• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Zarniwoop

I've noticed audio glitching disappears on the Tempotech on Windows laptop with Power Saver profile. Anything else, High-Performance or Balanced power profile it starts to glitch. Same with Roland Quadcapture. This is counter-intuitive: you'd think the high performance profile would mean less dropouts, but no. Microsoft has introduced updates to Windows that mess with USB audio timing/interrupts, it's a widely acknowledged issue, without a definitive solution, as yet.

nyj585

Does anyone else have issues on Android? It works on and off on my Samsung S20+. Firstly, there will get to a point about an hour or so in use that the phone disconnects and I lose audio on the phone. Reconnecting the S8 does nothing. Occasionally, it freezes/reboots. And also if I disconnect the device and I try to receive calls or anything, the audio will not play through my phone and I need to reboot.

I have tried it on my PC and I have no such issues. I updated the driver a few months ago and tried it again and had the same issues. I also tried with both USB debugging mode on and off.

I want to look at the Hidizs S9 as a possible replacement, but if the software issues are still around then I am less inclined to buy it.

Marfes

I see some are experiencing issues with their Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. I am too. Bought 1 unit from their official store on Aliexpress during the recent Black Friday sale. Just received them and got to testing.

My unit seems faulty. The issue I experience is crackling on the left channel only. Repeats consistently on songs.

Reached out to Tempotec and am awaiting a reply. I'll likely open dispute and try to get another unit.

Laptop: thinkpad t470 windows 10 using the included adapters
Phone: Mi A1

Last edited:

init

I have bought this dongle as it was going for £59.
I got same problems described here, lots of noise when using it with laptop, maybe this will help someone.

My laptop has only 2 usb-c ports, so I am a bit constrained, that's how it works:

amp <-> RCA <-> HIDISZ <-> usb-c <-> laptop:

No noise, working great, however, this block one of my thunderbolt3 ports, it's not ideal!

amp <-> RCA <-> HIDISZ <-> usb-c <-> docking station (dell wd19tb) <-> thunderbolt3 <-> laptop
amp <-> RCA <-> HIDISZ <-> usb-a <-> docking station, powered (dell wd19tb) <-> thunderbolt3 <-> laptop
amp <-> RCA <-> HIDISZ <-> usb-a <-> thunderbolt3 hub (but not powered) <-> thunderbolt3 <-> laptop:
amp <-> RCA <-> HIDISZ <-> usb-a <-> usb-c cheap hub (not powered) <-> usb-c <-> laptop

Noise starting on amp's low gain at around 9o'clock,

Now, interestingly:
using 3.5mm input in my amp, so dropping RCA - solves all the issues, there's no noise in any scenario above. I have tried playing with running laptop on battery vs charging, changing power profiles etc. but to no effect.

I don't understand why RCA cause troubles? Tried 3 different RCA -> 3.5mm cables (which work well with other devices anyway) and same.

Anyone have an idea what's happening? I don't mind running it like that, I am just curious what is happening? Thanks.

PS It's my first post here, I respect this forum, reading it since some time, Hello!
Excuse me my bolds, I believe there are useful when one is skimming through lots of posts to see the keywords, so he doesn't have to read everything but pick up the important bits and estimate whether given post can help him.

Veri

Master Contributor
using 3.5mm input in my amp, so dropping RCA - solves all the issues, there's no noise in any scenario above. I have tried playing with running laptop on battery vs charging, changing power profiles etc. but to no effect.

I don't understand why RCA cause troubles? Tried 3 different RCA -> 3.5mm cables (which work well with other devices anyway) and same.
Interesting. Perhaps the 3.5mm input is somehow better protected against grounding issues, that is if it's really no issue with the cables used.
Ground loop troubleshooting, always fun.... good thing you've found a work-around though!

init

Interesting. Perhaps the 3.5mm input is somehow better protected against grounding issues, that is if it's really no issue with the cables used.
Ground loop troubleshooting, always fun.... good thing you've found a work-around though!
The amp is JDS labs Atom, I had grounding issues with other DAC... but on 3.5mm atom's input. Go figure :D

zz218

Does anyone else have issues on Android? It works on and off on my Samsung S20+. Firstly, there will get to a point about an hour or so in use that the phone disconnects and I lose audio on the phone. Reconnecting the S8 does nothing. Occasionally, it freezes/reboots. And also if I disconnect the device and I try to receive calls or anything, the audio will not play through my phone and I need to reboot.

I have tried it on my PC and I have no such issues. I updated the driver a few months ago and tried it again and had the same issues. I also tried with both USB debugging mode on and off.

