• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me decide a subwoofer for music only and high WAF

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are there any objective critera for the WAF? Is the WAF a lineair or logaritmic scale? Is there a minimum? Does a certain WAF apply to all women? Is the WAF depending on the man or the relationship? Is the WAF negociatable with other issues like a new kitchen or more visits to your mother in law?
Dunno but it seems like a boolean variable to me.
Either true (accepted by wife) or false (not accepted by wife).

Frankly, it sounds oppressive and like a royal pain in the arse to deal with.
Sometimes, I am happy that I am a single. *chuckles*

DanielT

Major Contributor
Are there any objective critera for the WAF? Is the WAF a lineair or logaritmic scale? Is there a minimum? Does a certain WAF apply to all women? Is the WAF depending on the man or the relationship? Is the WAF negociatable with other issues like a new kitchen or more visits to your mother in law?
The interior of a combined living room, listening room is not something that only women care about. Men can care about it too. Even I, as a single person, would not fill my entire living room with speakers like these. That even if they would sound superbly good. Too big, not beautiful (that based on my likes and tastes):
Screenshot_2023-05-09_092040.jpg
cba0926267ea7b736e5b2a42d8d26f59.jpg

Here in the thread below, with 95 pages!, it shows an interest in speakers and their appearance, looks. With almost 100% sure no wives who wrote, published posts in that thread::)

JLGF1

If you cannot come to a decision with so much good guidance I'm beginning to think the wife should rethink you. At this point, you have entered the overthinking arena.

Frewat

So far I´ve compiled a list of subwoofers I often comes back to when I need to remind myself of size, price and frequency response. Perhaps I´ve missed any good ones to consider?

Märke/ModellDriverAmplifierFrequency responseDimensionsPris
Arendal 1S12.2”550W RMS26-200Hz (+/- 3db)41,5H x 31,5W x 41,5D10,990:-
B&W ASW6088”200W32-140Hz (+/- 3db)27,5H x 26W x 33D6,998:-
Lyngdorf BW-38”400W27-200Hz (+/- 3db)23H x 31,5W x 17,2D9,998:-
REL T/5x8”125W32Hz (- 6db)30H x 30W x 31D8,490:-
REL T/7x8” och 10” passiv200W30Hz (- 6db)32H x 35,6W x 36,3D12,490:-
SVS SB-1000 PRO12”325W (820W peak)20-270Hz (+/- 3db)34,2H x 33W x 37,5D8,290:-
SVS 3000 Micro2 x 8”800W (2,500 peak)23-240Hz (+/- 3db)27,8H x 29,7W x 27,1D11,990:-
The Arendal sub has the best performance of these subs. If your wife approves of it size wise, it would probably be the best choice.

Attachments

• arendal1simage.jpeg
    arendal1simage.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 66
  • svsimage~2.jpg
    svsimage~2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 68
OP
S

StefanSweden

You are overthinking this. For your use case (2.1 system, music only, average 70 dB level) the detailed specs are irrelevant, these are all perfectly fine. Decide on size, looks, and cost.

Subs are no rocket science. Go for either one of the SVS already (big/most driver area) before another 5 pages of this thread. Or change the wife, as people have been know to do in this time frame since the thread started ;-)

The Arendal sub has the best performance of these subs. If your wife approves of it size wise, it would probably be the best choice.

I hear you guys. Me overthinking stuff is the soundtrack of my life :facepalm:

I´ve narrowed it down to either SB-1000 pro, 3000 Micro or Arendal. Am I correct that all of those three would provide to the whole soundstage even if the listening volume is very low?

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Wifey, is that you?
Heh heh.:D

Speaking of big speakers with big woffers. Sometimes it's not the most sensible choice, for whatever reason. However, you can always dream, even if the realities of life kicks in.
In the first part of the clip, the salesman is honest but then gets scolded by the manager for being too honest. Whereupon, 1:30 into the video, he tries to sell the speaker: "Dominator":) :

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

I´ve narrowed it down to either SB-1000 pro, 3000 Micro or Arendal. Am I correct that all of those three would provide to the whole soundstage even if the listening volume is very low?
Yes yes yes ;-). Roll the dice, but decide. ;-)

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hm, I must have thought wrong. If you already have enough amp power from the start, with headroom, you probably don't need more for EQ.

