSP.

I like to listen quietly sometimes but hate the idea of losing resolution due to low volume.... excited to see how my incoming DSP will help with this.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Desktop system is calibrated to 74 dbc each speaker at -20dbfs. Normally listen about 10 db below that. Main system is calibrated to 80dbc at -20dbfs. That is usually listened to at reference or within -5db.

With each speaker... it’s either between 69- and 79dB(C). I say this because there is an adaptive volume level boost in JRiver that can be enabled or disabled. I enable it for streaming and disable it with local content playback where audio content of media have been analysed by the software and metadata stored as reference to auto-adjust vol. levels.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Another thread prompted me to put on a CD.

My task was to attack the pile of stale mail on the floor.

Then I remembered the question in this thread.

Without any conscious or calculated volume setting, it's this:

83,4 unweighted long term average
103.6 peak

No digital attenuation, and a setting of 35 (151 is max) on the preamp, whatever that means.

The volume at the listening position happens to be someplace right around "reference" level, if I'm not mistaken.

1607325092736.png

Oh dear, I have exposed my hole.

Around 48Hz.

Last edited:
OP
MDAguy

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Another thread prompted me to put on a CD.

My task was to attack the pile of stale mail on the floor.

Then I remembered the question in this thread.

Without any conscious or calculated volume setting, it's this:

83,4 unweighted long term average
103.6 peak

No digital attenuation, and a setting of 35 (151 is max) on the preamp, whatever that means.

The volume at the listening position happens to be someplace right around "reference" level, if I'm not mistaken.

View attachment 97748

Oh dear, I have exposed my hole.

Around 48Hz.

peak of 103.6?? wow, that's thru speakers too? Impressive (ears and system)..

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

monkeyboy

usually conversation level or a bit lower if on headphones....I hate loud noises and loud places....

Pretorious

70-80 dB. I started to measure periodically my listening through loudspeakers and headphones and found my preference to be remarkably consistent within this range.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Same here.

Average of between 68 - 73 dB. 75 - 79 sometimes when I want it "loud." I'm amazed how loud some people listen.

(Then again, my ears can come from being bludgeoned from a day in the studio/mixing, so I don't feel like assaulting my hearing at the end of the day).

Aerith Gainsborough

This is pretty much as loud as I go. At this volume I last around 3-4 tracks, then it gets fatiguing.
Usually I listen at -10dB from the volume measured below.

Unbenannt.png

Senior NEET Engineer

Between 65-80 dBC for pink noise at -20 dbFS.

Last edited:

gasolin75

dynamics can change as much as 20 db from lowest to highest or easily +10 from avarage, one of my phone apps can go beyond 90 db so 80-90 db when im playing loud is peak

Top Bottom