• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I tested some cheap AliExpress SMPS modules....

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This one's for you @restorer-john !

I recently bought a very well priced 4-channel TPA3255 module from AliExpress (see measurements here), and though I'd take the opportunity to try out some very cheap 36V SMPS modules at the same time. They were this one, nominally 36V/5A for less than 5 US dollars, and this one, nominally 36V/7A for 20 US dollars, of which I bought 2 samples.

Let's get the super-cheap one out of the way first. On a first inspection it's not terribly built, but one of the negative output terminals doesn't seem to be connected. I detest screw terminals for anything that's going to have to sit in a case for a long time, but at this price that's what you get. On powering up it does generate 36V across the terminals that are connected, but appears not to have any ability to output current. Essentially dead on arrival, and therefore I have no measurements of amp performance with it. It did not blow up or make any magic smoke, it just didn't do its job.
IMG_0941.jpeg

Moving on to the "expensive" $20 modules, things got a bit more interesting. Build quality again showed no obvious issues. In the first round of stepped sine testing, both samples produced a very healthy 80W into 1 channel before going above 80dB SINAD. However sample 2 had an odd anomaly just under 1W, and was making buzzing noises at higher powers:
IMG_0942.jpeg

Sample 1 R1 SS.png
Sample 2 R1 SS.png

So I thought OK, let's see whether sample 1 reaches its rated power, and I plugged it directly into my 4R7 dummy load. It produced 7.3A, and I was very impressed until there was a small pop after 4 seconds and it stopped functioning. Now 36^2/4.7=275W which is a bit above its rated capacity of 36*7=250W. I gave it some recovery time but it's dead as a dodo. There are no blown fuses or exploded components, it's just not working, so I guess the output mosfets died?

I then retested sample 2 (the one with the glitch), and somehow it's now only capable of driving the TPA3255 module to 25W:
Sample 2 R2 SS.png

So that was fun and I need to order a higher quality 36V power supply, probably from Connex, which I have used with great success in many projects :)

Attachments

• Sample 1 R2 SS.png
    Sample 1 R2 SS.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
However sample 2 had an odd anomaly just under 1W
I've had similar spikes appear during stepped measurements where the FFT was disturbed due to a poor signal and didn't settle in time:
unknown-7.png

So at least this anomaly may have been caused by something else (EMI, bad connection, CPU spike, etc)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Does MeanWell PSUs have a good or bad reputation?
I suggested one one time and I don't want to feel guilty :(

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Did you measure the idle power?
Very funny :) That can be read off the datasheet. Amazingly, at zero watts of output it's infinitely inefficient!

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
I've had similar spikes appear during stepped measurements where the FFT was disturbed due to a poor signal and didn't settle in time:
View attachment 323594

So at least this anomaly may have been caused by something else (EMI, bad connection, CPU spike, etc)
Yeah maybe, but there was distinct buzzing, so I suspect in this case it just broke itself.

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Does MeanWell PSUs have a good or bad reputation?
I suggested one one time and I don't want to feel guilty :(
MeanWell are generally well regarded. They do more enclosed PSUs than open ones I think? I used one for a while in a DIY amp but it had a fan and was very large for the power, because it was enclosed. For audio applications I have shifted to Connex - though of course if you are doing a Hypex amp you should use a Hypex PSU or one that is pin-compatible.

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
What are the PCB track clearances like, between the mains and other sections?
The proper cutouts and clearances were in place. I've seen better, but they there there. Honestly I suspect the reason they are so cheap is someone bought a big pile of supplies that failed QA and is selling them to idiots like me :)

Top Bottom