• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

Tovarich007

The ATC cabinets are not so gigantic. The classic big 3 ways Genelec monitors share the same proportions, and many others full range monitors too, to name some : Augspurger, Quested, PMC, Meyer Sound, the M2 JBL, the APS Trinity and others...

The ATC medium dome is obviously a very good driver, but it has become a sort of a "hyped icon" and can't justitfy so high prices. The Neumann medium dome, used in their 420 and discontinued 500, was created to match the Atc's performances, successfully, with prices much more realistic than ATC.

In fact, the only ATC objective flaw is their price, not competitive anymore, not quality per se.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The ATC cabinets are not so gigantic. The classic big 3 ways Genelec monitors share the same proportions, and many others full range monitors too, to name some : Augspurger, Quested, PMC, Meyer Sound, the M2 JBL, the APS Trinity and others...

The ATC medium dome is obviously a very good driver, but it has become a sort of a "hyped icon" and can't justitfy so high prices. The Neumann medium dome, used in their 420 and discontinued 500, was created to match the Atc's performances, successfully, with prices much more realistic than ATC.

In fact, the only ATC objective flaw is their price, not competitive anymore, not quality per se.
I meant Ones cabinet size (Which are also 3-way) vs ATC SCM50/100 etc
The ATCs might look more impressive to some as they're much bigger

Tovarich007

I'm not sure it makes sense to compare these speakers.

ATC SCM50/100/150 compare more directly to Genelec "classic range" 1032, 1237 and 1238. These models are always produced by Genelec and they're not overall outperformed by The Ones, They have simply a more conventionnal design with its qualities and limitations. Having listened to the 1032 (only a large 2 way), I can assess this model sounds pretty good and can play loud, and the larger 1237 and 1238 (or older 1037 and 1038) are always taken in high esteem by numbers of sound professionals.

The advantages of this classic range is to be easily soffit mounted and a little more "slam" in the bass -like ATCs or PMCs.
A contrario, the advantages of The Ones are their more compact and modern design and their coax driver, ensuring a superior imaging at short or middle distance.

There are wo different approaches, both very well engineered by a very serious and competent company.
At Genelec, the very large and ultra high end new Genelec 8381 A sums up the qualities of both ranges and it includes a "cardioïd" subwoofer, but at a ultra high price !

If I had to choose, I would prefer The Ones in my room and for my tastes (I put priority on acoustic genres, not on bass or SPL).

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They're using an MBL DAC and MBL preamp with the 8361+W371
Does it make any sense ?
Screenshot_20231023_081643_Gallery.jpg

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
looking at the 6010d and the 1611f these are complelelty ridiculous pieces of equipment that are at odds with the design and intended use of the Genelecs

the Genelecs are 'tools' right? with dacs inside?

then why are you using MBL which is up there with the Gryphons of the world? nice equipment but they aint 'work tools'... but they surely seem like equipment for 'tools' if you know what i mean...

you guys should google the price of the 6010 and see the styling... its amazing and not kind of what I think of when I think of "Germanic".

YSC

Major Contributor
looking at the 6010d and the 1611f these are complelelty ridiculous pieces of equipment that are at odds with the design and intended use of the Genelecs

the Genelecs are 'tools' right? with dacs inside?

then why are you using MBL which is up there with the Gryphons of the world? nice equipment but they aint 'work tools'... but they surely seem like equipment for 'tools' if you know what i mean...

you guys should google the price of the 6010 and see the styling... its amazing and not kind of what I think of when I think of "Germanic".
I would say it’s a smart (business) move
Since without bias the Genelecs will be one of the best sound reproduction systems there is out there, if you tell the mega bucks audiophiles that there’s a tiny, chip dac and amp built inside and all you need is a digital source, they likely will be psychologically affected and thinks that the Genelecs are crap. Once you put the high end dac and preamp as what in their mind crucial for a proper hifi system, boom you suddenly sold a few sets, together with the pointless dac

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Gens obviously need Ansuz cables ( look up the price) and a ‘ BOP Quantum Ground’ retailers know what they are doing right?
Keith

kevinh

Why degrade the sound of the Genelec's by using overpriced amps when you could use the better digital amps in the Genelec's not to mention not using the GLM system.
Fools and their money.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A version of the Ones with built-in cardioid bass capability(rather than only available via the W371A) would be better. But that would require a significant redesign and re-tooling of their manufacturing so it probably won't happen for a very long time, if ever.

