• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Power Supply

Hello, guys, first Time poster and Newbie...

I was planing on building an amp using the 3E Audio 480-1-9A Modules in the next Months and I was browsing some Parts when I came across these Power supplies on local classifieds and they were Mean Well which I understood is a good brand, but they are originally designed for LED-s. I picked them up since the were not very used and were relatively cheap considering: 40 Eur a Piece.... But now I am Wondering, are these suited as an amplifier Power supply? Was this a good choice?

Any Help or advice would be appreciated, Thank you guys.

Info:

Mean Well HLG-320H-36B

Attachments

• HLG-320H-36B1.JPG
    HLG-320H-36B1.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 67
  • HLG-320H-36B2.JPG
    HLG-320H-36B2.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 65

solderdude

Grand Contributor
These are designed for continuous load and the voltage does not have to be very stable so not low noise.
Also these are dimmable.
These are not properties desirable for audio gear and certainly not for speaker amps.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
However, I'm thinking that if they are used in constant voltage mode - they will probably work OK.

Can't work out from the data sheet though how you set the mode to constant voltage.

EDIT : seems if the output current is less than the set constant current, then it will operate in constant voltage mode. Means you will get a hard current limit when that value is reached.

I wouldn't buy them for the application - but if I already had them, I'd probably give it a try.

Last edited:
OP
V
Ok, thank you Guys.
@antcollinet Thanks so much, not sure what the reply means, but I will try to figure it out. :)
I will test them on the Multimeter to see how stable the voltage is, but i think i will try them, the seem extremely well built, if it sounds bad I can always sell them...Which Mean Well series would you recommend to buy if you would buy them ?

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hello, guys, first Time poster and Newbie...

I was planing on building an amp using the 3E Audio 480-1-9A Modules in the next Months and I was browsing some Parts when I came across these Power supplies on local classifieds and they were Mean Well which I understood is a good brand, but they are originally designed for LED-s. I picked them up since the were not very used and were relatively cheap considering: 40 Eur a Piece.... But now I am Wondering, are these suited as an amplifier Power supply? Was this a good choice?

Any Help or advice would be appreciated, Thank you guys.

Info:

Mean Well HLG-320H-36B

These power supplies are designed to output a constant current and a constant voltage. All this with the highest possible efficiency.
This means that these power supplies are designed to adapt to constant power consumption in a self-optimizing manner. Unfortunately, this is the opposite of what you would expect from a power supply for an amplifier.
It would be interesting to know if it has any audible effects.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Ok, thank you Guys.
@antcollinet Thanks so much, not sure what the reply means, but I will try to figure it out. :)
I will test them on the Multimeter to see how stable the voltage is, but i think i will try them, the seem extremely well built, if it sounds bad I can always sell them...Which Mean Well series would you recommend to buy if you would buy them ?

Thank you! :)
In my opinion and experience, the HRP industrial power supplies from Mean Well are very ideal for audio amplifiers.
In addition to the 5-year guarantee and efficiency, the testing and development standards for these power supplies are very high.
It is important not to select these power supplies too large, as that would be a waste of money and the power supplies would be mismatched. The HRP power supplies deliver 250% power for a short time (approx. 5 seconds). Therefore, you should never select the power above the maximum amplifier input power, but rather slightly below it.
For a TPA3255 with 48 volts, 300 watts (over 600 watts in 5 seconds) are more than sufficient for the HRP.
With a topping PA5 II/Plus, the HRP-150-36 would deliver significantly more power than the Plus version and, with cabling, would not even be more expensive than the 80 $/€ surcharge on the Plus version. The HRP-200-36 would be overkill here, run with poorer efficiency and be a waste of money.
But that's just an example.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These power supplies are designed to output a constant current and a constant voltage.
Not both at the same time. They are either outputting a constant voltage OR a constant current.