I just thought of this in light of what was discussed in this thread, #43 and #44:
(see attached picture)

So EQing is the same as turning up (or down) the volume for a specific part of the frequency range. So if you already have the maximum amount of power the driver can handle, you won't need more than that to EQ. If you add power and then use it to EQ, your driver will bottom out.

So in effect, when you use EQ to add energy in a specific part, you reduce the total available sound volume.

Example:
Say at maximum excursion of the driver, you can play 100dB at 30hz, and you have enough power to do this. And at 100hz your sub can actually play 110dB.

So the roll-off to the sub and capacity of the driver is so that 30hz is 10dB down compared to 100hz. And you want your subwoofer to have more extension. So you fix this by using EQ to increase 30hz by 6dB. Your sub can still only play 100dB at 30hz, and we already established that you have enough power to do so, so that's fine - you have enough power.

But now 30hz is 6dB higher than before in relation to the rest of the frequency range. So if you now play 110dB at 100hz, 30hz will be 106dB, and your driver will die. As a consequence you now have to limit your maximum volume by 6dB to avoid bottoming out at 30hz. Now you can only play 104dB at 100hz, but with the added benefit of more deep bass at that level than before. More deep bass, less maximum volume.

Last edited:

JLGF1

The Arendal sub has the best performance of these subs.
?? Based on the thread posted specs....it does not from what I see; in the important range of 31-63Hz (for music). But, I'm sure it's good enough for the usage case.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor

YES! You are looking at three good subs. I don't know if the Arendal has the onboard DSP like the SVS. So, that might help make the decision. It is nice to have a remote that allows you to sit in your listening position and tune the sub to your liking. Also, see which sub has the longest full warranty. Sub plate amps are what is most likely to fail, if you have a failure. You have narrowed it down pretty good.

Frewat

?? Based on the thread posted specs....it does not from what I see; in the important range of 31-63Hz (for music). But, I'm sure it's good enough for the usage case.
It's definitely good enough for music. Between the Svs and the Arendal, 1 dB difference at 63 and 50hz doesn't matter that much I would believe. It's alot better in the rest of the frequency range.

Frewat

YES! You are looking at three good subs. I don't know if the Arendal has the onboard DSP like the SVS. So, that might help make the decision. It is nice to have a remote that allows you to sit in your listening position and tune the sub to your liking. Also, see which sub has the longest full warranty. Sub plate amps are what is most likely to fail, if you have a failure. You have narrowed it down pretty good.
I don't think Arendals subwoofer app works on their entry subs. Its for their 1723 subs.

It offers the same settings as the Svs otherwise I believe. It's real nice though as you say with a subwoofer app. Easy to change settings on the subs for different uses.

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I don't think Arendals subwoofer app works on their entry subs. Its for their 1723 subs.

It offers the same settings as the Svs otherwise I believe. It's real nice though as you say with at subwoofer app. Easy to change settings on the subs for different uses.
If Arendal doesn't have the SVS style controls, then it makes getting an SVS sub the thing to do. Millions of people are happily enjoying their SVS subs each day. Plus, they probably beat the crap out of them on movies too. The SVS 1000 Pro sounds like the way to go. Inexpensive and a very good entry level sub. Buy it now!:)

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know that 'music only' subs are thing, though one could make a case that the explosive content of movie soundtracks is rarely found in music.

The idea that a sub fully good enough for movies isn't 'good enough' for music , is laughable, though.

Frewat

If Arendal doesn't have the SVS style controls, then it makes getting an SVS sub the thing to do. Millions of people are happily enjoying their SVS subs each day. Plus, they probably beat the crap out of them on movies too. The SVS 1000 Pro sounds like the way to go. Inexpensive and a very good entry level sub. Buy it now!:)
If the app is that important then yes, the Svs is definitely the better choice. If you are interested in performance and never change the settings on the sub except changing the dB level, then the Arendal is better by quite a margin then the Svs SB1000 pro.

It's a choice of convenience or performance.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
If the app is that important then yes, the Svs is definitely the better choice. If you are interested in performance and never change the settings on the sub except changing the dB level, then the Arendal is better by quite a margin then the Svs SB1000 pro.

It's a choice of convenience or performance.
I checked the included chart and looked at the SVS PB 1000 PRO and 25hz it smokes the Arendal big time. No contest, the SVS would be a much better all around sub. Subs that can't play well at 25hz are not really good subs. All the ultra cheap junky subs play 40hz well and then crap out.

Top Bottom