• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

Jmm22

Can these be EQ’d with a sufficiently powered amp to have good bass impact and extension?

I have my old DT770 and Fidelio X2s, but want a new setup. So I can buy a new amp and dac and headphones. I know closed recs for bass are the Fostex X00, 900, EMU Teak, etc. I prefer open because closed gets too hot on my head.

I can get the HE6 for $500 new. I prefer to get a headphone amp that can drive it (so that I don’t need other amps for IEMS and other headphones), but can also opt for a power amp/speaker amp if necessary.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can these be EQ’d with a sufficiently powered amp to have good bass impact and extension?

I have my old DT770 and Fidelio X2s, but want a new setup. So I can buy a new amp and dac and headphones. I know closed recs for bass are the Fostex X00, 900, EMU Teak, etc. I prefer open because closed gets too hot on my head.

I can get the HE6 for $500 new. I prefer to get a headphone amp that can drive it (so that I don’t need other amps for IEMS and other headphones), but can also opt for a power amp/speaker amp if necessary.
Yes. Very natural and well extended bass. But needs a good amount of low shelf and I prefer less than Harman usually.

PeteDzi

I add 6db in the lowest bass, and the results are excellent. Currently I use RME ADI-2 DAC, which outputs only around 1W into 64ohms

peniku8

Forum Donor

I use Oratory's preset to EQ them to Harman (?) target and then add another 10dB bass shelf, like I do on all my speaker systems and headphones, because I usually listen at low-ish levels, where bass perception is poor to begin with. Still, I have decent headroom on my EX5 to get some strong bass out of them. Not quite as strong as the subwoofer I had before I moved, but it's enough for me. Super loud bass is boring without tactile feedback imo anyways ;)

Jmm22

I add 6db in the lowest bass, and the results are excellent. Currently I use RME ADI-2 DAC, which outputs only around 1W into 64ohms
Thank you. It seems like there are 2 camps on this headphone: (1) plenty of modern amps can drive these or (2) only a nuclear power plant can power these.

I’m going to keep my amp budget around $500 max and grab a cheap DAC like a JDS or Topping.

PeteDzi

Thank you. It seems like there are 2 camps on this headphone: (1) plenty of modern amps can drive these or (2) only a nuclear power plant can power these.

I’m going to keep my amp budget around $500 max and grab a cheap DAC like a JDS or Topping.
Yes, so it seems,
Saying that, I ordered a Jotunheim 2 to see if it improves the sound. I read in several places that it's a good combo.
Elsewhere I read that Burson Soloist 3x is even better.

I will report whether Jot 2 powers them any better, but i have 4 - 6 week wait, before I receive the unit.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Topping A90 is a powerful amp at $500, and the D10 balanced DAC would do fine, and comes wih adapters to use XLR cables you might already have.

elgol

I am new and i can't understand why must uprise (a). the lower frequensies (i see linear frequency response in bass) ok with lowering midrange peak and (b). the high frequencies downrise (i see that they already lowering themselves)

AVKS

I am new and i can't understand why must uprise (a). the lower frequensies (i see linear frequency response in bass) ok with lowering midrange peak and (b). the high frequencies downrise (i see that they already lowering themselves)
EQ is to a user's preference. If you're fine with how a headphone sounds without EQ, or if you prefer different EQ then what's shown here, then by all means enjoy it.

peniku8

Forum Donor
A flat measured frequency response on headphones sounds different to a flat measured frequency response on speakers. The headphone target curves aim to restore a natural sound, similar to what you'd hear when listening to a perfectly flat speaker system (in a perfect room).
Therefore, even if the bass measures 'flat' on these headphones, it won't sound flat. The EQ fixes that.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's because it's the result of the Harman Headphone research. The Harman research, you'd have to read around it to understand why the Target Curve looks like it does. Try here:

gatorengineer64

Forum Donor
You need more like a fusion plant to drive these. I tried them with a geshelli Erish V1 and they made sound. This is a 1 watt Amp. I bought an Erish V2, which is 2 watts and the sound good. BUT, I think there is still more left in these. I am unaware of any 3 watt headlamps out there but these could use one.

AVKS

My THX 789 pushes them quite well via 'balanced' out now that I'm feeding it 4V from my Topping E50. The Emotiva A-100 makes them sing as well.

Last edited:

elgol

I listened to nbr recordings in you tube via rme adi 2 (high power) bass was huge drove them in my ears limits at -6 db but in some symphonic tracks might be a lack of energy

kwerkee

I haven't seen one but I am tempted to try one of these but haven't bitten yet because I am unclear on mounting. The head band is indeed the worst thing about HE6se. My HE560 V3 and Sundara are nuch more comfortable.

The picture before last frightens me. Do you need to make holes?

I want to try these https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/the-newly-enhanced-comfort-headband.html
Does anyone know if it would require disassembly of any kind?

RHO

Major Contributor
Just ask Hifiman about the headbands. They are happy to answer your question. I've asked a similar question and got a reply within 24h.

artu15

Heard back from Hifiman today and they're gonna replace the headphones. They offered either to send them back right away and I'd get a replacement from China, but alternatively I could also wait until January, when they have them back in stock at their warehouse in Poland, so I can send them there and would recieve my replacement with less of a delay. Since my compensation EQ works just fine I'm gonna wait and go back to my HE400i during the time I'm waiting for the replacement. Hope my replacement will come with impeccable channel matching.
I have the same problem with the crackling. Did the replacement of the headphones go smoothly? They want me to send them the headphones to a Polish warehouse and after confirmation they'll replace them with the new ones. But im a bit worried about custom cost or other things like that. I checked and 1 of the drives is very close to the magnets. I guess it could get damaged in any moment :/

Top Bottom