• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help choose small studio monitors for a small room, eve audio vs genelec

Jhify

Hi everyone !

I'm building a small home studio mainly for composing, producing and a little bit of mixing at home. (The main job will be done in a another studio, but I'd like to produce at home as much as possible)
My room is 12 square meters and will be treated accordingly the room acoustics in interaction with the chosen speakers once they're in the room.
I'm looking for neutral speakers and still fun enough to be inspired when I produce.

Today my short list is reduced to only two choices :
- Genelec 8030C (heard and liked).
- Eve audio sc205 (didn't have the chance to hear)

I know I'd be happy with the genelecs but I have read countless raving reviews about the eve which have got me interested. Unfortunately, they're impossible to find to have an audition in my country and delivery time can potentially be over a month and I don't know if it's worth the hassle.

Has anyone compared directly the two side by side ?

I know there's been threads about the 8030A or B and the Eve online but the 8030C seems to be a real evolution of the speaker and the frequency response isn't even the same than the previous ones. Plus, I don't know how the old models sound like.

If anyone can help I'd be pleased, I'll value any advice. Cheers !

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello,

I would not buy a speaker that I cannot audition. Specs of the Eve are good enough but I have more concerns about serviceability. What if a speaker fails?

p.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd not buy something that I didn't listen personally.
Especially for studio, when you have to listen these speakers for long time and at least don't get tired.
Folded ribbon tweeters are not good for anyone. Some find them annoying and wrong.
So, my vote is for Genelec.

OP
J

Jhify

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I had thoughts about sending back if I'm not pleased but I'd have to send back to Germany or wait for weeks or months.

I've read Eve speakers have some reliability issue with the amp section. As a matter of fact, I was planning to audition used ones, but the seller told me the very morning of the audition one of the speakers just blew up. On another hand, I emailed the customer service of the company to ask few questions and they are very responsive and helpful.
It might be worth it as long as they're under warranty but I'll never know, I can't find any to listen to in my area.

I'm really digging the DSP tech and the pcm to pwm amplification though. I hope more company will explore that way for their futur products.

Genelecs are probably a safe bet and the best way to go.

Cheers !

Top Bottom