• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with understanding sampling rate for DSP.

Oski1928

Hi, quick question. I’m looking at the DMP-A8 and its DSP capabilities. I see people talking about the fact that the DSP resamples hi res audio to 48khz. On this site I thought it was pretty well established that “hi res” audio (specifically its sampling rate for the purposes of this discussion) has no audible benefit. If this is the case then why would the same group of people view fact that DSP resamples to 48khz as a negative?

I have no opinion here and actually ask as a question. Am I missing something in regards to sampling rate being different in this context? Thanks!

Keith_W

Major Contributor
The higher the sampling rate, the finer your corrections can be, but at a price.

Suppose you want to time align speaker A to speaker B. It could be your midrange to your tweeter, or surround speakers to listening position, or mains to subs. At 48kHz sampling rate, you can do it in (1/48000 * 1000) = 0.0208ms increments. At 96kHz sampling rate, that's 0.0104ms. I highly doubt anybody can hear that difference, but it does produce nice looking graphs to show off on ASR ;)

1704585189650.jpeg

The downside of higher sampling rate is that you lose resolution if you are limited by processing power. Some less powerful DSP units might have 1024 taps per channel. So at 48kHz, the frequency "block" you can correct is 48000/1024 = 46.9Hz. If you sample at 96kHz, it's 93.8Hz. Sampling at 48kHz with only 1024 taps only gives you 2 bins to correct below 100Hz, that is clearly not enough. In that case you are better off sampling at 24kHz if your DSP software/hardware allows it, since it doubles the number of bins available to 4. Still inadequate IMO but better than only 2.

OP
O

Oski1928

The higher the sampling rate, the finer your corrections can be, but at a price.

Suppose you want to time align speaker A to speaker B. It could be your midrange to your tweeter, or surround speakers to listening position, or mains to subs. At 48kHz sampling rate, you can do it in (1/48000 * 1000) = 0.0208ms increments. At 96kHz sampling rate, that's 0.0104ms. I highly doubt anybody can hear that difference, but it does produce nice looking graphs to show off on ASR ;)

View attachment 340172

The downside of higher sampling rate is that you lose resolution if you are limited by processing power. Some less powerful DSP units might have 1024 taps per channel. So at 48kHz, the frequency "block" you can correct is 48000/1024 = 46.9Hz. If you sample at 96kHz, it's 93.8Hz. Sampling at 48kHz with only 1024 taps only gives you 2 bins to correct below 100Hz, that is clearly not enough. In that case you are better off sampling at 24kHz if your DSP software/hardware allows it, since it doubles the number of bins available to 4. Still inadequate IMO but better than only 2.
Lost me a little with bins, but overall thank you for the information. I definitely understand your initial and main point.

Edit: I put a laughing emoji after “bins”. I guess that doesn’t translate to the forum, but I wanted to provide context to the tone of my statement.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Umm, the last time I used this analogy on ASR I was criticized for it ... but it does make it easier to understand. Think of a "bins" as bands in a parametric equalizer. Suppose you have a 10 band PEQ and you set it up so that it only corrects the lowest 1000Hz in your system. Each band will be 100Hz wide. If you make it correct 10kHz, then each band is 1000Hz wide.

In the same way, 1024 "bands" in a 48kHz system = each band is 46.9Hz wide ... 1024 bands in a 96kHz system = each band 93.8Hz ... and so on.

More powerful DSP units have more "taps", e.g. I use Acourate which gives you 131,000 taps per channel. So if I sample at 48kHz, my "bands" are only 0.37Hz wide. If I want to correct below 100Hz, I have (100/0.37) = 270 bins to play with. This is clearly overkill and most of us (or maybe all of us!) don't need this, but it is nice to have.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At 48kHz sampling rate, you can do it in (1/48000 * 1000) = 0.0208ms increments
I think that is not the case. With Digital sampling there is no time resolution problem - as shown in the monty video (shortly after 20:30). You can time shift the band limited signal by very much smaller amounts*, independent of sample rate.

*See post #10 from @pkane below.

EDITED : to correct time resolution from infinte.

