• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Found a TPA3255 4 channel module on AliExpress

AddamR

I have one of these and they make a loud hiss (on a 108dB sensibility compression driver...), so loud as they are not useful for a hifi setup. My hypex doesnt exhibit any noise in the same configuration: you get what you pay for.
Oooh, I haven't tested these for functionality yet. Will hook up a basic setup and find out this weekend.

Did you find they may be sensitive to EMI? Grounding, wiring requirements maybe?

They're only $90AUD, which is why I got them, just to 'take a look' and because they were TPA3255, which I'm running at the moment on my analog setup. Have a bunch of TPA3118 amps and they hiss like a cut snake too.

AddamR

yes, my 96dB woofer hisses a lot less, so I would guess at 86dB you hear almost nothing.
The Vifa P17WJ0008 is 86db, I've 4 of these and have used the 6.5" and 5" vifa drivers before and been really impressed with them. Didn't want to go out and buy more hardware for speakers, rather use what I have.

Digital, is of course, a different beast.

AddamR

I wanted to take a look at the board and the page said "cannot ship to your address. Please pick another item or address"

Beginnings of US-China tradewar???
The no name 4ch amp, also branded as the Aiyima B2D2205? Which sites, because they're available on Ali, Ebay and from Aiyima

ldarieut

Did you find they may be sensitive to EMI? Grounding, wiring requirements maybe?
I also had a 3Eaudio 3255 but only two channels, and it had the same hiss. I used a 3eAudio SMPS with both.
I should also add that there is a minidsp shd in the chain which significantly amplifies the hiss.
Could be my setup, but as my final build will be with nc400 (still need to source 2 more modules), I didn't really bother to find out if something is wrong with the wiring. Doesn't sound like buzz (grounding issue), just static.

AddamR

I also had a 3Eaudio 3255 but only two channels, and it had the same hiss. I used a 3eAudio SMPS with both.
I should also add that there is a minidsp shd in the chain which significantly amplifies the hiss.
Could be my setup, but as my final build will be with nc400 (still need to source 2 more modules), I didn't really bother to find out if something is wrong with the wiring. Doesn't sound like buzz (grounding issue), just static.
Yes, I've been researching noise interference and will be shielding the DSP and Amps, also using quality TP sheilded wiring. I chose the balanced route for that very reason of noise, but have never used this before. But with everything DIY, you don't know, until you know.

Test will be just an analog setup, single ended, I've only got half the hardware delivered so far, I'll be using those cheap $20 green ADAU1701s, if they don't pan out, have considered the 1452/66 or a Sharc DSP from Aliexpress. MiniDSP is a bit out of my price range and for a learning curve, too much investment.

Power supplies, I was going to go for one of these 600w LLC switching units, one for each amp. Not ordered yet, as I've got a 400w HP server PSU and 2 x 900w/15a dc-dc boosters I'll test first for suitability at 36v 12-15a

SE to Balanced converters (DRV134) in DSP component is being powered by a dual rail 24v 420W LLC, which I've got sitting around (using voltage converters hanging off the HP power supply, for lower voltages required for ADAU boards and PCM1808/02)

Have ordered 1 each of PCM1808 and PCM1802 (test for suitability, probably go for the 1808), as an ADC (RCA to I2S) after my SMSL DAC.

Power supplies, Amps and DSP will all be in thier own housings, with amps either near speakers or in an active setup.

Plug and play gear is boring (but reliable and predictable), DIY with unknowns is more of a fun challenge

AddamR

The 3e Amps are far superior units of course and I was considering 3 or 4 of the stereo TPA3255 units, but at $170AUD, not a budget friendly option at the moment. They are on the cards for next year though, as I'm aware these 4ch Chinese TPA3255s are just that - 'get what you pay for'
Screenshot_20230630_021732_Firefox.jpg

ai1

I am using mine with the SMPS600RS by Connex and Minidsp 4x10hd (balanced outputs) in aluminium enclosure. Looks I had quite a bit of chance--people are complaining of the hiss comming from the minidsp.

OP
M

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That explains it. The NC400 is very quiet at 25 microvolts residual noise, unweighted. The TPA3255 is 85 microvolts residual noise, A weighted. So call it 100 microvolts unweighted. That's a 4 x difference in noise voltage so (waves hands) basically 9dBSPL more hiss.

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor

AddamR

This looks quite handy, I just bought one for an active speaker project and will share pics when it arrives: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...der_detail.order_detail_item.3.5708f19cuzSL7O

The TPA3255 is one of the better performing chip amps, but most modules are two channel. In 4 channel configuration you still get 77W/ch @ 1% and 100dB S/N. Although this unit is specced as max 48V whereas the TI spec is at 53.5V (https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3255.pdf)
ill hook mine up this weekend and we can compare

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
It looks like you're the first and only customer according to the web page. Too bad they apparently won't ship to to U.S. -- again, according to the page. :(
Aliexpress sales numbers are always totally random, I ignore them :)

ldarieut

Tu
I am using mine with the SMPS600RS by Connex and Minidsp 4x10hd (balanced outputs) in aluminium enclosure. Looks I had quite a bit of chance--people are complaining of the hiss comming from the minidsp.
My minidsp shd acts as an analog pre-amp (balanced) to the tpa3255 so it amplifies the hiss quite a lot, but the hiss is still present without the dsp. The new tpa3255 from 3eAudio seems a lot better in that regard, but it's almost double the price of the previous model.

Top Bottom