• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything goes when one goes all subjective.... as can be attested by a some of he latest posts...

Peace.
It might be my imagination, but unsupported subjective anecdotes seem to be getting more common on ASR and more people seem to be responding to them as if they should be taken seriously. It's very strange.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before I try to contact Genelec support, I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this small question - I've searched online, the GLM manual, and the speaker's manual and haven't found an answer.

I have the speakers' front indicator LEDs disabled (through GLM) because I find them distracting.

My current digital source is USB based, which always keeps the sync signal (or whatever it is) live - but when I had a different digital chain using optical, the signal would cut out when no music was playing, and when it restarted again when I resumed playing music, the speakers' LEDs would flash red for a fraction of a second when that happened.

This is normal behavior - but I mention it because this has led me to assume that if the speakers' volume-based compression were kicking in (amber light) of they were flat-out clipping (red light), the LEDs would activate/flash even though I have set them to be disabled, just as the LEDs momentarily flash red when re-acquiring a digital signal.

Does anyone know if this is in fact the case? I don't listen super-loud, but once in a while I push them a bit just for fun, and I've never seen any flashing LEDs - but it's gotten me wanting to make 100% sure that I'm not unknowingly pushing them into compression or clipping.

Thanks!

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Before I try to contact Genelec support, I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this small question - I've searched online, the GLM manual, and the speaker's manual and haven't found an answer.

I have the speakers' front indicator LEDs disabled (through GLM) because I find them distracting.

My current digital source is USB based, which always keeps the sync signal (or whatever it is) live - but when I had a different digital chain using optical, the signal would cut out when no music was playing, and when it restarted again when I resumed playing music, the speakers' LEDs would flash red for a fraction of a second when that happened.

This is normal behavior - but I mention it because this has led me to assume that if the speakers' volume-based compression were kicking in (amber light) of they were flat-out clipping (red light), the LEDs would activate/flash even though I have set them to be disabled, just as the LEDs momentarily flash red when re-acquiring a digital signal.

Does anyone know if this is in fact the case? I don't listen super-loud, but once in a while I push them a bit just for fun, and I've never seen any flashing LEDs - but it's gotten me wanting to make 100% sure that I'm not unknowingly pushing them into compression or clipping.

Thanks!
Crank ‘em up and find out! j/k
Not sure but it makes sense that if reacquiring the clock causes a short flash, the protection circuit would also still flash the led’s. @Ilkka Rissanen is that correct?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure but it makes sense that if reacquiring the clock causes a short flash, the protection circuit would also still flash the led’s. @Ilkka Rissanen is that correct?

Thanks! Yes that is my working assumption. Just thought it would be wise for the long term to confirm (or find out if I’m mistaken). I’ve submitted the question to Genelec support.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Thanks! Yes that is my working assumption. Just thought it would wise in the long term to confirm (or find out if I’m mistaken). I’ve submitted the question to Genelec support.
I think the software mutes the speakers to avoid pops when switching signals. Happens with me too when I change sampling rates.

YSC

Major Contributor

Thanks!
I guess it will be normal behaviour to delay and prevent suddent pop to be irritating or damaging to the speaker? as long as it don't drop signal during playback or have weird pop I personally wont worry about it.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess it will be normal behaviour to delay and prevent suddent pop to be irritating or damaging to the speaker? as long as it don't drop signal during playback or have weird pop I personally wont worry about it.

Thanks to you and @EchoChamber for your replies! Just to be clear, I'm not concerned about the flashing red LED when the speakers re-acquire a digital signal. I only mentioned that phenomenon to say that it seems with the LED set to Disable, the speakers will still flash a red LED when they "need" to notify the user of something.

So by that logic, I would also assumed that if they were clipping, the red LED would light up even though I have the LED set to Disable.

YSC

Major Contributor
Thanks to you and @EchoChamber for your replies! Just to be clear, I'm not concerned about the flashing red LED when the speakers re-acquire a digital signal. I only mentioned that phenomenon to say that it seems with the LED set to Disable, the speakers will still flash a red LED when they "need" to notify the user of something.

So by that logic, I would also assumed that if they were clipping, the red LED would light up even though I have the LED set to Disable.
I believe so, and that actually makes sense, if the LED was full time on it will cause distraction, or for home use can illuminate the room even when you want to go to bed, so it's either all time on for reminder of power availability, or just flash when something is wrong and need your attention, I am purely guess though, I would suggest you to file a support with Genelec, from my own experience, they are very kind to provide some very in depth and technical feedback in general, it feels like chatting with some good old friends

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe so, and that actually makes sense, if the LED was full time on it will cause distraction, or for home use can illuminate the room even when you want to go to bed, so it's either all time on for reminder of power availability, or just flash when something is wrong and need your attention, I am purely guess though, I would suggest you to file a support with Genelec, from my own experience, they are very kind to provide some very in depth and technical feedback in general, it feels like chatting with some good old friends

Thanks! Yes, I agree 100% with your reasoning - that's the most likely scenario for how it works. But as you say, we can't be sure. I have filed a support ticket with Genelec asking this question, and I'm sure they'll get back to me soon. I'll circle back here when I hear from them.

