• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard R26 R2R DAC with roon

Zaurux

@migo77
Please, for my curiosity, what is the result of 'service --status-all' ?

And on my ZenStream :
volumio@ifi:~$ cat /proc/asound/timers
G0: system timer : 1000.000us (10000000 ticks)
G3: HR timer : 0.001us (1000000000 ticks)
P0-0-0: PCM playback 0-0-0 : SLAVE

Last edited:

migo77

I received the file from Gustard but it didn't work on PC neither on phone.
Is this already available in working state?
Another question, maybe you can help me:
Unfortunately I bought the Mano MK2 streamer with Ps Audio I2S output.
I want to connect it to the R26 but cannot find a compatible cable.
I asked Gustard if they know about any solution but they told me to ask on forums.
Do you know where can I buy something like that?
Thank you!
Can you share that new testing firmware please? Some users on R26 HeadFi thread posted modification needed to get i2s to work, one pin needs to be modified on cable, if I can recall me correctly.

migo77

@migo77

And on my ZenStream :
here you are:
root@RPi2-renderer(ro):/home/migo# service --status-all
[ - ] alsa-utils
[ + ] avahi-daemon
[ - ] bluetooth
[ - ] console-setup.sh
[ + ] cpufrequtils
[ - ] cron
[ + ] dbus
[ + ] dhcpcd
[ - ] fake-hwclock
[ - ] hwclock.sh
[ - ] keyboard-setup.sh
[ + ] kmod
[ ? ] listen-for-shutdown.sh
[ + ] loadcpufreq
[ + ] mpd
[ + ] networking
[ - ] nfs-common
[ + ] ntpsec
[ - ] paxctld
[ + ] procps
[ + ] rng-tools-debian
[ - ] rpcbind
[ - ] rsync
[ - ] shairport-sync
[ + ] ssh
[ - ] sudo
[ + ] udev
[ + ] upmpdcli
[ - ] x11-common

migo77

@migo77

And on my ZenStream :
now I have G3 too:
root@RPi2-renderer(ro):/home/migo# cat /proc/asound/timers
G0: system timer : 10000.000us (10000000 ticks)
root@RPi2-renderer(ro):/home/migo#

Zaurux

now I have G3 too:
root@RPi2-renderer(ro):/home/migo# cat /proc/asound/timers
G0: system timer : 10000.000us (10000000 ticks)
root@RPi2-renderer(ro):/home/migo#
This change something (SQ) ? ;)

I read about the supposed network problems related to the lack of memory on the R26 streamer.
After thinking about it, I'm starting to slide towards an A26 solution for DSD use via HQPlayer.
The problem is, in my opinion, also related to the choice of a streamer with a 100mb input. This may be sufficient if it is well managed.
With a modern debian, it should be possible to use ethtool (and also zRAM).
On my ZenStream with all unnecessary services removed and in NAA mode : 51m used.
25mMbit on ethernet ipv6 (DSD256).. x2 for DSD512.

23012907583215136318104858.png

Last edited:

migo77

This change something (SQ) ? ;)

I read about the supposed network problems related to the lack of memory on the R26 streamer.
After thinking about it, I'm starting to slide towards an A26 solution for DSD use via HQPlayer.
The problem is, in my opinion, also related to the choice of a streamer with a 100mb input. This may be sufficient if it is well managed.
With a modern debian, it should be possible to use ethtool (and also zRAM).
On my ZenStream with all unnecessary services removed and in NAA mode : 51m used.
25mMbit on ethernet ipv6 (DSD256).. x2 for DSD512.

23012907583215136318104858.png
I've not tested it so far, but I think that not much will change in SQ. Is A26 equipped with more RAM? I'm at 62M used RAM with UPnP, NAA and Tidal Connect services running. Roon bridge memory consumption is R26 problem...
Screenshot from 2023-01-29 19-38-25.png

Zaurux

However, the Roon tests seem to be correct.

I can't find the link to the motherboard chosen by Gustard

migo77

However, the Roon tests seem to be correct.

