• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 374 95.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Clearly this testing was flawed by the use of a Chifi DAC instead of a piece of worthy and resolving equipment like a TotalDAC! A Topping DAC cannot take advantage of the benefits offered by this most excellent conduit for electrons!

57gold

For the third time, why would one test a heavy gauge power cable's performance or lack there of with a DAC as opposed to a high current amp???

Use a LPS to power my DAC, and it sounds great with a DC cable - Canare 4S6 Star Quad, 4 conductors x 20AWG/cond

balletboy

Show me a cable with thick copper wires, quality plugs with 10A or 15A, no need for gold plating but whatever, and i will offer you 50 euro for 1m cable.

You may use such stuff for customized gaming PC, or UPS, or some other appliances in case they are very power hungry, or suffer from transient spikes on powering on.

In case you are replacing generic power cord, and it was the weakest link, you may resolve few rare issues with you electronic device, but it wont be a miracle, rather a damaged cable.

It wont change anything on audio output though.
I think €50 is a bit too high.

The index shows ASR has not recommended any cable for 4 years and nothing more than $20. So it is all rather predicable. Maybe ASR should come clean and state that cables do not make a difference, never will, and just recommend using the cable in the box with the product or something from Amazon Basics.

Even the certification issue is irrelevant because it is different in different countries. Here in the UK some suppliers sell DIY mains cable kits, very popular apparently, I've used them occasionally.
I test my connection skills by testing the cable with a cheap appliance before using it with my hifi. The worst you can do is trip the consumer unit.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had two Tripp Lite 14 gauge extension cords I was not using so just for fun, I cut off the stock molded connectors, bought the cheapest Marinco “hospital grade” plugs and Marinco IEC connectors and am planning to make two 2m power cables from them. I also bought some shrink tubing for strain relief but I don’t think that will be absolutely necessary. What am I expecting from this experiment? Two functional power cords. I’ll test continuity when I’m done assembling for safety.

Ferrograph

My goodness. You are all missing the point. High power device or low power device, it wont make any difference. The fact some are suggesting there might be a difference with a higher power consumption unit shows no understand of the science involved or how power supplys and basic audio works at all, and presumably a believe in magic.

DanielT

Major Contributor
My goodness. You are all missing the point. High power device or low power device, it wont make any difference. The fact some are suggesting there might be a difference with a higher power consumption unit shows no understand of the science involved or how power supplys and basic audio works at all, and presumably a believe in magic.
But we joke and are ironic about expensive power cords. This with irony and writing on forums is not the easiest thing. It may seem that this is not the case, irony that is. Best to use smileys.:D

However, attached link below is not ironic.I also attached some pictures, from that thread, there the sound in different power cord's is described:
It was real golden ears that those who listen and compare have (an ironic observation on my part. :) )

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-14_173355.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-14_173355.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_2022-07-14_173256.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-14_173256.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 88

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had two Tripp Lite 14 gauge extension cords I was not using so just for fun, I cut off the stock molded connectors, bought the cheapest Marinco “hospital grade” plugs and Marinco IEC connectors and am planning to make two 2m power cables from them. I also bought some shrink tubing for strain relief but I don’t think that will be absolutely necessary. What am I expecting from this experiment? Two functional power cords. I’ll test continuity when I’m done assembling for safety.
Be cautious:

The hospital grade plugs are thicker material to reach a minimum pull out force of 12 pounds, if I recall correctly. The hospital grade plugs may damage your existing domestic receptacles.

You could also upgrade the existing receptacle.

Ferrograph

But we joke and are ironic about expensive power cords. This with irony and writing on forums is not the easiest thing. It may seem that this is not the case, irony that is. Best to use smileys.:D

However, attached link below is not ironic.I also attached some pictures, from that thread, there the sound in different power cord's is described:
It was real golden ears that those who listen and compare have (an ironic observation on my part. :) )

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying but the mentioned posts include no measurements as proof, so are meaningless.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying but the mentioned posts include no measurements as proof, so are meaningless.
Admittedly, that might have confused the whole thing. It was mostly to show that there are those who think they hear differences. Note I think the ones I linked to are just imagining.

Ferrograph

Admittedly, that might have confused the whole thing. It was mostly to show that there are those who think they hear differences. Note I think the ones I linked to are just imagining.
Yes I agree, hence my assumption that they believe in magic which could also be interpreted as - the science involved in understanding why these cables make no difference is beyond their current understanding. :)

I used a smiley

Katji

Major Contributor
Cable pants. One of my favorite innovations of recent decades.
I had them on bike wiring harnesses 50 years ago but I had no idea they were pants.

Show me a cable with thick copper wires, quality plugs with 10A or 15A, no need for gold plating but whatever, and i will offer you 50 euro for 1m cable.
Yes. But not with lurid purple translucent plugs.

57gold

For the third time: because the maker specifies it for source and not for power amps. Read the review.
Oops. See that, skipped through to the test results - this model is 14 gauge per phase, the other the company offers is 10 gauge for power amps...apologies.

