• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research X-LS Encore Kit Speaker Review

Edgar

Forum Donor
I have the voodoo version of the crossover which Rick was kind enough to build. I just haven't had time to spend on it to see what it does. It is on my TODO list though. :)
Did you get the tube connectors which bring this to another level? Make sure you get them and test them. ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you get the tube connectors which bring this to another level? Make sure you get them and test them. ;)
Tube connectors were out of stock at the time and outrageously priced. So we passed on that.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Was this speaker ever measured without, then with a 25mm/1inch roundover?

Just looking at dannys measurements vs Amirs that looks to me like the difference

Edgar

Forum Donor
Quite the salesman Danny is.
I think not anymore.
There was a time when I thought about buying his speakers.
Then I saw the infamous "we test speaker cables with a receiver" video. And I thought: Ok, one stupid video is allowed.
And then he had his series with just crazy videos. Since then I don't watch his videos anymore and will certainly never buy anything from him.

Califmike33

I also used to watch his videos and almost bought a upgrade kit. I wont watch his videos or ever buy from him, i mean come on he thinks he in the same league as Andrew Jones, ha ha ha.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
yeah, he seems to be getting ever weirder.
It is interesting to note that his recent gambits have been attracting scorn from both Tribe Objectivist High Fidelity and Tribe Subjectivist Audiophile! ;)

Penelinfi

That woofer reminds me of the woofer in some JPW speakers I was borrowing. Basically identical driver design but with a regular shape dustcap. Probably sounded very similar too including the bass bump.
Though these were a three way and sounded off with the driver integration. Maybe it was the sand cast resistors and cheesy inductors ;-)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
15-20 years ago, I had a pair of these. I actually won them in a contest. My memory of them is that they sounded very good and had deep bass response for their size. At first, their high end sounded rolled off. However, I learned that speakers from the batch I received had defective tweeters. The manufacturer, AV123, sent me replacement tweeters that sounded great.

I did like the X-LS speakers a lot but I had too many speakers at the time. I think I wound up giving them to my brother. Because the speakers themselves were relatively large and heavy for two-ways (I’d call them “stand mounts” rather than “desktop” or “bookshelf” speakers), I recall the postage to send them was really high!

So anyway, I’d call these a success.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So anyway, I’d call these a success.
I have to take this comment back. 15-20 years ago, they might have been a success when they were selling for $199/pair.

Today, GR Research sells the X-LS Encore for a whopping $1,160 to $1,493/pair.

Yes, there has been inflation and production was moved from China to Texas, but a $1000 price increase?

WTF?

They may have been good—even great—at $199, but for $1,000+ I would not consider them. I’d buy a pair of LS50’s instead. Heck, I DID buy a pair of LS50’s.

01svtL

I doubt he will sell many of the completed pairs at that price. I think his bread and butter is probably the DIY kits, or possibly people sending in their speakers for "upgrades."

chorus

I have a pair of Encores with XO upgrades that sound better than most of the other 16 models of standmounts included in our August 27th SpeakerFest 2022 Event here
in the Phoenix area. I believe it was John Curl who is credited with the statement " Measurements are meant to confirm what our ears tell us". I tend to agree.

Attachments

• SpeakerFest Flyer - p2-3.jpg
    SpeakerFest Flyer - p2-3.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 100
  • SpeakerFest Flyer - p1-3.jpg
    SpeakerFest Flyer - p1-3.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 171

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Encores with XO upgrades that sound better than most of the other 16 models of standmounts included in our August 27th SpeakerFest 2022 Event here
in the Phoenix area. I believe it was John Curl who is credited with the statement " Measurements are meant to confirm what our ears tell us". I tend to agree.

Was there a double blind test of the speakers?

Top Bottom