• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

From Eris Studio 5 to KEF LS50 Wireless 2?

HoleyMole

Hi!
In the last month I hastily renewed my audio chain with:
  1. DAC: Topping D70 PRO SABRE
  2. Headphone AMP - Pre amp: Topping A70 PRO
  3. Subwoofer: Presonus Pro Sub 10
  4. Speaker: Presonus Eris Studio 5 2nd generation
  5. Cable: XLR and TSR full balanced
I have two main issues with Studio 5:
  1. Even with no XLR/TSR cable connected I can clearly ear background noise coming from the Eris. I read (unfortunately after the purchase) that this is a "normal behaviour" for integrated amplifier in this low end speakers.
  2. When I use balanced connection rather than RCA, I have to put down the gain to the minimum level, otherwise I can ear sound crackling while listening to piano song. In that way, the "perceived volume" is a lot lower than RCA connection.
Since a week I almost fell in love of KEF LS50 Wireless 2 that seems to be unbeatable in the 2000 € range.
if I were to buy the KEF (and keeping the Presonus Pro Sub 10), should I expect a real improvement in terms of sound quality and sound stage over the D70 PRO SABRE and Eris Studio 5?
I've not heard many high quality sounding system, but I'm used to listen to headphones (DT 1990 PRO and HD600) and Eris Studio 5 doesn't seems so bad at all!

Many thanks!

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I really like the LS50s but obviously their very size is a limitation in terms of bass extension so in time think about adding a sub, the wireless have (somewhat limited) sub integration included in their app and their are ‘presets’ for the KEF subs.
I use the KC62 with mine and in a smallish room and sitting 2-2.5 metres away they are excellent.
Keith

OP
H

HoleyMole

I really like the LS50s but obviously their very size is a limitation in terms of bass extension so in time think about adding a sub, the wireless have (somewhat limited) sub integration included in their app and their are ‘presets’ for the KEF subs.
I use the KC62 with mine and in a smallish room and sitting 2-2.5 metres away they are excellent.
Keith
I would keep the Presonus Pro Sub 10, for now!

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes no need to change my mistake I didn’t read your list of components thoroughly!
Keith

Top Bottom