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes, that is correct. All the error and warning events are still shown even though using the LED disable option.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that is correct. All the error and warning events are still shown even though using the LED disable option.

Many thanks!

And @RobL , I have indeed cranked them up briefly, as loud as I can take it, and not a peep from the LEDs - made me quite happy but also why I wanted to check just to make sure.

So for what it's worth, I'm sitting at 3M listening distance and I can't make these speakers break a sweat - nice!

Arnas

Got these good few hours ago...
Today and probably tommorow im gonna try things out whitout GLM and later will try GLM.
Im listening at stock eq settings with -6db factory gain, low gain on topping dx9.

4 Things that shocked me thus far.
1. Size! They are much bigger than Photos suggest! 1.5 times bigger than Edifier S3000pro. 160cm desk is bare minimum for these if you listen these desk, but bigger is better and stands might be even better.
2. Power reservers are absolutely insane! These will fill all, but most massive rooms like the Huge ones in America.
3. Bass is even deeper and a much cleaner than S3000pro and those kicked like mule and had pretty decent clarity down low!
4. Imaging and clarity is absolutely astonishing! Movies Sound amazing on those not only music!

Will report later this week how it sounds on GLM.

Attachments

• Audio.jpg
    Audio.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 136

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today and probably tommorow im gonna try things out whitout GLM and later will try GLM.
Im listening at stock eq settings with -6db factory gain, low gain on topping dx9.

1. Size! They are much bigger than Photos suggest! 1.5 times bigger than Edifier S3000pro. 160cm desk is bare minimum for these if you listen these desk, but bigger is better and stands might be even better.
2. Power reservers are absolutely insane! These will fill all, but most massive rooms like the Huge ones in America.
3. Bass is even deeper and a much cleaner than S3000pro and those kicked like mule and had pretty decent clarity down low!
4. Imaging and clarity is absolutely astonishing! Movies Sound amazing on those not only music!

Nice! Are those 31's or 41's?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

GLM EQ will give you more clarity. In my room without EQ, bass was too pronounced.

But yeah, best speakers I ever had in my decades long journey. I don’t even think about speakers anymore… I’d recommend feeding them a digital signal not to add extra D/A and A/D stages when using a DAC.

I use the RME Digiface AES, recently added, to convert USB from computer to AES. Expensive, but subjectively giving me a cleaner presentation when compared to my previous USB to AES box.

Arnas

GLM EQ will give you more clarity. In my room without EQ, bass was too pronounced.

But yeah, best speakers I ever had in my decades long journey. I don’t even think about speakers anymore… I’d recommend feeding them a digital signal not to add extra D/A and A/D stages when using a DAC.

I use the RME Digiface AES, recently added, to convert USB from computer to AES. Expensive, but subjectively giving me a cleaner presentation when compared to my previous USB to AES box.
Thank you for your recommendations, but i dont feel that im losing clarity with Topping dx9 + its wolume control is fantastic.
So far i love bass whitout GLM, but this could be honeymoon phase... Maybe i will see boominess later...
1 question are you listening with sub? Does it make a big difference?
I dont think i would need one for music, but for movies i think i would get benefits.

P.S 1 guy was right about these in a sense that nothing sounds bad on these. I have listened many headphones and speakers and all of them had achilles heel somewhere. On those i havent find anything to sound bad.

maxijazz

Thank you for your recommendations, but i dont feel that im losing clarity with Topping dx9 + its wolume control is fantastic.
So far i love bass whitout GLM, but this could be honeymoon phase... Maybe i will see boominess later...
I dont think i would need one for music, but for movies i think i would get benefits.

P.S 1 guy was right about these in a sense that nothing sounds bad on these. I have listened many headphones and speakers and all of them had achilles heel somewhere. On those i havent find anything to sound bad.
Common knowledge is that a sub taking over lowest beats from small speakers improves their clarity in middle range and overall performance (SPL).

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

No sub on my end. I do lust for a pair of W371A though… Not sure I really need it, but I have hopes it would fix any resonances in my room GLM can’t fix with EQ. And of course give me a full range system with plenty of headroom. Maybe next year…

Top Bottom