• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Long Does KEF Support Their Wireless Speakers?

jdjung

Was thinking of purchasing some KEF speakers but was a bit concerned on how long KEF will update their app and support firmware updates for there LSX 2 and Wireless 2 speakers? Does anyone have past experience with the first generation of KEF's speakers in terms of how long KEF supported them? Do the original KEF speakers still work with the newest KEF app?

Peterinvan

I have the LS50W first edition. KEF replaced both boards within the first year when the speakers developed a power supply issue. No issues, prompt repair by local speaker shop (Vancouver, BC). They have played perfectly now for years.

Only fault is the reset button, which I pressed too hard and made it non functional. I haven't needed it so no worties.

The new app doesn't work on the old LS50W.

OP
J

jdjung

I have the LS50W first edition. KEF replaced both boards within the first year when the speakers developed a power supply issue. No issues, prompt repair by local speaker shop (Vancouver, BC). They have played perfectly now for years.

Only fault is the reset button, which I pressed too hard and made it non functional. I haven't needed it so no worties.

Wow they didn't make the new app backwards compatible. That's concerning given the cost.

mSpot

Wow they didn't make the new app backwards compatible. That's concerning given the cost.
And equally concerning:
New KEF Connect app rating: 2.7 stars on Apple, 2.1 stars on Google
Old KEF Control app rating: 1.2 stars on Apple, 1.9 stars on Google

I suppose they did improve :rolleyes:. For KEF's 3rd generation wireless they might be able to produce a 3 star app.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Of course nobody knows, and KEF is not gonna tell you.

How long would you support it though, if you were them?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

When you run your audio via software, it's a trade off between convenience for long term practicality. I have two 'modeling' guitar amplifiers. Great for what they offer. You go 'on line' and download patches for various emulations. One major company (Fender) came out with a new line of modeling amps, and promptly discontinued software support for the 'old' line. So the consumer faces built-in obsolescence by way of 'new and improved' technology.

Fortunately, third party hobbyists have continued to 'support' these devices.

On the one hand, it's much cheaper for the consumer to model amps/pedals, than it is to buy and store the real things. But you are then at the mercy of the manufacturer should they decide to no longer offer support.

OP
J

jdjung

Of course nobody knows, and KEF is not gonna tell you.

How long would you support it though, if you were them?
If I was an owner of a speaker company I would try my best to have my products last as long as possible to build brand loyalty and consumer trust. Given how fast technology changes, I dread the day purchasing speakers every two years, like a mobile phone, becomes normal. At least with phones you get a steep discount everytime you turn in your old one and the process is simple. I suppose you could try to sell your speakers every two years to purchase a new pair.

I'm trying to purchase the simplest solution for my gf apartment slowly, given that I don't know if she would appreciate me buying huge floor standing speakers, amps and such. The strangest thing, she seems to have better hearing then me but doesn't care about audio quality at all and prefers to use her Iphones speakers vs. my DAP, amps or headphones including bluetooth IEMs. Her Apple Pro earbuds that I bought were used twice and now I don't even think she knows where they are at.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
J

jdjung

When you run your audio via software, it's a trade off between convenience for long term practicality. I have two 'modeling' guitar amplifiers. Great for what they offer. You go 'on line' and download patches for various emulations. One major company (Fender) came out with a new line of modeling amps, and promptly discontinued software support for the 'old' line. So the consumer faces built-in obsolescence by way of 'new and improved' technology.

Fortunately, third party hobbyists have continued to 'support' these devices.

On the one hand, it's much cheaper for the consumer to model amps/pedals, than it is to buy and store the real things. But you are then at the mercy of the manufacturer should they decide to no longer offer support.
Cool! I have a Marshall modelling amp as well as a Marshall tube amp and Zoom modeling pedal for my guitars. To be honest I use my audio interface software with headphones more than either amps to avoid noise complaints by neighbors.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you asked them how long they will commit to supporting the apps for?

What functionality do you lose if the app disappears? Do they have any form of local webserver you can access without an app to do something? These are the sorts of questions that need to be asked before buying any expensive kit that's at the mercy of their support whims.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And equally concerning:
New KEF Connect app rating: 2.7 stars on Apple, 2.1 stars on Google
Old KEF Control app rating: 1.2 stars on Apple, 1.9 stars on Google

I suppose they did improve :rolleyes:. For KEF's 3rd generation wireless they might be able to produce a 3 star app.

That is my major gripe with these expensive, everything-integrated speakers. If I pay over $4k for something, I'd like that functionality to work for a while. Otherwise give me the option to buy a scaled down version that just works as an active speaker. I know the speakers have digital inputs etc and that those will work... but then why am I paying for other stuff that will be obsolete in just a few years?

Reactions: ENG

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool! I have a Marshall modelling amp as well as a Marshall tube amp and Zoom modeling pedal for my guitars. To be honest I use my audio interface software with headphones more than either amps to avoid noise complaints by neighbors.

I have a dedicated PC to run guitar related software. It's the only way. Of course you are then not only dependent upon the amp maker's software, but the OS, which could change, making problems. For instance, Katana Tone Studio works with Win 10/11, but is not listed for anything prior. Who knows what will happen with Win 12. Apple is often supported. Forget Linux.

Also, you have to deal with sometimes wonky connections--stability is not what you might expect.

I'm actually surprised that hi-fi oriented software hasn't progressed as much as the 'pro' stuff. And, if you look at the ASR reviews, getting software to even work is often a big question. Bluetooth is always going to be hit and miss. But, in the digital realm there is really so much that can be done to manipulate sound.

As far as neighbors? When they come over to complain, hand them a tambourine or something to shake or bang on. Keep something cool to drink in your garage. Soon they'll forget what the hell they came over for, and will start having fun. :)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Industry standard M.O. is 10 years max (of course you will see some exceptions, so if a manufacture comment on this and say they support longer than 10 years, my statement is not invalidated). Some companies will hit 5 years and slowly try to fade into the sunset. But by the time it's 5 years, most firmware are stable enough and free from bugs.

BUT, here is the big but. . .if you have any product that has built in streaming capabilities, that capability is built using the streaming services' API to get the stream. These API can change or new API calls for newer features can be added. Or a new streaming services can come onto the market. If your manufacturer stops updating the firmware, well, things will eventually start breaking over time.

But if your speakers take direct digital input, then you can use that.

My systems at home all uses a PC to stream, because I know that streaming service apps will always be up-to-date and any new service will always make an app for the most proliferated OS of all time, Windows (please, this is not a OS discussion, Apple fanboys need not to reply).

YSC

Major Contributor
IMO I would think those wireless speakers, if have an option to be used wired, likely only supported for the Wireless or streaming part for 3-5 years max, since standards changes in that front pretty quickly and usually isn't that software upgradable. but also I would treat it as a 2 parts purchase,

1) A wifi speaker where you stream your iphone music on the fly
2) A long term speaker able to used wirelessly

2) likely can be supported or at least repaired for a lot longer, but 1) likely won't be able to be supported for a decade

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you tell your customers? Like you would state your warranty period?
I would as I want to use this opportunity to stay in touch with them.

OP
J

jdjung

Well I bought the KEF Wireless 2, and was trying to add local radio stations and podcasts on KEF Connect. I don't know if my GF would let me get a media stand with AMP and Streamer so went with the easiest and smallest setup. Does anyone know how to do this? I did search on Google and got nothing.

(Edit)I figured it out. At the bottom of the app there is a music note. When you click on this you can choose different stations and podcasts then add them to your favorites. At that point, you can access them on your homepage.

Last edited: