• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard R26 R2R DAC with roon

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
C2FF2118-3048-4636-810A-69FB29DCE1AD.jpeg

That's a nice combo.
(Just repost of the headfi post)

Sonus_Faberer

I bought the R26 but ended up returning it. I thought it sounded too bright and lively for my tastes. I found it so bright and lively that it made me not pay attention to how the midrange and bass sounded. It's possible that it was just not a good mix with my speakers, but I'll never know. I preferred the internal DAC in my integrated amp so I shipped it back to Amazon. I'm not sure if the bright sound would subside with adequate burn in time, but I wasn't willing to wait and see how that experiment ended. It was my first experience with an R2R DAC and I wasn't impressed in regards to the sound. It had great features and input/outputs so I'll give it that. If you are into a lot of detail then this may be for you. It was information overload for me along with the brightness. If you buy this DAC just make sure you buy it from a place with a generous return policy.

linger63

I bought the R26 but ended up returning it. I thought it sounded too bright and lively for my tastes. I found it so bright and lively that it made me not pay attention to how the midrange and bass sounded. It's possible that it was just not a good mix with my speakers, but I'll never know. I preferred the internal DAC in my integrated amp so I shipped it back to Amazon. I'm not sure if the bright sound would subside with adequate burn in time, but I wasn't willing to wait and see how that experiment ended. It was my first experience with an R2R DAC and I wasn't impressed in regards to the sound. It had great features and input/outputs so I'll give it that. If you are into a lot of detail then this may be for you. It was information overload for me along with the brightness. If you buy this DAC just make sure you buy it from a place with a generous return policy.

I tried a Denafrips ARES II R2R DAC and found it dull and foggy.
Who knows!!!!:)

Spurs27

That is not reflected in the frequency response, strange...

Curious about the distortion levels measured in the first few posts from audiolab. Are these audible?

Last edited:

migo77

Did you check or already know that the measurements indicate the distortion is within audible range?
I saw the measurements first. But I've not heard such a distortion with X26Pro and I'm happy with it. But human ears are not measurement device. :)

labeelen

I saw the measurements first. But I've not heard such a distortion with X26Pro and I'm happy with it. But human ears are not measurement device. :)
As a R26 owner it is my experience that, as with any quality audio device, you should judge it after a decent burn-in (& warm-up) time. Although to me it sounded already good out-of-the-box.
Next, don’t let measurements be the ultimate deciding factor but trust your ears and be aware that the sound passes some devices (either headphones and/or speakers) that measure far worse than any DAC or amplifier, before it reaches your ears ;-)

migo77

As a R26 owner it is my experience that, as with any quality audio device, you should judge it after a decent burn-in (& warm-up) time. Although to me it sounded already good out-of-the-box.
Next, don’t let measurements be the ultimate deciding factor but trust your ears and be aware that the sound passes some devices (either headphones and/or speakers) that measure far worse than any DAC or amplifier, before it reaches your ears ;-)
In short. I'm user of X26Pro for nearly 2y now. I wanted to hear that R2R magic so ordered R26, used it over 3w and it was like downgrade to my ears, tested on the same chain. Plus there were issues with integrated streamer/endpoint, for that money it is not a good deal and I've returned R26...

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
In short. I'm user of X26Pro for nearly 2y now. I wanted to hear that R2R magic so ordered R26, used it over 3w and it was like downgrade to my ears, tested on the same chain. Plus there were issues with integrated streamer/endpoint, for that money it is not a good deal and I've returned R26...
A26 is a better option over the R26.

labeelen

A26 is a better option over the R26.
Luckily we all have different tastes and preferences. In stead of using statements like ‘is better’ and ‘is not’ you might consider to add ‘for me’ as it is your personal experience or opinion in stead of a fact.

I looked for an answer on my own before asking here as to whether the distortion was audible and I found some information that explains distortion harmonic theory and some other information that explained different aspects of distortion and sources and theory on dynamic range and various other aspects of sound and system building etc but I didnt find the answer on what levels distortion begin to be audible with DACs. I have had the R26 for a few weeks and had plans to order the A26 pro and AB test them in my system and see which I preferred. At first my system wasnt ready for it to be plugged in, so for a few days, after getting it, I was using it with Bluetooth from my phone and it definitely sounded better than the DACs I had owned before, but I knew it was really not doing what it was designed to do. When I plugged it in via USB and stopped using the needed volume control, the NOS feature really changed the sound a considerable amount to my liking. My wife was taken back by the change and she isnt even a low end hobbiest like myself. She even commented that she had been very concerned I would keep the unit with it doing so little difference until she heard the NOS change (though she had no idea what the change was called) and she mentioned she was much more comfortable with keeping it after hearing NOS enabled. I love the sound but I dont like to simply settle on my own experience, because doing so anchors me to something that may prove to be a mistake later on. If anyone can answer if the distortion would be audible or not I would appreciate such. I am running it on a tube amplifier right now but I do want to build another solid state system for detail and would like to know that when the other system changes happen I wont be upset that detail will be lost in noise. I like the idea of having a solid state system for very detailed listening and tube amplification for more casual "fun" listening. Would be great to see a post explaining the measurements Amir does and how the measurements relate to sound quality. If such a post exist or a sort of "for dummies" intro to the measurements is around it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sdrichard

