• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8050B Review (Studio Monitor)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Would the 8050b be a bad idea if one of them was placed next to a sidewall? I'm a bit tight for space on the right hand side. No chance of room treatment.
You could get the 8030C + a sub instead

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would the 8050b be a bad idea if one of them was placed next to a sidewall? I'm a bit tight for space on the right hand side. No chance of room treatment.
I’d recommend going for the 8350A if you can and calibrate with GLM. The auto room EQ works really well and will help tame early reflections.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I’d recommend going for the 8350A if you can and calibrate with GLM. The auto room EQ works really well and will help take early reflections.
Then the price is really close to the KH310 and then he gets a 3-way, it's a slippery slope;)

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Then the price is really close to the KH310 and then he gets a 3-way, it's a slippery slope;)
IME, GLM is essential for the full Genelec experience. When I went from 8030C to 8330A, the sonic difference was significant in terms of accuracy and letting less of the room get in the way (I was using REW and ROON to measure and plot an EQ curve with the 8030C). I would personally favor room correction over number of drivers for accuracy. Maybe the 8340A would be a better choice to stay closer to the original budget and opening the option for a sub add on later on when budget allows.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IME, GLM is essential for the full Genelec experience. When I went from 8030C to 8330A, the sonic difference was significant in terms of accuracy and letting less of the room get in the way (I was using REW and ROON to measure and plot an EQ curve with the 8030C). I would personally favor room correction over number of drivers for accuracy. Maybe the 8340A would be a better choice to stay closer to the original budget and opening the option for a sub add on later on when budget allows.
Once you see how GLM work, you can re-do it with REW.
REW is the DIY of Room correction, and studying how GLM works is like a speaker teardown.

Top Bottom