At no load it will output maximum voltage. As the load increases (reducing impedance) the current will increase, still with constant voltage, until the fixed current setting is reached. After this point - if the load impedance reduces further, the current will remain the same, but the voltage will reduce.

As shown by this output characteristic...

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 14.27.56.png

MCH

Major Contributor
In my opinion and experience, the HRP industrial power supplies from Mean Well are very ideal for audio amplifiers.
In addition to the 5-year guarantee and efficiency, the testing and development standards for these power supplies are very high.
It is important not to select these power supplies too large, as that would be a waste of money and the power supplies would be mismatched. The HRP power supplies deliver 250% power for a short time (approx. 5 seconds). Therefore, you should never select the power above the maximum amplifier input power, but rather slightly below it.
For a TPA3255 with 48 volts, 300 watts (over 600 watts in 5 seconds) are more than sufficient for the HRP.
With a topping PA5 II/Plus, the HRP-150-36 would deliver significantly more power than the Plus version and, with cabling, would not even be more expensive than the 80 $/€ surcharge on the Plus version. The HRP-200-36 would be overkill here, run with poorer efficiency and be a waste of money.
But that's just an example.
All, what would be your choice for a passive cooling one from the Meanwell range? Edit: for a power amp

Roland68

Major Contributor
Not both at the same time. They are either outputting a constant voltage OR a constant current.

At no load it will output maximum voltage. As the load increases (reducing impedance) the current will increase, still with constant voltage, until the fixed current setting is reached. After this point - if the load impedance reduces further, the current will remain the same, but the voltage will reduce.

As shown by this output characteristic...

View attachment 350757
Of course you're absolutely right, but I didn't want to go that deep into it. Mean Well itself calls the whole thing “Constant Voltage + Constant Current LED Driver” or “dual mode constant voltage and constant current output”
I also had the opportunity to get HLG power supplies very cheaply, but a technician gave me the information that these power supplies are not designed for constant load changes, react very slowly to load changes and the durability can be significantly reduced under such circumstances. In addition, these power supplies have a very high THD (approx. 4-8%), which is said to worsen with constant load changes.
Every single point is already a KO criterion for me.
Someone then bought these power supplies for a small CNC milling machine, but that didn't work at all and he sold the HLG power supplies again.

Roland68

Major Contributor
All, what would be your choice for a passive cooling one from the Meanwell range? Edit: for a power amp
I would definitely use an HRP power supply with 48 volts (adjustable 41-51 volts) for the 3E Audio 480-1-9A.
You can safely ignore the fan. It only runs when the power supply is under heavy load and with this volume you wouldn't even be able to hear the fan from 50cm away. With my HRP-300-36 and HRP-300-48 I have never heard the fan running on large speakers and I am very sensitive to any noise.
Depending on the speaker, efficiency and desired volume, I would use an HRP-150-48, HRP-200-48 or HRP-300-48 power supply. You could only consider the HRP-450-48 if you have a subwoofer that you often operate in the effective range of over 400 watts, but with the HRP power supply, less is often more.

If you take an amplifier and power supply per speaker, I would be surprised if you needed more than an HRP-150-48 or HRP-200-48.

MCH

Major Contributor
I would definitely use an HRP power supply with 48 volts (adjustable 41-51 volts) for the 3E Audio 480-1-9A.
You can safely ignore the fan. It only runs when the power supply is under heavy load and with this volume you wouldn't even be able to hear the fan from 50cm away. With my HRP-300-36 and HRP-300-48 I have never heard the fan running on large speakers and I am very sensitive to any noise.
Depending on the speaker, efficiency and desired volume, I would use an HRP-150-48, HRP-200-48 or HRP-300-48 power supply. You could only consider the HRP-450-48 if you have a subwoofer that you often operate in the effective range of over 400 watts, but with the HRP power supply, less is often more.

