• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

Thorskin

Is there anyway to plug in my Genelec 8010 (XLR to RCA on AVR Preouts) over a distance of 20-30m (Around the room) without any loss of quality?
I'm using them as my rear speakers paired with 8030s in the front.
I know that XLR is great over long distances, but unfortunately my AVR does not have balanced connections.
Will the loss of quality be bad? It's only for the rear channels for 5.1 movies so maybe it's not that important?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there anyway to plug in my Genelec 8010 (XLR to RCA on AVR Preouts) over a distance of 20-30m (Around the room) without any loss of quality?
I'm using them as my rear speakers paired with 8030s in the front.
I know that XLR is great over long distances, but unfortunately my AVR does not have balanced connections.
Will the loss of quality be bad? It's only for the rear channels for 5.1 movies so maybe it's not that important?
This depends on the output impedance of your AVR and the capacity of the cable which scales linear with length. Both create a low pass so high frequencies are suppressed. With low enough output impedance it will not be audible.

If in doubt try to find a low capacitance cable or get a DI-box. The latter is probably the best solution because it has balanced outputs so noise and hum which enters the 30m cable will be suppressed.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got myself a pair, because I thought besting @Pearljam5000 on owning some aluminum would be a very nice way to end 2023.* Has got speakers yet, PJ? :)

Are there other sub options than the proprietary 7040? I will probably not use these speakers for music listening, but if I wanted to use them beyond their intended use case, they do need a sub. Yet, I would not like to spend the sum for a 7040.

Is it correct that a sub would need to have stereo xlr through ins/outs? Any other way how connect them? DiY suggestion?

________
*Actually, I got them to serve as the basis for a sound installation in an exhibition space.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I got myself a pair, because I thought besting @Pearljam5000 on owning some aluminum would be a very nice way to end 2023.* Has got speakers yet, PJ? :)

Are there other sub options than the proprietary 7040? I will probably not use these speakers for music listening, but if I wanted to use them beyond their intended use case, they do need a sub. Yet, I would not like to spend the sum for a 7040.

Is it correct that a sub would need to have stereo xlr through ins/outs? Any other way how connect them? DiY suggestion?

________
*Actually, I got them to serve as the basis for a sound installation in an exhibition space.
I still have nothing
But enjoy yours :cool:

changer

I have listened to them for some hours now. 60 dB A-rated, 70 dB Z-rated according to my smartphone meter. What I can say is that everything sounds quite a bit hollow, as if the foundation was missing, which comes to no surprise. Soundstage is nice and wide! 120 deg horizontal seems to be a good pattern width.

At the aforementioned listening level, I was confident to torture the 3-inch woofer a bit more: Low-shelf fc=85, q=0.7, +10 dB, then removed the upper bass hump somewhat with PEQ fc=140, q=1.5, -1.5 dB; also, I did not like the slope of the speaker, too dull, so I added a highshelf, fc=2kHz, q=0.304, +1 dB. Already much better sounding.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the 8010s frequency response cuts down steeply around 70 Hz you could use any sub with these features:
  1. Stereo line level input
  2. Volume control
  3. Low pass frequency adjustable between 60 and 80 Hz
For connection use Y split cables.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have listened to them for some hours now. 60 dB A-rated, 70 dB Z-rated according to my smartphone meter. What I can say is that everything sounds quite a bit hollow, as if the foundation was missing, which comes to no surprise.
Get a Umik 1 and free REW and measure.

changer

For connection use Y split cables.

Currently the chain is: Raspberry Pi -> PiCorePlayer-> USB audio -> Focusrite 2i2 -> XLR -> 8010.

So I start with two channels. But the sub wants to mix down the stereo, right? How would it do it?

changer

I still have nothing
But enjoy yours :cool:
You wouldn't be happy with the 8010s, well, apart from their physicality, maybe ... Interesting and versatile little devices that work well for some use cases, but HiFi listening is certainly not it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Currently the chain is: Raspberry Pi -> PiCorePlayer-> USB audio -> Focusrite 2i2 -> XLR -> 8010.

