• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard R26 R2R DAC with roon

migo77

I took out my Rpi (which I was using as a piCorePlayer NAA). After putting everything back in place, here is what the lines look like:

Code:
stef@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo lsusb -v -t
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 5000M
    ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/1p, 480M
    ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
        ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
        |__ Port 4: Dev 6, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
            ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
            |__ Port 3: Dev 7, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=ch341, 12M
                ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics CH340 serial converter
            |__ Port 4: Dev 9, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=, 12M
                ID 1f3a:efe8 Allwinner Technology sunxi SoC OTG connector in FEL/flashing mode

The Gustard card is detected with 2 devices (USB serial and AllWinner) but it is impossible to communicate with the right driver under Windows.
I still think that the card is not in the right "state".
Code:
__ Port 3: Dev 7, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=ch341, 12M
                ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics CH340 serial converter
            |__ Port 4: Dev 9, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=, 12M
                ID 1f3a:efe8 Allwinner Technology sunxi SoC OTG connector in FEL/flashing mode
Do you have the same status? sunxi SoC OTG connector in FEL/flashing mode

And under linux you see a device like /dev/sda or sdb?
Nothing for me.. just Raspi partitions.. nothing in dmesg too.. :(
I have read and tried some solutions under windows (e.g. Zadig to install dirvers) but nothing.

I don't have R26 anymore. Is this posted lsusb listing while A26 completely disabled with unplugged power cable and connecte to USB-C port?

Zaurux

This lsub listing is done with only the USB-C cable and the A26 turned off (switch on the back to "off" but no cable removed).
I will try to find a support contact at Gustard. I wonder if it's normal that this card (uBoot partition?) stays on this mode.
And thanks for the support even though you don't have the R26 anymore.
Why is that? A new Dac ?

migo77

This lsub listing is done with only the USB-C cable and the A26 turned off (switch on the back to "off" but no cable removed).
I will try to find a support contact at Gustard. I wonder if it's normal that this card (uBoot partition?) stays on this mode.
And thanks for the support even though you don't have the R26 anymore.
Why is that? A new Dac ?
I like X26Pro more, so went back to it. I had playback stuttering on LAN and USB input too. :(

pbarata

An amazing DAC with a truly sense of presence and naturalness!
Nowadays DACs play an import role in a system, as the new formats like HD PCM, DSD, MQA and streaming services become available. While every other component can stay steady, the DACs are quickly evolving. For a couple of years, almost 15, I’ve have been keeping the Krell CD player, the Krell amplifier, the B&W floor stand speakers, the Rega turntable and Vincent phono preamp, only replacing the music player (streamer) and the DAC. So, I had some DACs from Cambridge Audio, NuForce/NuPrime, Gustard (X16) and Mytek. All different and each with their strengths and weaknesses. With R26 I’ve found a very nice balance for sound stage, detail, transparency, and pace, but the biggest difference is a truly sense of presence and naturalness which is amazing (the stage sound is so large that you may have to rotate speakers in to the listener position to have a better center image for voice). Using a music streamer running Volumio on Rasperry Pi 4 connect via USB 2.0 port, everything works fine too (current R26 firmware version is 1.4), without any issues (from Spotify, TIDAL, Youtube and local music database based on a NAS). The built-in streamer works very well, decoding all formats easily. Tried 2 configurations: 1st With Roon installed on a Synology DS220+ NAS (Intel CPU required) with a local library of music files and everything worked fine too. 2nd using R26 used as a UPnP renderer via mconnect Player Lite, but some improvement is required for this as, occasionally, the first time a DSD file is loaded from the NAS (using DLNA), there are some halts (these files are huge in size). Had 2nd thoughts about the A26 model, also a very praised DAC by critical listeners and reviewers, but there is something in the high processed audio signals from Delta-sigma DACs that make long listening’s easy tiring. In summary R26 is very musical DAC giving great sense of realism, excelling in bringing the emotion of live recorded music. For listening the best results are obtained in Non-Oversampling mode (NOS ON). Last a praise to Audiophonics which sent the equipment fast and very well protect.

Attachments

• 20230120_123509_small.jpg
    20230120_123509_small.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
I've never seen any actual evidence that HQPlayer improved the sound of anything. Lots of claims, but we keep asking for more. So far, no luck.
It’s free to try.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It’s free to try.

Did nothing for me when I tried it, but I only did casual comparisons. I would have to be convinced of the arguments made in it's favor or maybe see even a single controlled test by anyone backing the claims before wasting more time.

Nothing I've seen makes me believe it would improve anything. Time isn't free.

pbarata

Knobstler

Any audible differences and benefits using LAN noise filters (inductive galvanic isolation) on DAC/Streamer like Delock Network Surge Protector Model 62619 (https://www.delock.com/produkt/62619/merkmale.html), iFi LAN iSilencer - LAN Signal Noise Filter (https://ifi-audio.com/products/lan-isilencer/) or similar products? Some reviews gave high rating for this filters (https://www.lowbeats.de/schnaeppchen-tuning-plus-schutz.../).
I actually use the delock on my r26 and my nvidia shield pro. It works great the picture and sound have improved but not sure if it is juat placebo

pbarata

I actually use the delock on my r26 and my nvidia shield pro. It works great the picture and sound have improved but not sure if it is juat placebo
For the price I think I'll get a try with Delock. Later I'll report the results. Don't expect much as I have already mains conditioner from Isotek model Evo3 Aquarious (https://isoteksystems.com/products/evo3-aquarius/), able to remove Common and Differential Mode mains noise (each power socket is isolated from the others).

dlt123me

I feel like you're having a difficult time understanding what I've said.

