• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFi News review the Kii Three loudspeaker

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I wouldn’t trust any reviews, always hear the equipment in your own room.
Re BS some guy on here was stating that Genelec made all their own drivers, and yet on their own website they categorically state that they don’t, I was both equally shocked and disappointed!
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The Kii is a superb loudspeaker as it is, measuring flat to 20Hz in my room, you can see the measurements on my website, I will get the BXT module and report hopefully this autumn.
As it is the Kii and Dutch&Dutch 8Cs are head and shoulders better than any other loudspeaker I have heard.
Keith
Didn't they adjust the low end response spec about a year back, moderating it somewhat? I seem to remember they did.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks Kal I had forgotten about that particular award,
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
They state...

I'm not aware of magazines doing this sort of measurement properly in anechoic rooms unless stated.
Most speaker companies don’t have access to a AC , I bet the kii specs were assumed off paper then adjusted .

No surprise it’s not state of the art , it’s small guys doing what they can.

However it’s the right direction so some might feel it’s worthy of bullshit.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
For a business to be sustainable it has to survive its products or at least keep your investment ‘safe’ in your life time..

Good luck with that wrt audiophile stuff, including this speaker and no stereophile won’t brring this up when they are dishing out awards.. they don’t care, all stereophile cares about is subscription numbers and pushing the industry.

A bankrupt industry imo..,

Still why not buy a pair of active speakers , measure your room and maybe include some subs.. it’s all software so no need to buy anything expensive... according to measured performance. If your going to allow for listening room variations why bother with these speakers? Just buy a pair of decent actives and get some room correction.

Any evidence to the country?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
But that's this year Kal, next year a new story.
And five years it just might be "Kii WHO"? LOL ;)
Under the rules, products are only eligible for the POTY award in the year they are reviewed. Products "aged off" the Recommended Components list after 3-4 years (iirc) unless a reviewer is still using it or has auditioned it recently. This means that perfectly good and competitive products will fade from view unless someone (a reviewer) or something (a new version of the product that warrants re-examination) changes.

Who knows what will be five years from now?

P.S.: Next year, the BXT will arrive in the US.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Under the rules, products are only eligible for the POTY award in the year they are reviewed. Products "aged off" the Recommended Components list after 3-4 years (iirc) unless a reviewer is still using it or has auditioned it recently. This means that perfectly good and competitive products will fade from view unless someone (a reviewer) or something (a new version of the product that warrants re-examination) changes.

Who knows what will be five years from now?

P.S.: Next year, the BXT will arrive in the US.
Probably the reviewers mates product or worse still a product inspired by the reviewer themselves...

That’s how it works ime

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
??? Can we try that again, please?
I wish, unfortunately not so lol

The hifi media inform and are in collusion with those they are meant to hold judgment over, if you can’t see that compromises integrity I can’t really say anything.

I have no respect for any of it, you don’t get a pass from me because you seem like a nice guy and are well known.

However, what I think or know is largely irrelevant so as you were.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What about your reviewing considerations, or is that diffrent?
It is one of the many considerations that apply mostly to purchasing decisions and not to reviewing, although I have made some such comments in print over the years. The reader must apply his own personal purchasing criteria.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I wish, unfortunately not so lol
Too bad since I cannot understand the statement.

The hifi media inform and are in collusion with those they are meant to hold judgment over, if you can’t see that compromises integrity I can’t really say anything.
I see how it might compromise someone's integrity but I do not recognize its existence.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It is one of the many considerations that apply mostly to purchasing decisions and not to reviewing, although I have made some such comments in print over the years. The reader must apply his own personal purchasing criteria.
Just by putting it in the magazine you are legitimising the product, Most take the above caution with the weight it carries in context..

Maybe I’m too English or just too stupid but if find the industry you represent and have promoted deeply distasteful and dishonest. If I’m to believe your a exception then I can’t really understand how you can operate within it but then there’s a great many things that are beyond the understanding of a humble workman.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Too bad since I cannot understand the statement.

I see how it might compromise someone's integrity but I do not recognize its existence.
Well I know of products that were conceived by the hifi press and then in collusion with ‘high end’ companies made and passed off as ground breaking when in reality they were stuck on a hard drive for ten years and only seized apon due to said collusion and a glossy front page. I know of or have directly witnessed all sorts in the brief (3 years or so) time I spent in the bowls of high end audio.

All unrecognisable I’m sure.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Just by putting it in the magazine you are legitimising the product, Most take the above caution with the weight it carries in context..
I find that assertion nonsense. It is too low a bar. The magazine has published standards for accepting products for review and those include the proviso that the reviewer have no relation to the development or marketing of the product.

Maybe I’m too English or just too stupid but if find the industry you represent and have promoted deeply distasteful and dishonest. If I’m to believe your a exception then I can’t really understand how you can operate within it but then there’s a great many things that are beyond the understanding of a humble workman.
I do not represent the "industry." Direct your criticism with precision because I will not accept being tarred by presumed association

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Well I know of products that were conceived by the hifi press and then in collusion with ‘high end’ companies made and passed off as ground breaking when in reality they were stuck on a hard drive for ten years and only seized apon due to said collusion and a glossy front page. I know of or have directly witnessed all sorts in the brief (3 years or so) time I spent in the bowls of high end audio.
Yes, I know of such events in history but none of them first hand.

Top Bottom