I can't find the link to the motherboard chosen by Gustard
Yes tests are correct, but more services need more RAM. My experience with UPnP playback (stock firmware) was stuttering playback :( so I started digging into it... Swaping RAM on SD-card is not really good. :(

Radtraveller

I have purchased node 2i, smsl su-10 and gustard R26.
to my ears, the gustard NOS mode with my equipment sounds better than smsl, which sounds better than the 2i using a few dsd files via usb drive for testing.
The only redeeming aspect of the node is directly logging into tidal for masters.
I am frustrated that I cannot use either dac for directly logging into my tidal masters or qobuz accounts.
I refuse to get roped into roon and having to pay them for the rest of my life to play my own music.
might be different if roon was a hidef source and I could stop the tidal and qobuz subscriptions..

passing over stream via bluetooth or node 2i toslink isn’t satisfying either. (Bt 5.0 ldac)

Anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive streamer that will allow me to login to my subscriptions and just pass the stream to a dac over ethernet?

thanks.

migo77

to my ears, the gustard NOS mode with my equipment sounds better than smsl, which sounds better than the 2i using a few dsd files via usb drive for testing.
The only redeeming aspect of the node is directly logging into tidal for masters.
I am frustrated that I cannot use either dac for directly logging into my tidal masters or qobuz accounts.
I refuse to get roped into roon and having to pay them for the rest of my life to play my own music.
might be different if roon was a hidef source and I could stop the tidal and qobuz subscriptions..

passing over stream via bluetooth or node 2i toslink isn’t satisfying either. (Bt 5.0 ldac)

Anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive streamer that will allow me to login to my subscriptions and just pass the stream to a dac over ethernet?

thanks.
You can use any UPNP app that can login to Tidal to stream music to R26 or other UPnP endpoint. For example Mconnect or BubbleUPnP for Android.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor

thanks.

If you have the money to spend on a overpriced streamer and DAC I'm sure you could afford roon.
The dsp features you get there will improve Soundquality far more than you could ever Archive with different DACs.

A raspberry pi 4 and a 400-500$ DAC would have been just as good if you would utilize DSP features. (Roon does upsampling, equilizer, convolution filters etc).

If tidal and qobuz are both necessary (mqa is a scam and tidal hifi still uses some mqa files) you could have created a tidal subscription in Argentina for less than 1 USD a month.

Best solution (for me at least) is roon with a lifetime subscription and you purchase your favourite music.. qobuz sublime is worth. if you purchase lots of music you have that money back in no time :)

ilan5555

Can you share that new testing firmware please? Some users on R26 HeadFi thread posted modification needed to get i2s to work, one pin needs to be modified on cable, if I can recall me correctly.

ilan5555

thanks.
Wiim Pro - Excellent for the price!

Radtraveller

It isn’t I cannot afford roon..
it is getting locked into it. And not being able to use if there is no internet connection to check your license.
i get internet outages fairly frequently. Not going to go there.

looking at maybe setting up a daphile server (has tidal, qobuz and others) though I imagine there may be a little “learning curve”….
Has anyone else ever tried this? I do see many good reviews on it. Only thing “lost” is a little time..

The reason for both tidal and qobuz is to listen to each, compare availability of music I like. Eventually one of them will “go away”.. I know mqa is actually lossy, but so far convenient and masters do sound pretty good. Good enough for “auditioning” what I may want to purchase at least.

Features​

• Headless music server OS
  • Bitperfect and gapless playback
  • Extensive audio format support
  • Native DSD playback up to DSD512
  • PCM resolutions up to 384kHz/24bit
  • High quality audio resampling including PCM to DSD conversion
  • Convolution filtering for DRC and equalizer
  • "Play from RAM" to minimize CPU load and disk activity during playback
  • Automatic audio device configuration with multiplayer support
  • CD ripping with AccurateRip™ verification, automatic metadata tagging and cover art
  • Supports external file servers as music source
  • Easy configuration and installation through the web interface
  • WiFi hotspot support (if compatible hardware exists)
  • Software update via web interface
  • Network-attached storage (NAS) service
  • Whole system included in about 200MB ISO-file
Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, Squeezelite and Linux.

migo77

Thank you, this firmware includes unofficial Tidal connect from iFi leak, it works fine with all Tidal application, only Android version needs to be downgraded to July version to work.

Top Bottom