Last edited:
OP
O

Oski1928

Umm, the last time I used this analogy on ASR I was criticized for it ... but it does make it easier to understand. Think of a "bins" as bands in a parametric equalizer. Suppose you have a 10 band PEQ and you set it up so that it only corrects the lowest 1000Hz in your system. Each band will be 100Hz wide. If you make it correct 10kHz, then each band is 1000Hz wide.

In the same way, 1024 "bands" in a 48kHz system = each band is 46.9Hz wide ... 1024 bands in a 96kHz system = each band 93.8Hz ... and so on.

More powerful DSP units have more "taps", e.g. I use Acourate which gives you 131,000 taps per channel. So if I sample at 48kHz, my "bands" are only 0.37Hz wide. If I want to correct below 100Hz, I have (100/0.37) = 270 bins to play with. This is clearly overkill and most of us (or maybe all of us!) don't need this, but it is nice to have.
Thanks for that, helped give me a better understanding for sure!

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I think that is not the case. With Digital sampling there is no time resolution problem - as shown in the monty video (shortly after 20:30). You can time shift the band limited signal by infinitely small amounts regardless of sample rate.

Yeah, aware of that. I didn't want to make the explanation too complicated.

BTW I haven't seen that Monty video ... can I have a link, please?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that is not the case. With Digital sampling there is no time resolution problem - as shown in the monty video (shortly after 20:30). You can time shift the band limited signal by infinitely small amounts regardless of sample rate.

There is a limit to time resolution of sampled audio, but it isn't related to the sampling rate, but rather to the number of bits per sample:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, quick question. I’m looking at the DMP-A8 and its DSP capabilities. I see people talking about the fact that the DSP resamples hi res audio to 48khz. On this site I thought it was pretty well established that “hi res” audio (specifically its sampling rate for the purposes of this discussion) has no audible benefit. If this is the case then why would the same group of people view fact that DSP resamples to 48khz as a negative?

I have no opinion here and actually ask as a question. Am I missing something in regards to sampling rate being different in this context? Thanks!

Resampling is just an extra step in the process that can be done well, or not so well. Resampling to the same rate makes the job of the DSP implementer easier, but otherwise, doesn't necessarily improve anything. It can add distortions and other artefacts if not done correctly.

I suspect that "purists" will insist on no resampling, but that isn't something that can be claimed to be better in general. It'll depend on the actual DSP+resampler implementation. Some DSP may actually need upsampling internally to eliminate aliases and to simplify filtering.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a limit to time resolution of sampled audio, but it isn't related to the sampling rate, but rather to the number of bits per sample:

Thanks for the clarification. I think I've been aware of this in the past, and my "infinite" statement is clearly incorrect.

Though we should also point out : nearly 1000 times better at red-book. Nearly 256000 times better at 24bit.

I'm not going to lose sleep any time soon - though, for accuracy I'll remove "infinitely" from my post.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

To be clear, this only applies to (certain types of) convolution filters (FIR). The majority of DSP solutions commercially available do not support FIR. The alternative, IIR does not have such limitations and its used in the vast majority of cases. A hybrid of both is also possible, like Dirac or Audyssey do.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I see that Monty, and raise a Youngmoo Kim (more obscure but i highly recommend it - it is a series)
i got an allergic reaction from the gratuitous background music and visual effects. and the pronouncement "A signal is anything that provides information or data." i'll take that sentence outside and beat it up. 1. information is not the same as data. 2. a research intern can provide data but i wouldn't call her a signal.

YouTube Splainers. tough genre.

MCH

Major Contributor
i'll take your sentences outside and beat them up.

1. information is not the same as data.
and the sentence does not say that, more the opposite, it says "information OR data"
2. a research intern can provide data but i wouldn't call her a signal.
neither says that, it says that a signal can provide data, not that any data comes always in the form of a signal

YouTube Splainers. tough genre.
It is not a YouTube Splainer. As written in the description is a course from the Drexel University, which i suspect but can't assure, professor Kim recording during covid times. I really recommend you to watch the series, it is very easy to follow and the best explanation for noobs that i know of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom