• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much more do I need to spend to get a significant upgrade?

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my opinion the single most beneficial upgrade to any home HiFi system is adding DSP/PEQ correction for the bass range.
It is IMHO a much more audible improvement than changing out any single component (assuming nothing existing is truly terrible). There is a learning curve, however, but IMHO well worth the effort required!

So I'd definitely second the proposal to get a measurement microphone and play around with REW and bass range EQ.

Good luck! :)

D

Deleted member 48726

Few months ago I got a pair of Dali Oberon 1 and a Bluesound Powernode Edge. I later addad a SVS SB-1000 Pro as suggested by members here. I really like my setup. I know this is not a high end audiophile system but more a lifestyle system with a hifi touch :) I like having the app, stream service, small foot print, ability to connect to a tv via hdmi eArc, built in crossover ( high pass the mains and low pass the sub) etc. Can play loud enough to have my townhouse neightbours windows rattle (she´ve told me :facepalm:).

All in all I´ve spent ~2000 usd.

But.. and I guess we are all in the same boat here. Looking for the better sound.

How much would I realistically need to spend to get 50-100% better sound? What is better? Higher SPL, more room filling sound... you know what I mean. I would rather have as few components as possible and stand mounts.

Im not in the market for buying new stuff I really apprechiate what I have and consider my self lucky. But I have an inner debate with my self about this and I simply dont know the awnser to my question as Im out of my field of expertise.

On Reddit a user said in a thread:
Okay. I understand what you got.

What it sounds like you need is a pair of full range speakers with 300 Watts @ 8 ohm to back them up.

Is this realistic in a rented flat? No.

Is it possible to obtain what you want without moving? No.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Measure and go from there.

I’d probably go for cable lifers and putting crystals on top of your amp if funds permit.

:)

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Few months ago I got a pair of Dali Oberon 1 and a Bluesound Powernode Edge. I later addad a SVS SB-1000 Pro as suggested by members here. I really like my setup. I know this is not a high end audiophile system but more a lifestyle system with a hifi touch :) I like having the app, stream service, small foot print, ability to connect to a tv via hdmi eArc, built in crossover ( high pass the mains and low pass the sub) etc. Can play loud enough to have my townhouse neightbours windows rattle (she´ve told me :facepalm:).

All in all I´ve spent ~2000 usd.

But.. and I guess we are all in the same boat here. Looking for the better sound.

How much would I realistically need to spend to get 50-100% better sound? What is better? Higher SPL, more room filling sound... you know what I mean. I would rather have as few components as possible and stand mounts.

Im not in the market for buying new stuff I really apprechiate what I have and consider my self lucky. But I have an inner debate with my self about this and I simply dont know the awnser to my question as Im out of my field of expertise.

On Reddit a user said in a thread: Revel M16+MiniDSP+ Hypex+(SVS/Rythmik/Hsu) = the absolute point of diminishing returns.
@StefanSweden . I think your Reddit guy is about right in strict terms ... but that doesn't mean that there aren't significant improvements beyond that, nor does it mean that you'd be wasting your money spending more. Value is always personal.

The most immediate improvement would be a speaker upgrade. Depending on your room, a tower speaker is a likely improvement: for a start, perhaps a Revel M35 or M36.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
In my humble experience a cost efficient way to improve system is to buy higher end components second hand from private sellers (also b-ware or customer return items from dealers). And of course room acoustic treatment should not be forgotten.

Top Bottom