• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TPA3255 4-channel module review - $12.50 per channel but is it any good?

OP
M

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In which case probably don’t bridge the outputs, just drive each voice coil from one channel I reckon. Not an expert in subs but that seems safest as the amp is designed for 4 x 4ohm loads. Requires 4 wires instead of 2 to the sub of course.

in fact now I look at the datasheet again, 2+1 is actually a different operating mode, so you really have to operate it as 4xSE, otherwise results could be very unpredictable. See table 1 on page 4. The output stages look the same but the inputs operate differently.

sychan

Forum Donor
In which case probably don’t bridge the outputs, just drive each voice coil from one channel I reckon. Not an expert in subs but that seems safest as the amp is designed for 4 x 4ohm loads. Requires 4 wires instead of 2 to the sub of course.

in fact now I look at the datasheet again, 2+1 is actually a different operating mode, so you really have to operate it as 4xSE, otherwise results could be very unpredictable. See table 1 on page 4. The output stages look the same but the inputs operate differently.

Actually, the hypothetical usage is from an 8 channel DAC, so if I dedicated 4 channels and just had the channels as (high, mid, low, low) with 2 of the 4 channels just being copies of the output for the woofer, would that work?

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Actually, the hypothetical usage is from an 8 channel DAC, so if I dedicated 4 channels and just had the channels as (high, mid, low, low) with 2 of the 4 channels just being copies of the output for the woofer, would that work?
Yes, that's operating the amp as 4xSE channels. You just happen to be driving two voicecoils of one sub rather than 1 voicecoil each of 2 subs. It will work, but you had better be very sure of your setup. Check all polarities carefully.

jamescarter1982

100x93x35mm. In my main system I use the 3e-audio BTL modules which are a totally different level of quality, but this one seems fine for a second system or experimental setup.
could I have some more information on the modules your using in your main system always on the look out for this sort of thing for active speaker builds .use older pioneer/denon av amps atm but something that could be built in and cut down on boxes would be good

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
could I have some more information on the modules your using in your main system always on the look out for this sort of thing for active speaker builds .use older pioneer/denon av amps atm but something that could be built in and cut down on boxes would be good

jamescarter1982

amazing thanks very much !!

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
I use some older versions of the 3e-audio modules. If I was doing it again I would use the more recent versions @voodooless linked to. I would definitely use a Connex power supply - they are well made physically, have soft start built in, and very low idle power (<2W). The Mornsun supply 3e sell and which is used in the kit Amir reviewed is clearly also a nice unit for the price.

jamescarter1982

thankyou those modules all seem like an affordable achievable first amplifier project and thanks for advise about the smps that's really handy to have a soft start built in !

Tangband

Major Contributor
thankyou those modules all seem like an affordable achievable first amplifier project and thanks for advise about the smps that's really handy to have a soft start built in !
072 ic in input is not sota but probably better sounding than ne5532.
This might be an interesting amplifier in a 4 way dsp active tower speaker.

bigjacko

My Connex SMPS300RS 36V supply arrived, here's the stepped sine using that instead of the awful cheap power supplies I was testing before. Single channel power at 0.01% distortion is up to ~120W. This is way beyond the spec! Obviously with all channels driven power would drop, but in my intended use for an active speaker that's not a big issue. -90dB at 40W is really nice.

View attachment 329174
Thank you for the measurement! That is good power for 1 channel. Does more channel driven always reduce power? How much would it be if 4 channel driven?

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
072 ic in input is not sota but probably better sounding than ne5532.
This might be an interesting amplifier in a 4 way dsp active tower speaker.
There‘s no evidence for opamps sounding different.

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Thank you for the measurement! That is good power for 1 channel. Does more channel driven always reduce power? How much would it be if 4 channel driven?
It completely depends on power supply you use and the speakers you connect it to. Just go by the datasheet.

mprivitera1

Hi guys,

I was considering purchasing this amplifier board to drive (I'm multi-amplifying) the high part, tweeter and mids, you don't need a lot of power.....how does it sound? is it worth it?
On it there is a jumper with the name "SE - DIFF" near the signal input. What are they for?
Thanks for your help

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Hi guys,

I was considering purchasing this amplifier board to drive (I'm multi-amplifying) the high part, tweeter and mids, you don't need a lot of power.....how does it sound? is it worth it?
On it there is a jumper with the name "SE - DIFF" near the signal input. What are they for?
Thanks for your help
It doesn’t have a “sound”, unless you use it with a very high impedance tweeter and have exceptional hearing. Remember that with these modules most of your cost is going to be in the power supply, case and connectors, plus your time. Unless you are experienced with building amps there are very many cheap options available pre-built.

mprivitera1

It doesn’t have a “sound”, unless you use it with a very high impedance tweeter and have exceptional hearing. Remember that with these modules most of your cost is going to be in the power supply, case and connectors, plus your time. Unless you are experienced with building amps there are very many cheap options available pre-built.

..thanks for your intervention, yes I have a bit of familiarity with assembly, yes I really think that the power supply must be of high quality...while for the jumpers, mentioned above, you don't know anything?

olieb

This is for changing the input from SE (single ended aka RCA) to DIFF (differential/balanced aka XLR).
How exactly it is done (changes in circuit - external switchboard?) depends on the implementation.

mprivitera1

..thanks for your intervention, yes I have a bit of familiarity with assembly, yes I really think that the power supply must be of high quality...while for the jumpers, mentioned above, you don't know anything?
..reading the tpa3255 manual....I understood, the jumpers are used for the BTL of the channels....I think this is it!

mprivitera1

This is for changing the input from SE (single ended aka RCA) to DIFF (differential/balanced aka XLR).
How exactly it is done (changes in circuit - external switchboard?) depends on the implementation.

..ah...ok ..I was thinking about the BTL of the channels....Thanks

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
..reading the tpa3255 manual....I understood, the jumpers are used for the BTL of the channels....I think this is it!
No, this is not correct! It is for choosing between single ended and differential input signals. BTL or SE operation of the output requires different hardware and is not switchable

Top Bottom