Still like the idea of testing the claims of Shunyata that accompany its $9K power cable on an amp. Nope, I don't have one but dealers tend to have loaners or the Cable Co used to have a loaner program.

There is a guy over on The Gear Page (guitar geek community) who has that $9K cable feeding a $9K Shunyata power conditioner that has all kinds of scientific/engineering claims regarding its efficacy...not sure I'd spend $18K for a spot to plug in my DAC and amp...actually. I'm pretty sure I'd use those dollars for a custom built archtop jazz guitar, instead.

Offler

I think €50 is a bit too high.

The index shows ASR has not recommended any cable for 4 years and nothing more than $20. So it is all rather predicable. Maybe ASR should come clean and state that cables do not make a difference, never will, and just recommend using the cable in the box with the product or something from Amazon Basics.

Even the certification issue is irrelevant because it is different in different countries. Here in the UK some suppliers sell DIY mains cable kits, very popular apparently, I've used them occasionally.
I test my connection skills by testing the cable with a cheap appliance before using it with my hifi. The worst you can do is trip the consumer unit.
I would say its because most cables tested here claim that they do this or that to the sound quality, and when put to test its simply not true.

My experience is that a bad cable can be detrimental to sound, and when replaced it may solve the issue, but replacing bad, damaged equipment with new one - not exactly premium, just quality product - would solve that as well.

EarlessOldMan

Crazy how these companies survive without safety certifications :\
I'm a lawyer, and I used to do a lot of defense of manufacturers in product liability claims.

Certification isn't required for some sales (depends on how and where the company is selling). And certification won't shield a company from liability.

With that said, we used to give clients the following advice:

1. If you sell enough stuff, and if it can presents any potential hazard, you'll eventually be sued. It doesn't even have to be for your product. We defended a bunch of fire cases where the fire started somewhere else. But our client's product was nearby, so that would be a target. (Often, the fires started in damaged extension cords. But it's often impossible to identify the manufacturer or seller of the cord, so plaintiffs' lawyers will sue someone with an identifiable product that's plugged into the extension cord.)

2. If you're sued, you need to be able to show that you (a) identified potential risks and (b) tried to design out any such risks. If you can't eliminate the risk by using an alternate design, then you guard against the risk. Finally, you warn about the risk, using appropriate warnings (where needed, when needed, etc.). We used to say that companies needed to create a "safety story." You don't want to create your safety story after the fact. Do it beforehand, and document it thoroughly.

In regard to these cables, I'm a bit concerned by the overlength ground pin. It seems possible that a user could insert the plug partway, resulting in a high-resistance connection at one of the other pins. And that could cause overheating and a subsequent fire.

If you look at outlets in enough houses, you'll see some that are a bit scorched, generally as a result of a high-resistance connection caused by partial insertion of a plug. (Sometimes the scorching is caused by a high-resistance connection in the male end of the cord.) And that's why, if your outlet starts feeling a bit sloppy, you should replace it.

(That sounds a bit . . . well . . .)

DonR

Major Contributor
In regard to these cables, I'm a bit concerned by the overlength ground pin. It seems possible that a user could insert the plug partway, resulting in a high-resistance connection at one of the other pins. And that could cause overheating and a subsequent fire.

If you look at outlets in enough houses, you'll see some that are a bit scorched, generally as a result of a high-resistance connection caused by partial insertion of a plug. (Sometimes the scorching is caused by a high-resistance connection in the male end of the cord.) And that's why, if your outlet starts feeling a bit sloppy, you should replace it.

(That sounds a bit . . . well . . .)
A plug not fully seated in the socket will also expose potentially lethal voltage on the partially exposed live pin. Not great.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Yep, that's it. In addition, peer pressure, to fit in. If others say something, we adapt.
I may misunderstand the point you're trying to make, but from what I'm reading from Wiki this is not what the study showed. And if it were true, it would apply to this web site every bit as much as a "subjectivist" web site.

Asch's 1956 report emphasized the predominance of independence over yielding saying "the facts that were being judged were, under the circumstances, the most decisive." However, a 1990 survey of US social psychology textbooks found that most ignored independence, instead reported a misleading summary of the results as reflecting complete power of the situation to produce conformity of behavior and belief.

A 2015 survey found no change, with just 1 of 20 major texts reporting that most participant-responses defied majority opinion. No text mentioned that 95% of subjects defied the majority at least once. Nineteen of the 20 books made no mention of Asch's interview data in which many participants said they were certain all along that the actors were wrong. This portrayal of the Asch studies was suggested to fit with social psychology narratives of situationism, obedience and conformity, to the neglect of recognition of disobedience of immoral commands (e.g., disobedience shown by participants in Milgram Studies), desire for fair treatment (e.g., resistance to tyranny shown by many participants in the Stanford prison studies) and self-determination.[28]

DonR

Major Contributor
Not a UK plug, as it has to be fully seated. Only the end of the live and neutral pins are exposed, the rest insulated.
This is not a UK plug but the UK version does appear to have the insulated pins.

Top Bottom