• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are headsets bad? I don't see it.

Dazerdoreal

It seems like audiophiles do not take headsets seriously.

In a Youtube video, famous audiophile Crinacle mentioned that buying a headset is hardly ever worth anyones money, even for gamers.
He recommended going for third-party microphone solutions instead.

Judging by reviews and frequency response graphs, I don't see why. While I was not able to check all these out with my own ears, there are many promising options.

The idea of an audiophile headset became popular by the release of the Audeze Maxwell. According to rtings it is well-built and has a great accordance with the Harman target. (This was after Crin made his video.)

But there are also great-looking mid-price options.
- The Sennheiser PC38X delivers a 560s-ish bass response with a darker 650s-ish treble, microphone included.
It costs 119$ on Drop, so it is cheaper than the similarly-built 560s in the US, and it includes a microphone.
- The Beyerdynamic MMX300 has a preference rating of 91 and an amazingly extended upper treble (if you like treble). The sound signature, while marketed for gamers, looks better than most "audiophile" Beyer headphones. The build quality seems similar to their 770/880/990 series and the microphone receives a lot of praise.
- If you want to save money, there also is the Custom Game series which is basically the Custom series with a microphone. To my knowledge it will not be produced anymore but you can often find it on Ebay for around 100-150 Euros. The only other thing you need to do is then is to buy velour pads. It includes a switch which gives you control over the amount of bass.

(Personally, I use a Rode RTH-100M.
The frequency response is not exactly Harman by default, but the response is very flat so it is easy to EQ. Besides, I like the design and the comfort.)

So basically, I dont know what this is this about. Looking at these options, you might even wonder why people do not by a headset when they can have a microphone included.
Another advantage headsets often have is that they are usually easy to drive, as they need to be usable with a Computer.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think problem is not the headphones, its the microphones. Even Maxwell’s mic sounds bad compared to a wired USB mic like Røde NT mini. Some headsets do sound great indeed, but for mic I’d go for a seperate one.

OP
D

Dazerdoreal

I think problem is not the headphones, its the microphones. Even Maxwell’s mic sounds bad compared to a wired USB mic like Røde NT mini.
Not sure about the Sennheiser, but the microphone used in Beyer headsets is considered to be very solid.
That said, this is indeed another reason why I picked the NTH-100M.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The prevalence of terrible microphones in expensive headsets with onboard DSP and proprietary bidirectional wireless audio transmission has always mystified me. Manufacturers could very easily make use of high performance capsules such as the excellent EM272 or EM258 and achieve results comparable to those of a desktop LDC.

I have a very inexpensive mono headset that shipped with a terrible 10mm capsule and replacing it with an EM258 has rendered it my default streaming and Discord microphone. With a little bit of EQ, nobody ever guesses that it isn't my usual AT4040.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Manufacturers could very easily make use of high performance capsules such as the excellent EM272 or EM258 and achieve results comparable to those of a desktop LDC.
I pitched Antlion Audio on the EM272 a while ago. Sent them an audio recording, comparing it to their modmic 4.0.

They said they'd send it to their engineers but it seems like nothing ever came of it.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
They said they'd send it to their engineers but it seems like nothing ever came of it.
Their engineers sent it to their bean counters.
640px-Rowan_Atkinson_on_a_Mini_at_Goodwood_Circuit_in_2009.jpg

192kbps

I pitched Antlion Audio on the EM272 a while ago. Sent them an audio recording, comparing it to their modmic 4.0.

I have recently been recommending EM258 to gaming groups and live streaming users, but I don’t have any recordings comparing it with other microphones. Teacher staticV3, can you give me their recordings?

Top Bottom