• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer for Genelec 8030 very rectangular livingroom setup

Good evening, afternoon or morning – depending from where you are reading.

So i'm watching this forum now silently for quite a while and now would be in need of support to understand/read subwoofer measurements a bit better.
The situation is as following: I've recently replaced my Klipsch RP 6000F floorstanding speakers with a pair of Genelecs, which are for some weird and unrelated reasons a childhood obsession.

Very happy with the additional visual space that the Genelecs provide in stands as opposed to the large black monoliths.
And furthermore I couldn't be more excited with the sound and separation in comparison to the Klipsch. I don't know.. despite being similarily priced and even having had a dedicated power amplifier before, I feel I never was able to position/tweak them to a level where they really brought me the joy that i'm now having with the Genelec 8030s.

The only thing that I'm now (presumeably) missing from time to time is some added support in the lower end.. having speakers that "fill the room" give me a somewhat cozy feeling. And I think the best way to achieve that is through a subwoofer.

I listen to music 80% vs. 20% of movies and occasional gaming. Mostly quieter electronic or jazzy stuff - and all of that at preferrably lower levels. And here I think it would be nice to have some gentle support in the low end to round of the sound.

Attached you can find a sketch of the room with some measurements. As volumetric measurements are also often asked for - the ceilings are 2.4 meters high.

As you can see, the room is very "narrow" or rather long and the listening space is just on the very end, near the big window (marked in blue).
So if I just go by the listening area, the volume of the area would be a lot less. But of course the waves like to escape - so i'm not sure if I need to take the remaining space also into consideration and therefore have to size the subwoofer differently?

Next "problem" is the WAF. I got permission for a sub as long as it is not too big or gloss white or gloss black. So a smaller case would be appreciated. We've seen a Dali E-9F in the flesh today and that got a thumbs up. An Argon Audio BASS12 was considered too big already. And a REL was titled fugly ;)

And third thing: As mentioned, i like to listen at lower levels and enjoy the music throughout the evening hours. And facing the long sides, the room has other apartments with levels above and below. So please nothing that would shake up the neighbours and their small kids ;)

All in all: Probably sealed over ported? Front and not down firing? Around 10" for the driver? Something else to consider? Or is that all nonsense given the rooms proportions?
The often cited SVS SB 1000 (not pro) can be had for around 500 here, but is a tad bigger (still doable) and 12" might be overkill for my purposes?

Budget is around 500-600 CHF/EUR/USD.

And there is then stuff around where I wonder if there would be any noticeable effect, such as the Q Acoustics 3060S or the Cambridge Minx X301, but which would hide themselves easily.

What would the audience do? Or what should I look for when reading the comparison chart? Seems like the stores are also not very interested in setting up a sub for demo-purposes.
Two stores just have a few models standing around, everything else on order and nothing is wired up unfortunately. Available to order is a lot though.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-29 um 18.50.42.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-29 um 18.50.42.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 90

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
I see no replies to this one, so you've probably solved it, but I'll throw in my 2c just in case.

I have a sub in a moderate-sized living room which is 12" and sealed like the SB-1000. I find it to be quite flexible - you can of course always turn it down if you find it's a bit much, but if you get one that's too small you won't have the same leeway.

One thing that helps with the neighbours is a nice thick rubber pad or feet. I like to think it helps the sound too, but didn't show up in my measurements of course.

Best of luck.

OP
K
Dear @ad_fletch

thank you for taking the time and reading.
I was hoping for an answer and almost went for the SB-1000 classic. Then I found a B&W ASW 610 on a local auction site in a city nearby and pulled the trigger for 250 Swiss francs / 250 EUR.

It came in white with two minor scratches on the case that don't bother me as I could fit it into the sideboard and thus they are not visible.

It provides some noteable foundation and I'm looking forward to take some time to set it up properly.

Don't have any comparison, so I can't tell what/if i probably miss out on with the competitors.

But it passed the WAF check and it stands on thick rubber feet. Nothing vibrates or rattles. But i'm probably also running it on very low gain.

Only notable "issue" is the low sensitivity of the Auto switch - takes quite some strong signal to power up the amplifier. But that is easy to fix by just a trigger cable and until then I need to reach behind the case every now and then :)

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
I also had to set up a similar system when i was living in Geneva - even though I'm in Australia now, I have sympathy for the Swiss "mode de vie"!

Have actually been considering ASW610 amongst others for my home office system. Low auto-on sensitivity seems to be a common issue, and I think I would find it quite annoying having to reach behind a sub under my desk. No idea how to find one with a sensitive input though...

Top Bottom