...If anyone can answer if the distortion would be audible or not I would appreciate such. ...
Everyone's ears have different sensitivity, and everyone has different preferences when it comes to sound. So it would be difficult to make a blanket statement like that, even if the distortion is within the 'audible' range.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I looked for an answer on my own before asking here as to whether the distortion was audible and I found some information that explains distortion harmonic theory and some other information that explained different aspects of distortion and sources and theory on dynamic range and various other aspects of sound and system building etc but I didnt find the answer on what levels distortion begin to be audible with DACs. ...
You may find this interesting and helpful: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/#post-127757

d3l

I looked for an answer on my own before asking here as to whether the distortion was audible and I found some information that explains distortion harmonic theory and some other information that explained different aspects of distortion and sources and theory on dynamic range and various other aspects of sound and system building etc but I didnt find the answer on what levels distortion begin to be audible with DACs. I have had the R26 for a few weeks and had plans to order the A26 pro and AB test them in my system and see which I preferred. At first my system wasnt ready for it to be plugged in, so for a few days, after getting it, I was using it with Bluetooth from my phone and it definitely sounded better than the DACs I had owned before, but I knew it was really not doing what it was designed to do. When I plugged it in via USB and stopped using the needed volume control, the NOS feature really changed the sound a considerable amount to my liking. My wife was taken back by the change and she isnt even a low end hobbiest like myself. She even commented that she had been very concerned I would keep the unit with it doing so little difference until she heard the NOS change (though she had no idea what the change was called) and she mentioned she was much more comfortable with keeping it after hearing NOS enabled. I love the sound but I dont like to simply settle on my own experience, because doing so anchors me to something that may prove to be a mistake later on. If anyone can answer if the distortion would be audible or not I would appreciate such. I am running it on a tube amplifier right now but I do want to build another solid state system for detail and would like to know that when the other system changes happen I wont be upset that detail will be lost in noise. I like the idea of having a solid state system for very detailed listening and tube amplification for more casual "fun" listening. Would be great to see a post explaining the measurements Amir does and how the measurements relate to sound quality. If such a post exist or a sort of "for dummies" intro to the measurements is around it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
If it sounds good to you, then it sounds good. If there would be audible distortion, you would hear it, hence audible.
There is nothing else to compare to and no mistakes to be made. Take it easy and enjoy the music!

Greenman

I find this a bit weird as it doesn’t match my experience at all, if anything I find it a bit the other way (certainly initially) a quite smooth sound, detailed but certainly not over lively/bright. However I am comparing to a Naim Cd player (CDS3) and they are known as being lively so I guess our expectations and system balance is generally somewhat different. I also compared to the SMSL su1 and found the SMSL more forward (too bright in fact). Just shows what works for one person may not for others.

nawfal07

1690266389582.png

Sorry, I'm half way reading this thread and my old satellite box keep coming to my mind. Not that close but I just find it amusing.

I'm really curious about the R26 though, I'll continue my reading and everyone please carry on.

Greenman

View attachment 301321

Sorry, I'm half way reading this thread and my old satellite box keep coming to my mind. Not that close but I just find it amusing.

I'm really curious about the R26 though, I'll continue my reading and everyone please carry on.
If you think that’s bad you should compare the new A26 to the old sky boxes!

However despite trying to masquerade as a satellite box it is nicely made (cheap remote though if that’s important to you), i.e thick aluminium plate rather than typical plastic and pressed tin of a satellite box. Also it is very nicely put together internally with good quality parts and plenty of thought put into layout, shielding, power supplies etc etc.

Mainly though it just sounds great!

Reactions: d3l

bplatypus

read a lot about a26 & r26 the last days and generally speaking a26 seems to be slightly better with instrument separation & details whereas r26 is better in 3d soundstage (more width, depth & height).

Does anyone run a subwoofer in a setup which include a r26 or a26? How is it connected?

edit: interested to add a r26 in my setup... r26 -> Elekit 8900. Currently I use x6700 -> Hypex &Or Elekit 8900... which allow me to have 1 or 2 subs.

Top Bottom