The more realistic hope is that they do a smaller version of the W371A that is at least somewhat cheaper.
The problem with this is that the w371 is sized appropriately for the Ones. Anything smaller would not be useful.

Maybe 8331. But really who wants to haul a woofer system with their portable monitoring setup?

For me an 8371 would be more interesting.

Then again any Ones with w371 is an 8371. Technically.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The problem with this is that the w371 is sized appropriately for the Ones. Anything smaller would not be useful.

Maybe 8331. But really who wants to haul a woofer system with their portable monitoring setup?

For me an 8371 would be more interesting.

Then again any Ones with w371 is an 8371. Technically.
The 8381 is the 8371;)

Dgob

Does anyone use a pair of 8361s with a sub for music (not movies)? Any experiences on whether a sub would be useful in this context?
Yes, I use a pair of 7360A subs for stereo two channel listening with my 8361A's. I now have an in-room response down to 14Hz and cannot state too strongly just how good my music sounds. The absolute best.

sleepy.sock

Yes, I use a pair of 7360A subs for stereo two channel listening with my 8361A's. I now have an in-room response down to 14Hz and cannot state too strongly just how good my music sounds. The absolute best.
excellent – and are the 7360As big enough to work well with the 8361As? Genelec used to have some sub pairings on their website, but don't seem to list them any more.

Dgob

excellent – and are the 7360As big enough to work well with the 8361As? Genelec used to have some sub pairings on their website, but don't seem to list them any more.
Yes, the folks at Genelec will suggest the best pairing of their subs and monitors. However, this is strictly based on the relative SPL of both parts. That means that, unless you have a huge listening space, the real criteria in deciding whether to match your 8361A's with (say) a 7360A, 7370A or 7380A will be the size of your listening room and the maximum volume at which you want to play. I could not play either to anywhere near their maximum.:) And survive...

GameAudioPen

So two questions really quick, since this is a powered speaker, what exactly is the self noise level?

I don't expect completely quietness, but is it audible when you are, say, more than 2 feet away from it?

Second, trying to decide between this and a R11 Meta + amp combo, plan to get a new set up going in a 15'Wx16L'x17H' room but can't really decide whether I want to go active or passive.

Dgob

So two questions really quick, since this is a powered speaker, what exactly is the self noise level?

I don't expect completely quietness, but is it audible when you are, say, more than 2 feet away from it?

Second, trying to decide between this and a R11 Meta + amp combo, plan to get a new set up going in a 15'Wx16L'x17H' room but can't really decide whether I want to go active or passive.
I tried other professional monitors where the noise was conspicuous. I cannot hear any hiss or self noise on the Genelecs. Proper engineering.

As for the second part, Amir and many other professional hifi assessors strongly favour active. Having moved from Revel passive monitors driven by a stereo pair of Benchmark AHB2 amps to the active Genelecs, I fully agree.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I don't know why some people say Ones and coaxials in general have a small soundstage , when I heard the 8361 they had a decent + soundstage

Dgob

I don't know why some people say Ones and coaxials in general have a small soundstage , when I heard the 8361 they had a decent + soundstage
Your timing is perfect. I have been having a prolonged conversation with Amir, in which I complained about the small imaging of my Gen's compared to certain full range floor standers.

To cut a long story short, it turned out that the problem was with me. I had used the GLM inappropriately and, secondly, the room acoustics. Having followed the set up instructions of Marcel at Genelec AND installed GIK acoustic panels - the stage and imaging is as big and full as the live event. I really feel like the musicians are actually performing right before me. Small? NO!!!

mkt

Your timing is perfect. I have been having a prolonged conversation with Amir, in which I complained about the small imaging of my Gen's compared to certain full range floor standers.

To cut a long story short, it turned out that the problem was with me. I had used the GLM inappropriately and, secondly, the room acoustics. Having followed the set up instructions of Marcel at Genelec AND installed GIK acoustic panels - the stage and imaging is as big and full as the live event. I really feel like the musicians are actually performing right before me. Small? NO!!!
What was the GLM inappropriateness?

Top Bottom