• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I'm considering buying a single one of these as a nightstand/headboard speaker.

Have I lost my mind?
Just remember to sum to mono somewhere along the way. The benefit of Bluetooth speakers is that even decent single-speaker models do this summing on their own.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just remember to sum to mono somewhere along the way. The benefit of Bluetooth speakers is that even decent single-speaker models do this summing on their own.

Planning on just making a custom 1/8 TRS to XLR with some summing resistors If I do get one.

I want something with analog input, strongly grilled so a tossed pillow corner doesn't take out a driver, and doesn't require an app so mini studio monitors are looking like a better bet than typical "bluetooth" speakers or cheap powered speakers.

DAB

Just wanted to show you my outdoor/balcony projekt using 8010's. Genelec does not reccomend outdoor use so i ripped the boards out and put them in a DIY box indoors. I DIY'd a ported subwoofer from sheets of fibre concrete using an SB 8" driver. Signal comes from spotify-chromecast-splitter-minidsp4x4. I choosed the 8010 due to good reviews, all ALU and plastic design, small size and good experience with my 8020's. The 8020s play nicely on their own in my 12'x12' kitchen but the 8010s definitely benefits from sub support except maybe in really tiny rooms. Spl is not a problem since i (sadly) can not play loud anyway.

Attachments

• PXL_20210719_060804214.jpg
    PXL_20210719_060804214.jpg
    761.7 KB · Views: 420
  • PXL_20210719_061144404.jpg
    PXL_20210719_061144404.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 430
  • PXL_20210719_061010560.jpg
    PXL_20210719_061010560.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 414
  • PXL_20210719_060848562.jpg
    PXL_20210719_060848562.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 423

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Just wanted to show you my outdoor/balcony projekt using 8010's. Genelec does not reccomend outdoor use so i ripped the boards out and put them in a DIY box indoors. I DIY'd a ported subwoofer from sheets of fibre concrete using an SB 8" driver. Signal comes from spotify-chromecast-splitter-minidsp4x4. I choosed the 8010 due to good reviews, all ALU and plastic design, small size and good experience with my 8020's. The 8020s play nicely on their own in my 12'x12' kitchen but the 8010s definitely benefits from sub support except maybe in really tiny rooms. Spl is not a problem since i (sadly) can not play loud anyway.
Wow! Gutsy. I'm very interested to see how the drivers withstand the elements (sun UV, rain, and snow if you have it there).

Reactions: CMB

Thorskin

I'm still considering the 8010 as a center speaker but I don't want to make the wrong decision.
I know people have suggested that it is not powerful enough for home theatre use but are they just talking about volume? Because my partner and I do not watch movies loudly.
I would love the center to match my front 8030s but I would really prefer not to change my TV cabinet.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I'm still considering the 8010 as a center speaker but I don't want to make the wrong decision.
I know people have suggested that it is not powerful enough for home theatre use but are they just talking about volume? Because my partner and I do not watch movies loudly.
Movies can have a high amount of dynamic range, which means that while the speaker may not be stressed out for 98% of the movie, they could clip for that 2%. The 8010A is only rated for 96 dB short-term max SPL at 1 meter and the further away from 3.3 feet you are from it, the lower that goes.

https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

Even the 8320As are only recommended for distances <= 1.75m. Not saying that the 8010As won't work for your purpose, but they are not designed for listening anywhere but near-field.

Thorskin

Movies can have a high amount of dynamic range, which means that while the speaker may not be stressed out for 98% of the movie, they could clip for that 2%. The 8010A is only rated for 96 dB short-term max SPL at 1 meter and the further away from 3.3 feet you are from it, the lower that goes.

https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

Even the 8320As are only recommended for distances <= 1.75m. Not saying that the 8010As won't work for your purpose, but they are not designed for listening anywhere but near-field.
I see, I understand now, we went for another 8030.
We won't be able to pull out the TV as much but at least I won't have the "what if" feeling.

DAB

Wow! Gutsy. I'm very interested to see how the drivers withstand the elements (sun UV, rain, and snow if you have it there).
We sure have snow but i plan to keep them indoors in the winter. How they will hold up otherwise, time will tell. You win some, Lose some..