If you take an amplifier and power supply per speaker, I would be surprised if you needed more than an HRP-150-48 or HRP-200-48.
Hey Rolland, thank you for your answer, it makes sense.
My question is specifically about fanless PSU from Meanwell suitable for power amps in general.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hey Rolland, thank you for your answer, it makes sense.
My question is specifically about fanless PSU from Meanwell suitable for power amps in general.
I understood you before, but you are creating a problem for yourself where none exists in reality.
In the past, I wouldn't have installed a switching power supply or a fan in an amplifier. But a lot changes with experience.
HRP-150-48 and HRP-200-48 have no fans and the others only have the fan running as needed.
But almost all power supplies need good convection or active cooling above a certain performance class, even if they are fanless. You can also read about this in the manufacturer’s technical documentation. There are only a few exceptions to this that have additional passive cooling. I can't recommend the few fanless Mean Wells for this. The UHP-500-48 for example is a dedicated fanless design, but I would always prefer the HRP-300-48 or HRP-450-48 for audio.
However, compared to the HRP, they also have to be dimensioned to be larger in terms of performance.

There are also other manufacturers, e.g. Micro Audio, or take a look at baniboun's threads.

OP
V
Hey Guys, finally got around moving forward on this, i have decided on new PSU-s and gonna sell the HLG-s.
Bought a couple of Mean Well HRP-300N3-36 , decided on the N3 variant because those are designed for sudden changes in load, these can do 350% Peak for 5 sec. They have an EMI Filter built in and active PFC and the Voltage can be adjusted up to 39.6 V , which is perfect, was planing on running the modules (2x 3E Audio 480-1-9A) sub 40 V, i don´t need much power. Was also considering the Micro Audio stuff but it would be too expensive ultimately. May add Capacitor board to the Mean Well-s later down the road, but no idea how to do that... maybe after a while...
Sill deciding on the Other components while the modules come back in stock, will add an 2 or 3 stage EMI filter to the build, not sure which one yet.

Once the stuff is here I will start a thread in the Diy.

This is my fist build so suggestions and comment are very Welcome... :)
Thank you guys.

Attachments

• HRP3002.JPG
    HRP3002.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 29
  • HRP-3001.JPG
    HRP-3001.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 28
  • HRP-300N3-36.jpg
    HRP-300N3-36.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 28

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
V
4 - 10K micro Farad caps is huge. Can you link me to the power supply they connect to so that I can get more information please?
It´s in the link I sent, you can choose the power supply to connect to,
SMPSModel *
Select the model of SMPS, Image for reference only.

But Not sure how any of this works, will try to figure it out, but my knowledge is very limited for now...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It´s in the link I sent, you can choose the power supply to connect to,
SMPSModel *
Select the model of SMPS, Image for reference only.

But Not sure how any of this works, will try to figure it out, but my knowledge is very limited for now...
Hmmz.... I attempted Googling those power supply part numbers and had no success and only found a bunch of gobbledygook information. OK let me ask you the stuff I need to know. The power supplies are linear power supplies right with onboard smoothing caps already and no need for the external capacitor PCB? Adding the extra capacitors PCB is intended to provide more dynamic transient power output to the an audio amplifier? Is this all correct stuff what I asked?

OP
V
Hmmz.... I attempted Googling those power supply part numbers and had no success and only found a bunch of gobbledygook information. OK let me ask you the stuff I need to know. The power supplies are linear power supplies right with onboard smoothing caps already and no need for the external capacitor PCB? Adding the extra capacitors PCB is intended to provide more dynamic transient power output to the an audio amplifier? Is this all correct stuff what I asked?
No the Micro Audio are not Linear, they are switching Power supplies made by the Micro Audio guys, they are active here on the forum: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smps-for-audio-applications.14307/

The only info on the Power supplies is on their website and mostly here.

This is the Thread where I first saw them @daniboun used it and had very positive things to say about them, @CamRector Has used it also and he ordered the extra Capacitor PCB, it´s all in the thread. My build wa also inspired by @daniboun Dual Mono Bamboo build.

Top Bottom