• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headless Spotify server w. local storage support

skorpi

I need a little bit of your wisdom here folks. As the title implies, I need to run a spotify server in a headless configuration but it needs to be able to use the spotify connect functionality and download the songs locally. Playback then will not be using my unstable internet connection but the local files instead.
Also, it is important to have home appliance behaviour, meaning stable operation and in case of power shortage to get back to normal operation in a reasonable time, without the need to login to a linux prompt etc.
I would go with either something off the shelf as well as a diy solution.
Many thanks in advance!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need a little bit of your wisdom here folks. As the title implies, I need to run a spotify server in a headless configuration but it needs to be able to use the spotify connect functionality and download the songs locally. Playback then will not be using my unstable internet connection ut the local files instead.
What about an old Android Tablet or iPad? Seems like you can get older generation tablets with lots of storage for not too much money.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about an old Android Tablet or iPad? Seems like you can get older generation tablets with lots of storage for not too much money.
One of the cheaper amazon fire tablets on a black Friday deal. Even better if it has an sd card slot

OP
S

skorpi

One of the cheaper amazon fire tablets on a black Friday deal. Even better if it has an sd card slot
That could be a solution but I need to have the flexibility of carrying it around. A tablet’s output jack would have to permanently be hooked to an amplifier, so in order to make changes I would have to move to the amplifier which is not very convenient.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That could be a solution but I need to have the flexibility of carrying it around. A tablet’s output jack would have to permanently be hooked to an amplifier, so in order to make changes I would have to move to the amplifier which is not very convenient.
I'm not sure how that is less portable than some headless server box?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can put the headless box in a closet hidden and use spotify connect to control it.
Pretty sure you can control a tablet with Spotify connect

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, hang on, I think you might have a problem full stop. The device will have the files stored locally? Pretty sure you can only use Connect to play files over the Internet. It's not a remote control, it points the stream at another Internet connected device.

OP
S

skorpi

Oh, hang on, I think you might have a problem full stop. The device will have the files stored locally? Pretty sure you can only use Connect to play files over the Internet. It's not a remote control, it points the stream at another Internet connected device.
That could be a valid point, in which case, it simply cannot be done. I was hoping to be able to have spotify run in one system, have the files locally and control it with the spotify app on my phone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That could be a valid point, in which case, it simply cannot be done. I was hoping to be able to have spotify run in one system, have the files locally and control it with the spotify app on my phone.
I'm pretty sure it can't be done. Spotify stores local files under a separate bit of the interface. Unless when playing those you can do basic functions from a phone like skip etc, there will be no way to navigate to those files from the phone. You might want to look at an old laptop /headless pc and using windows remote desktop (the rds on your phone) but it won't be pretty.

popej

Doesn't librespot cache audio files?I have never tried, but maybe you could have several GB of music stored locally.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I the only one who, upon seeing this thread title, immediately had Warren Zevon running through their head?

OP
S

skorpi

Doesn't librespot cache audio files?I have never tried, but maybe you could have several GB of music stored locally.
Perhaps, but I am not that comfortable with linux to undertake such a task. Thanks for the contribution though.

Top Bottom