Reactions: CMB

Zoide

Great review, thanks again! A note about using only small Genelecs in a desktop setup -> larger ones work as well :cool: In my opinion 8x3x series works the best also size wise. 8x4x begins to be too big for my taste at least. Here's my setup with 7350 sub on the floor.

These rather new Genelc desktop stands are the best imo begins one can adjust the tilt and they are VERY robust.

View attachment 88527

Nice STAX! I love my L700's :)

jSchultz

Just picked up a pair of these used for $500 USD and am putting them through the paces now. I'm using in a treated attic space that is still not without its problems (low ceilings, not very wide) so Sonarworks had some work to do. Once calibrated, they seem to perform pretty well at SPL of 65-75db. As soon as I start pushing past 80, it seems like I can start to hear them work too hard. But, given their size, that's totally OK and I try not to listen to these too loud anyways.

Imaging seems pretty good, but am still getting used to the high end versus Adams - the ribbon x-art tweeter is definitely a bit different than the Genelec dome tweeter; that is for sure. Not sure if most of you guys are using as home theater enthusiasts or for mixing, but I am using them as a supplemental set of mixing/producing monitors for music making. They seem to be pretty good for this in my super small space.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Mindforge

I got the 8010s originally by themselves as a nearfield desktop system in a fairly large office. Found they went very loud, so much so that I attenuated the gain on the dip switches on the back so that I could have more control from the volume pot on the Ifi Zen DAC/Can stack I have (connected by 4.4mm to XLR). Due to upgradeitis I could not resist the 7040 subwoofer and am glad I did, the integration is so tight and the bass really deep and tuneful which is amazing for such a slim subwoofer. Footprint is ideal under the desk. I went for the 8010s to save desk space and as I'm using it on a sit/stand desk. I could have perhaps fitted in the 8020s but as I'm using them with the 7040 subwoofer, perhaps would not have made much difference and it saved a lot of money. When I travel, I take the 8010s in a bag with the Ifi Zen and a RCA/XLR cable and have a great travelling system together with a portable projector. Couldn't do that with a larger speaker!

Attachments

• Genelecs.jpg
    Genelecs.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 405

jSchultz

Nice. My 7040a gets here tomorrow and now I’m excited to set it up with the 8010s. Glad to hear everything integrates so well.

YSC

Major Contributor
We sure have snow but i plan to keep them indoors in the winter. How they will hold up otherwise, time will tell. You win some, Lose some..
I just wonders... the port seems not a good idea for using outdoor, as a lot of insects like those dark holes for hive. and insect bodies, nest building or excretions isn't any good to electronics, or say if you play one day finding some angered hornet coming out..

jSchultz

7040A subwoofer came in today. Haven't re-ran Sonarworks yet, but with current profile and sub added, it functions as a nice addition to the 8010A monitors. Everything seems very well balanced.

YSC

Major Contributor
7040A subwoofer came in today. Haven't re-ran Sonarworks yet, but with current profile and sub added, it functions as a nice addition to the 8010A monitors. Everything seems very well balanced.
That's the beauty of Genelec, though IME 7040A best to be used in a really tiny room with wall boosting, it can go to 25hz with that

jSchultz

That's the beauty of Genelec, though IME 7040A best to be used in a really tiny room with wall boosting, it can go to 25hz with that

My attic space is 10 feet wide with a 7.5 ft tall ceiling - thats why I chose this combo, for sure.

But because it's a tiny space, I'm fighting room modes that are something fierce, even with a lot of acoustic treatment. REW/Sonarworks show that the sub gets me down to 29 hz before it dive-bombs off to zero. By 25 hz, I'm already in a -12db null.

Reactions: YSC

YSC

Major Contributor
My attic space is 10 feet wide with a 7.5 ft tall ceiling - thats why I chose this combo, for sure.

But because it's a tiny space, I'm fighting room modes that are something fierce, even with a lot of acoustic treatment. REW/Sonarworks show that the sub gets me down to 29 hz before it dive-bombs off to zero. By 25 hz, I'm already in a -12db null.
ic, then I am lucky, I have to use the -2db knob to not let bass overboosted, and my 25hz is basically in line with my 1khz level, although a 8db bass boost at 30hz results

Top Bottom