I want to look at the Hidizs S9 as a possible replacement, but if the software issues are still around then I am less inclined to buy it.

I have the same issue but only when connecting the DAC without anything plugged in. Make sure to plug in the headphones first to the DAC. When using UAPP however, no issue like this. I can connect the empty DAC first then my headphones with no stability issues unlike outside UAPP (Android resampling mode).

poppy

About to buy the Sonata HD Pro, 2 questions:

- Any issues with plug and play on Windows 10? I can't install drivers on my work laptop. Don't need ASIO or anything, just using for spotify premium.
- Any issues with using on Android phones (galaxy s10) without UAPP? Again, just using spotify.

Thanks

Marfes

About to buy the Sonata HD Pro, 2 questions:

- Any issues with plug and play on Windows 10? I can't install drivers on my work laptop. Don't need ASIO or anything, just using for spotify premium.
- Any issues with using on Android phones (galaxy s10) without UAPP? Again, just using spotify.

Thanks

I did get a faulty unit from the official store on Aliexpress. Seller asked me to install driver and all that but the fault is probably the hardware. Subsequently, however, I bought it for cheaper from another seller and just tested it. Now this unit works like a charm. No need to install drivers on Windows 10 using Spotify. Works with zero pops. So, I think I just got unlucky. Most don't seem to experience much issue judging by the high ratings of most customers. Still pops when I change tracks or adjust song progress bar on Foobar tho. But that's very minor.

poppy

I did get a faulty unit from the official store on Aliexpress. Seller asked me to install driver and all that but the fault is probably the hardware. Subsequently, however, I bought it for cheaper from another seller and just tested it. Now this unit works like a charm. No need to install drivers on Windows 10 using Spotify. Works with zero pops. So, I think I just got unlucky. Most don't seem to experience much issue judging by the high ratings of most customers. Still pops when I change tracks or adjust song progress bar on Foobar tho. But that's very minor.
Thanks can I ask where you bought it second time?

Marfes

Yup doesn't ship to me. Almost same price as Ali though so I will take the risk!

Yeah. Probably only for Singapore residents. I assume you are EU or USA, so Aliexpress is your best bet at one. Wish you luck and happy listening~

antifocus

I bought the Sonata HD Pro a few weeks back in China, so YMMV.
There's popping sound when I change tracks on Windows 10 desktop, then I updated the firmware to 3.0 and installed the driver under the Sonata HD section on their homepage. Everything working flawlessly since.
Also working fine on android devices, plug and play, with spotify.
FWIW, it's been flawless on Macs running Big Sur too.

Veri

Master Contributor
I bought the Sonata HD Pro a few weeks back in China, so YMMV.
There's popping sound when I change tracks on Windows 10 desktop, then I updated the firmware to 3.0 and installed the driver under the Sonata HD section on their homepage. Everything working flawlessly since.
Also working fine on android devices, plug and play, with spotify.
FWIW, it's been flawless on Macs running Big Sur too.
Great news all around! Thanks for reporting ;)

Sixte

Hi,

I bought a S8 from the official store on Dec. 2nd and I don't see any progress with the parcel still stuck in China. Does anyone have the same experience ? I chose normal shipping and true they announce long delivery times via this shipment method...
Cheers
Greg

whaleboard

I'm experiencing some pops and cracks with my Sonata HD Pro plugged into my Macbook Pro Touchbar 15" using the provided USB-C to Micro-USB cable. Mainly when using Safari and browsing youtube for instance. It gets worse when I set the sample rate higher.

I don't know which firmware I'm using at is doesn't say in my computer System Informations. Here's a screenshot. I did not update the firmware since I received it, early november, ordered from Tempotec Aliexpress' store.

Is it possible to update the firmware from MacOS or do I need to run Parallels or Wine to do so?

screenshot 2020-12-10 at 16.33.05.jpg

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I bought a S8 from the official store on Dec. 2nd and I don't see any progress with the parcel still stuck in China. Does anyone have the same experience ? I chose normal shipping and true they announce long delivery times via this shipment method...
Cheers
Greg

I don't know about the HIDISZ store. But it's quite common for mail to get stuck in China for a while. And sometimes tracking doesn't get updated even when it is moving. Also, some Chinese mail tracking websites seem to work better than others. In my experience, it's all a bit of a mess :)

And whatever you do, don't order in the couple of weeks leading up to or during the Chinese New Year celebration. Mail doesn't move. lol

Sixte

Thanks for your comment. I don't have much experience with ordering from China directly. I've sent them a message last week to get some more info but got no answer so far. In the meantime, the tracking has been updated but the parcel still appears in China 11 days after placing the order. Not very impressive customer care... :(

Top Bottom