I don't particularly care if you are ok with my methodology or my findings. It's completely irrelevant what you think or feel about what I've said. You don't have to believe me. You don't have to take my word for it. We don't know each other. Regardless of the title of this forum....we aren't scientists, conducting tests using any amount of scientific procedures. We're people giving our opinions on things and experiences. Take them or leave them.

I am here because I value objectivity. Again, this is why I have the components that I do. However.....if someone says that two dacs of different topology can't and don't sound different.... particularly when one is tubed buffered.........then why do I care what they have to say about audio? Particularly when we're talking about subjective experiences. And again....once the audio leaves the transducer, it is all subjective.

Did I level match? Yes. Did I do blind testing? Yes. Was I rigorous in my testing? No. Did I do this over several days? Yes. Was I able to hear a consistent difference? Yes. Do you have to accept my findings? Absolutely not. Does it matter if you do? Absolutely not.
I like this guy... Plus, I value others' impressions, and opinions, and I do hope he feels free to voice his feedback on this unit. Many want to know.

Last edited:

dlt123me

I've been out of the stereo world for a few decades, and finding this forum has saved me tons of money and time... and has been a wonderful playground to learn more about the mysterious, and sometimes, confusing, changing labyrinth of the Audio world.

If I'm not out of line, may I ask a couple of questions?

I am building a modest home stereo system, and it currently comprises a Yamaha RN-803 receiver at 100 Watts/channel, which I am selling, running into my Wharfedale 4.2 bookshelf speakers. For music, I stream Tidal through a WiiM Pro.

I have been considering Denafrips and other DACS, but the Gustard R26 seems to be a great setup. Until I purchase a new separate amplifier, is it feasible to hook the Gustard R26 into my Yamaha RN-803 receiver, and if so, how?

Would I hook it up to one of my RCA line inputs such as a CD input, or the phono input?.. or should I just wait till I get a preamp and a new Class D amp?

Note: I am going to be purchasing the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Amplifier, eventually.

--

It's been stated, that the Gustard R26 can act as a preamp. Is this true? If so, then I really don't need a preamp, since all I really need is my WiiM Pro for my streamer, and maybe an optical connection for my TV. That is why I'm considering getting the Gustard, and foregoing the preamp, and saving for the Amp afterward.

Am I correct in my thinking here, or am I misunderstanding what the Gustard R26 can really do? Afterward, I will sell my Yamaha RN-803 receiver.

Thanks in advance for your opinions... which I find intriguing and very helpful.

Last edited:

Knobstler

I've been out of the stereo world for a few decades, and finding this forum has saved me tons of money and time... and has been a wonderful playground to learn more about the mysterious, and sometimes, confusing, changing labyrinth of the Audio world.

If I'm not out of line, may I ask a couple of questions?

I am building a modest home stereo system, and it currently comprises a Yamaha RN-803 receiver at 100 Watts/channel, which I am selling, running into my Wharfedale 4.2 bookshelf speakers. For music, I stream Tidal through a WiiM Pro.

I have been considering Denafrips and other DACS, but the Gustard R26 seems to be a great setup. Until I purchase a new separate amplifier, is it feasible to hook the Gustard R26 into my Yamaha RN-803 receiver, and if so, how?

Would I hook it up to one of my RCA line inputs such as a CD input, or the phono input?.. or should I just wait till I get a preamp and a new Class D amp?

Note: I am going to be purchasing the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Amplifier, eventually.

--

It's been stated, that the Gustard R26 can act as a preamp. Is this true? If so, then I really don't need a preamp, since all I really need is my WiiM Pro for my streamer, and maybe an optical connection for my TV. That is why I'm considering getting the Gustard, and foregoing the preamp, and saving for the Amp afterward.

Am I correct in my thinking here, or am I misunderstanding what the Gustard R26 can really do? Afterward, I will sell my Yamaha RN-803 receiver.

Thanks in advance for your opinions... which I find intriguing and very helpful.
The gustard sure is awsome. You wont need a wiim since it has Streaming via LAN built in. You do however want to have a preamp since the first 30 steps on its Volume control are digital Not analoge. Therefor best to leave it at fixer. Maybe keep the yamaha and oder the r26 first and See how you like it.
Just plug the rca out from the gustard to any rca Input on the yamaha.
Dont use the phono input.

Last edited:

dlt123me

The gustard sure is awsome. You wont need a wiim since it has Streaming via LAN built in. You do however want to have a preamp since the first 30 steps on its Volume control are digital Not analoge. Therefor best to leave it at fixer. Maybe keep the yamaha and oder the r26 first and See how you like it.
Just plug the rca out from the gustard to any rca Input on the yamaha.
Dont use the phono input.
Thank you. I think I will take your advice and get the R26 first, as you mentioned. As I understand it, the Gustard R26 does not stream Tidal Connect natively, as it does Roon, so I may have to use my WiiM till they update that.

Last edited:

CALCULATOR

Has anyone figured out where to find the 5.70 usb driver that's listed on their website? Link seems broken, I sent em an email about it from the bottom of the page, i suggest you guys do as well to put some pressure

I'm a bit disappointed with the support for R26 it all seems so sketchy for how much it cost me ($1600)

Also, any way to check if the firmware updates worked? No indication anywhere in this poor menu of the r26

Hoochie

Has anyone figured out where to find the 5.70 usb driver that's listed on their website? Link seems broken, I sent em an email about it from the bottom of the page, i suggest you guys do as well to put some pressure

I'm a bit disappointed with the support for R26 it all seems so sketchy for how much it cost me ($1600)

Also, any way to check if the firmware updates worked? No indication anywhere in this poor menu of the r26
They fixed it. 5.57 ready

d3l

Can anyone share the firmware with tidal connect? Using mine with Wiim Pro right now but would love to try this out. If its works, I'd have one box less...

Top Bottom