• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

jSchultz

What are your room dimensions like? I have the 7040 set up at the moment as instructed in the Genelec manual (24 inches off of front wall) and I have it off center to my left a little bit.

Attached my room response with the set up too. No matter what monitors I've used, I've always gotten that annoying 130hz to 350 hz resonance, which is the result of the 0-0-2, floor to ceiling room mode. Part of it is probably desk resonance too, but I can't do too much about that even with the 8010s elevated on isoacoustics stands. Aside from the resonance there and that wicked 85hz null, it's appreciably flat.

Attachments

• 03088BEA-13CC-4B0C-A3CD-9A5E8441E08A.jpeg
    03088BEA-13CC-4B0C-A3CD-9A5E8441E08A.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 182

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the 7040 set up at the moment as instructed in the Genelec manual (24 inches off of front wall) and I have it off center to my left a little bit.
I assume the front of the sub is then approx. 32" away from the front wall? The bass dip you are seeing to me looks like either an SBIR dip or possibly a phase cancelation between the sub and the mains in the crossover region.
May I suggest to try and put the sub as near as possible to the front wall and remeasure?
If it is an SBIR dip that should fix it.
Good luck!

jSchultz

I assume the front of the sub is then approx. 32" away from the front wall? The bass dip you are seeing to me looks like either an SBIR dip or possibly a phase cancelation between the sub and the mains in the crossover region.
May I suggest to try and put the sub as near as possible to the front wall and remeasure?
If it is an SBIR dip that should fix it.
Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. I re-ran REW with the sub up against the front wall, and I didn't get much change. REW images attached. Not sure if this is something I can solve or not.
5CE7C954-3F52-43C7-8404-58E7D195F677.jpeg

Eneko

I recently bought a pair of 8010 and a 7040 sub for a home office (I don't work in anything related to audio, but I enjoy it ;) . The environment is far from ideal:
DCA4F65E-6598-45EE-A4B1-34158F3A4282.jpeg

After taking the first measurements (and applying psychoacoustic smoothing) I confirmed what I thought, a annoying and very noticeable peak at around 130 Hz (red line)... I applied some quick and dirty manual EQ to my taste and the result is quite satisfying (green line).
Image G2.jpg

As you can see in the spectrogram, the result is still not ideal by any means, but in a rented house and without being able to install any room treatment... I am really happy with them :)

Spectrogram.jpg

jSchultz

Looking good. Yeah, that resonance is there for me too, and it likely results from the desk. Attenuating that part of the range with an EQ makes them sound way better for sure.

ahmedmo1

Hi there folks,

I currently have a pair of Genelec 8010s as my surround channels in my condo 5.2 setup. They are on top of mic stands flanking both sides of my couch. They are stellar performers. However, I'm concerned they don't have the necessary low end. They are about 1.5 feet above listening height and each are roughly 3.5 ft from my head. In room, they're flat to ~75-80Hz.

I wanted to see if Genelec 8020s would suit me better. I got a killer deal for them but they're quite a bit larger and they need ~$100-150 in add-ons to mount them onto the mic-stand securely. So there's an opportunity cost.

At that 3.5 ft listening distance, would you expect the larger speakers would make a difference or are they a waste?

Is there material you could recommend to stress test the surround channels to look for differences?

Thanks for the suggestion. I re-ran REW with the sub up against the front wall, and I didn't get much change. REW images attached. Not sure if this is something I can solve or not. View attachment 147463

What are room measurements (if more precise, we could help you better)? 1st thing - did you tried with switching phase of sub (180 switch and then measure it)?

In another pass try with desktop control 8010 - it should help with 160Hz bump.

jSchultz

What are room measurements (if more precise, we could help you better)? 1st thing - did you tried with switching phase of sub (180 switch and then measure it)?

In another pass try with desktop control 8010 - it should help with 160Hz bump.

The room is fairly small - only 10 feet wide with the ceiling sloping up to 7.5 feet at a 53 degree angle, starting at 4 feet from the floor. The length is super long - 30 feet.

Yes - this is with switching the phase of the sub. No need to try using the desktop control as the DSP flattened it out. I accept that my room is terrible and will have that low end resonance/null.

Hephaestus

does the 8020d also suffer from this hero-to-zero effect on deep base?
Hi there,

You probably meant bass not base?

The thing is that none of these tiny / microscopic near field monitors is going to deliver on the deep bass department. It is just physics. I have 8361A which are enormous in size when compared to 8010 or 8020 and even they need subwoofer to really deliver full range sound.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
And i thought i love Genelec lol
View attachment 108101
OML. How did I miss this!
I had been pawing around the idea of making a lightweight kit car and having a solution like this instead of mounting speakers in the doors.
It does kind of look like something you'd find in a build like this... lol
2019_ddr_gt8_158811816628c372f20200310_065647.jpg

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's funny
In Amir's review of the 8341A he wrote it doesn't get loud at all(6.5 inch woofer) and you're using a 5 inch Genelec as midfield.
Some say even the tiny 8010 can fill a room and others claim that even the 8361A(10 inch) needs a sub
I really don't know what to think anymore lol
Exactly what I was thinking lately! Very puzzling. :)

But when I sit next to my wall, the 8030C has too much bass. Whereas when I sit in the middle of the room, it sounds so tiny and dull! Perhaps it is a beginning of explaination...

digitallysane

Exactly what I was thinking lately! Very puzzling. :)

But when I sit next to my wall, the 8030C has too much bass. Whereas when I sit in the middle of the room, it sounds so tiny and dull! Perhaps it is a beginning of explaination...
Just got a pair of 8010As and when sitting at my desk I feel they can get very loud... which stays true even if I'm 2m away from the desk.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got a pair of 8010As and when sitting at my desk I feel they can get very loud... which stays true even if I'm 2m away from the desk.
What kind of music do you listen to?
On electronic dance music, it clearly seems like lacking bass.
Listen to third extract at 1 min 54:

digitallysane

What kind of music do you listen to?
On electronic dance music, it clearly seems like lacking bass.
Yes, they show their limits on some Kanye West tunes with some deep bass, but in a nice way (no distortion or anything unpleasant as described in the review). It still sounds great. Same for Aphex Twin, Apoptygma Berzerk, Burial and some other electronic stuff.
They're perfect for listening to Metallica, The White Stripes, King Crimson, Sting and similar stuff.
I can also push them while tweaking my Yamaha MODX synthesizer, which is expected.
I'll probably get the 7040 sub, but very happy with the performance atm for what they are.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an old 2.1 kit for the computer, with 3 inch woofers satellites and a 8 inch sub, crossed over at 140Hz. To be honest, the kit goes plenty loud and is sufficient for throwing a party in a small flat.

But without the sub, I don't know how it would be (can't disconnect it).

stemfencer

If pairing these with a sub (e.g. 7040 or similar), and just listening at near field distance at moderate volume (i.e. desktop), is there any real reason to get the 8020/30s over these?

Top Bottom