So I start with two channels. But the sub wants to mix down the stereo, right? How would it do it?
One option would be to replace the 2i2 with a DAC that has both Bal and Unbal outputs. The least expensive option afaik is the SMSL M300 SE.

You can then plug the sub in via a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable and the Genelecs via XLR.

Advantage: you can use HT subs that do not have XLR in.

Disadvantage: this setup makes it impossible to high-pass the Mains, so you'd have to live with the 8010's natural bass roll-off.

Alternatively, you could keep the 2i2 and look for a Studio sub with XLR in/out.

Elder

What kind of music do you listen to?
On electronic dance music, it clearly seems like lacking bass.
Listen to third extract at 1 min 54:

I owned a pair for around 12 months and listen to mostly electronic music, don't know what I was expecting but they were definitely not the right speaker for me. Used them at a desk on little stands at ear height.

Although when I was selling them and set them up on floorstanding stands playing some acoustic stuff as a demonstration for the buyer, I almost started regretting selling them!

Anyone else that owns/owned the 8010a find they seem a little vague in the lower mids? Almost like a hollow/phasing sort of sound....totally could have been my room at the time, since they seem to measure so nicely.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It sums the channels internally. Nothing a user needs to worry about.

changer

You can then plug the sub in via a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable and the Genelecs via XLR.

Advantage: you can use HT subs that do not have XLR in.

Is this possible:

y split cabel XLR ->
-> (one) -v 8010
-> (two) XLR -> RCA adapter -> Sub?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is this possible:

y split cabel XLR ->
-> (one) -v 8010
-> (two) XLR -> RCA adapter -> Sub?
Technically yes, but it's a somewhat dodgy way of doing things.
XLR->RCA can have some side effects like increased distortion and higher DC offset.
Plus if the adapter is not constructed well, then it could short the DAC's Cold output to GND (not good).

I would definitely make the adapter myself to ensure that everything is connected properly.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Anyone else that owns/owned the 8010a find they seem a little vague in the lower mids? Almost like a hollow/phasing sort of sound....totally could have been my room at the time, since they seem to measure so nicely.
The bass response is the crux of the matter. It's dropping like a rock below 75ish Hz (-10 dB being in the low 60s), and there's this broad bump around 150 Hz, in sum resulting in a "small speaker" sound. My EVE SC203s have a very similar kind of tuning, and it took a good amount of EQ (addressing said bump and applying +12 dB of relatively high-Q boost at 55-58 Hz) to get the bass half-decent for casual listening (they're my office speakers).

I think this tuning is intended to maximize SPL output when using them as surrounds and whatnot. In a nearfield application you can go wild with the EQ.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
You wouldn't be happy with the 8010s, well, apart from their physicality, maybe ... Interesting and versatile little devices that work well for some use cases, but HiFi listening is certainly not it.
what would you say about 8020s? I have a pair that I really like but think they need a sub, which I haven't picked up yet.

changer

I can not give you a general answer, but from my personal experience, I can describe how I perceive it:

- The 8020 appears to have an f3 cutoff value of about 60 Hz (-3 dB down from average SPL, usually based on SPL between 300-3000 Hz, iirc).
- According to many frequency charts for the spectrum of various instruments this appears to be mostly fine (see 1, 2). Only sub bass would be missing.
- Actually, the 8010A with its f3 of 74 dB dos great for pure speech intelligibility, in line with the frequency spectrum charts that I linked to above.
- But this is not my experience for music listening. When I listen to my main system (DSP, ClassD, 10 inch woofer, waveguide on 1-inch compression driver, ugly, “provisional” chipboard boxes), guitar strings, cello, voices, all of this sounds round, full and just right. This speakers have an f3 of 43 Hz. Because they are assisted-vented systems, just like the Genelec, response falls like a rock below the tuning frequency.
- This is why I think at an f3 of 60 Hz, the 8020 would probably not sound full to my ears with the most content.
- This is supported by my listening impression with the Behringer B2030P, that have an f3 somewhat above 100 Hz, but an extended bass shelf tuning that sustains a attenuated bass response down to 40 Hz. Despite the significant roll-off, I still prefer this with when mounted close to a wall (additional bass gain) over the 8010A for music listening.

Probably, 60 Hz is not enough.

Top Bottom