• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8050B Review (Studio Monitor)

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That one high frequency peak is interesting. Wonder what the cause of that is?
Looks like the second harmonic of ~12KHz is amplified by the resonance peak at ~24Khz

[ Ah, this was already explained earlier :facepalm: ]

Tangband

Major Contributor
Looking at the review , it seems that we are used to see the top notch measurements from the latest generation of Genelec monitors. We must remember this is an older design, with class A/B chip amp inside and analog active filter.
The newer generations of Genelecs is superior with new technology.

With that said, you are not gonna find many loudspeakers in size, If any, regardless of price, that measures better than this 8050b.
The measurements compared to passive loudspeakers in this size is very good indeed.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Compare the distortion measurements for these good and recommended three loudspeakers:
0D29B2B9-BF73-4D42-B4A3-40750442283E.png
DE50CB02-F00A-42CA-91DB-A7250DDF89A3.png
DB23E617-D17C-4EA6-A0C6-5E8DB4EE2E53.png

Last edited:

pierre

Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having read the review, I'm not sure if I can get excited about this speaker, I think it just costs way too much for what it is. I think for that price it should play deeper into the bass and with less bass distortion, and also it shouldn't have the treble spike of distortion.....and also the frequency response is not super smooth. If it didn't cost anywhere close to $1900 each I wouldn't have made these points.

tktran303

Forum Donor
Does the tweeter really extend down to 100 Hz and is only -7 dB compared to 3 kHz? Looks like an artefact of the measurement method to me. How is it measured?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-monitor-near-field-measurements-png.113634/

A mic in front of the driver of interest.

But all drivers are playing at once, so there’s “bleeding” of other drive units into the mic.

It’s a quick and dirty look, and does not represent the true acoustic response of the driver.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Looks like the 8350A either uses a better tweeter and/or DSP to lowpass the speaker (also shows the actual relative level of the benign port resonance; especially considering it's at the rear):
Genelec-8350A2.jpg

Distortion is also a quite nicer in the treble:
Genelec-8350A5.jpg

The bass is still bad, though. Shows the limits of skimping on the drivers to focus on the whole, I guess; and of using a (probably marketing driven) too low port tuning. At least, it gets 50W more for the woofer.
Compare the distortion measurements for these good and recommended three loudspeakers:View attachment 113699View attachment 113697View attachment 113698
What's strange is that the M106 has exactly the same amount and profile of 4th and 5th at 96 dB, but didn't get any such remark.

Last edited:

BDE

I heard the Genelec G Five and over all I liked it, but I agree the price is too high! Especially the G line which is even more expensive than the 80XX. So if you don`t care about the look I would prefer the Neumann KH 310 or the ones if it fits in your budget.
I hope that Neumann will bring a bigger 2 way speaker with DSP/ MA1 support in the future.

VBSurrey

Forum Donor
So, assuming this is not a defective unit, it needs a sub. This leads to the conclusion

8030C + sub is a better and cheaper option than 8050B + sub?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

hege

Forum Donor
Given that reference level is 83 dB SPL C weighted, I wonder what SPL folks are actually listening to...

Lol C-weighted.. for serious listening it's around 80-90dB A-weighted here. For good tactical/physical listening experience, C/Z-weighting shows easily ~10-20dB more for bass heavy material, so around 100dBZ (and 110dBZ peaks according to UMIK-1). I know you had large speakers, so are you saying 83dBC is good use of them? Perhaps concerts and clubs should be limited to 83dBC too. ;)

edit: And before anyone comments.. owning some sports car doesn't mean you have to drive 200mph all day (Darwin will likely intervene in that case).

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
...I hope that Neumann will bring a bigger 2 way speaker with DSP/ MA1 support in the future.
Neumann is the successor of Klein & Hummel and belongs to Sennheiser, which in turn is "restructuring". My "educated guess", don't expect new constructions any time soon. But, for their non-DSP monitors you can add DSP support with this combo:
https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_750_dsp.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_120_a.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_ma_1.htm
So, for a summary price of (in Germany) 2666 € you can have one hell of a 3-way system, with DSP (or, if you take the pricier 310A, 4-way). Can't say I'm not tempted...

tecnogadget

Always thrilled to see another great performer, and it comes as a no surprise since its a Genelec.
Before ASR I knew they were good, but never imagined they were THAT good.
Now everytime the word “Recording Studio” comes to my mind, Genelec is instantly associated to it.

Still, they are on the expensive side of the street, and all models seems to have a little downside, call it lack of power output, limiter, bass shy or high distortion. It looks like they have it 95% of the way all the time, the construction is amazing, the tonal balance always nails it, and directivity is among the best ones.

I could only imagine how with just a few changes they could hold one of the best speaker lines of all times, let’s say in a 5 years roadmap. Addressing port resonances, increasing power output (we are living in Purifi & Hypex times), reducing distortion on drivers and there won’t be a sigle thing to be picky about.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Nice view.

Did you try to listen to 0.5% distortion in midrange? I cannot detect it. also above 10khz, it is very hard to detect if yes or. I there is some distortion before crazy level.
We also have to remember that two loudspeakers are sounding about 6 dB louder than only one, with the same input level.
Amirm is only testing one loudspeaker when the distortion measurements is done.

So, If you look at the distortion levels at 86 dB, you will get the same low distortion at 92 dB sound level using two loudspeakers. In theory.

tktran303

Forum Donor
Lol C-weighted.. for serious listening it's around 80-90dB A-weighted here. For good tactical/physical listening experience, C/Z-weighting shows easily ~10-20dB more for bass heavy material, so around 100dBZ (and 110dBZ peaks according to UMIK-1). I know you had large speakers, so are you saying 83dBC is good use of them? Perhaps concerts and clubs should be limited to 83dBC too. ;)

edit: And before anyone comments.. owning some sports car doesn't mean you have to drive 200mph all day (Darwin will likely intervene in that case).

The 83dB C reference; well

It’s calibrated by playing a pink noise signal at -20dBFS, and then turning your amplifier up until you measure 83dB(C) at the listening position.

So your system can hit 103dB on dynamic peaks.
Suppose you sit at 3-4 or more meters away.

Well that’s actually quite loud.

I don’t recall that Amir calibrates. Just plonk and play in L/mono

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd really like to see an old 1032 being reviewed.

They can be quite cheap second hand, and they may also be loud.
I don’t expect the same level of perfection for this older design, though.
But still...

No way I'd send one of mines from Europe, though.

hege

Forum Donor
The 83dB C reference; well
It’s calibrated by playing a pink noise signal at -20dBFS, and then turning your amplifier up until you measure 83dB(C) at the listening position.

My bad, you are correct of course, so I probably listen a little louder than reference level. I haven't measured it here since it makes zero difference, I simply crank volume up until it feels good, while not requiring earplugs. The fact is that 8050B still isn't a very large speaker. For my preferences even the new 1032C was so-so. Of course all this assumes not using subs, which enables for more SPL down there.

Top Bottom