• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 218 49.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 177 40.0%

• Total voters

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FedEx is a mess. They tell me the package is delayed yet today it's out for delivery after only 2 days. This is the second time this month they screwed up.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Fosi V3 arrived today. The first impression was not good. The binding posts are toys. It looks like the only thing which will work would be banana plugs. Unfortunately, the ones I have around here suck as I could not get the screws put back to hold the wires in. Otherwise, there is probably some kind of DIY solution out there, but I'm not up to trying. It took me 3 hours to connect the speaker wires with the result being a temporary setup. The second problem is gain is much lower than what I have with my Crown XLS 1502. At least 4 dB, maybe 7 dB. It's not enough to get decent volume out of my ultra low efficiency LS50's (non meta). Fortunately I did not buy it directly from Fosi, so it's going back tomorrow. SQ? It doesn't matter, I didn't listen to it very long, and I don't have the facility for a double blind test.

Over the years my experience has been audible differences in amplifiers were either because the outgoing amplifier was old and in need of work, or the difference was due to one having a much better damping factor. The later would not be in play here because I'm using self powered subs.

If you have one of these and it sings, more power to you.

Rosenbloom

May anyone please advise? Given its small physical form, how thick the speaker cables (bare, without banana plugs) can it accept? I am thinking to use 14AWG (2.5 sq mm) cables. Cheers

olieb

May anyone please advise? Given its small physical form, how thick the speaker cables (bare, without banana plugs) can it accept? I am thinking to use 14AWG (2.5 sq mm) cables. Cheers
I took out my caliper.
A rod with a diameter of 2.4 mm fits easily into the hole.
So it should fit if the wire is round. (pi*1.2^2=4.5 sq mm)
But as others mentioned you might easily produce a short because the posts are so close.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can safely use 4mm banana plugs, connector are closely cramped and so banana plug is safer and easier option.

petfr

Thanks for the answers above. Much appreciated.

These fit perfectly :)

IMG_20231107_153103.jpg

Last edited:

Juampa1989

The FiiO EK10 is a headphone amp/dac I believe. It has a line out but I doubt it puts out a strong signal and the FiiO website doesn't list line out voltage in specs for the device. If you're trying to keep costs low I'd consider getting one of the ubiquitous tube preamps that have been widely available for years now, something like a Fosi P1 or Suca Tube-02 or FX Audio Tube-03, all of which are riffs on the same theme. The thing they offer is real gain for low price. You need enough gain to provide a real 2V into the Fosi V3. You'll never get max performance out of the Fosi without feeding it 2V.

Of course, if you're happier with the Sony you mention then that's your answer. If it works and sounds good to you and makes enough SPL then go with it.
I read that the V3 supports a maximum of 2vrms, I bought the smsl c100 which is like the su1 but with Bluetooth and remote control and it has worked perfectly for me

Gofrette

Hi guys!

I can not decide wether I should buy this Fosi Audio v3 + a nice DAC or a integrated class D amp like the Audiophonics DA-S250NC DAC & Power Amp ... I tried to read as many ASR articles and comments as possible but could not find the answers to all my questions.

About my DAC+amp needs:
- it will have to power Focal Aria 926 floorstanding speakers
- it will be connected to my LG C1 TV via an optical cable
- it will have to be used via a controller from the couch (will sit in the TV bench)
- it has to be as reliable as possible, even if a bit more pricey

Here are my concerns:
- the Fosi Audio v3 doesn't seem to have a trigger jack input, does it mean I would have to manually turn it on by rotating the dial every time I want to listen to something on my TV?
- is a tiny amp like this Fosi Audio v3 really able to drive a 3-way (2x165mm bass + 1x165mm mid) bass-reflex floorstanding loudspeaker?
- do you think the power difference with the Audiophonics integrated amp will be noticeable?
- other options would be regular class A/B amps like Yamaha A-S701 or Marantz PM7000N. Do you think there are worth it compared to the class D amps I am considering?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Last edited:

burkm

They are also in a different price range. The Audiophics is (usually) more expensive. If you buy the V3 + a "nice DAC" you have many choices. The Audiophonics Hypex amp is a (fixed) power amp solution with a stereo DAC. It sells for about 530 €, at least x5-6x (?) the price of the V3. I use my V3 to drive 3-way Wharfedale Linton Anniversary speakers "6 Ohm" without any problems. They are supposedly "medium efficient" although the manufacturer stated in his specs an efficiency of 90, but measurements determined, they are 86-87 in reality.
The V3 is supposed to be a budget power amp of astonishing power (and quality) consiodering the price, whilst the Audiophonics amp seem to be quite good per se. The V3 just sounds real "good" to me...
There is supposed to be a HiEnd amp (1.400 USD. one distributor) built upon the TPY3255, the same hardware basis the V3 uses.

MAXIminiME

i have the v3 + CXN V2 - perfect combo

yes, the v3 has no trigger, but well - either let it turned on (no input, little consumption) or turn the knob

the cxn v2 - is a nice controller - Roon/StreamMagic remote controllable, many digital input options

i have 3way (2x170mm low 1x25mm high) 100W RMS /180W Max; 89.5db sensitivity speakers - the v3 knows how to drive them :)

i have added the P3 now - and well, its complete

as i wrote earlier - i replaced my aging yamaha ax-530, and i am more than happy

ps - make sure to take the 48v supply for the v3
pss - if that does not play well - its so simple to replace broken parts of the audio chain - compared to a full integrated amp (i will not go back)

dmilller

Hi guys!

I can not decide wether I should buy this Fosi Audio v3 + a nice DAC or a integrated class D amp like the Audiophonics DA-S250NC DAC & Power Amp ... I tried to read as many ASR articles and comments as possible but could not find the answers to all my questions.

About my DAC+amp needs:
- it will have to be used via a controller from the couch (will sit in the TV bench)

Here are my concerns:
- the Fosi Audio v3 doesn't seem to have a trigger jack input, does it mean I would have to manually turn it on by rotating the dial every time I want to listen to something on my TV?
- is a tiny amp like this Fosi Audio v3 really able to drive a 3-way (2x165mm bass + 1x165mm mid) bass-reflex floorstanding loudspeaker?
- do you think the power difference with the Audiophonics integrated amp will be noticeable?
- other options would be regular class A/B amps like Yamaha A-S701 or Marantz PM7000N. Do you think there are worth it compared to the class D amps I am considering?

Are you considering a streamer like Apple TV? Most people at your equipment cost level level would be using HDMI. Don't assume that the digital out from the TV will be satisfactory.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys!

About my DAC+amp needs:

Here are my concerns:
You can leave it on all the time can't you? There are external trigger, or remote options but that will cost a few dollars.

Even a 5 W amp can drive those speakers, it depends on your distance, and spl you desired from you seat.
For example, if you sit within 10 feet from the 926, the V3, even with the 32 V power supply, can get you pretty close to reference level, though the 48 V PS is better for sure.
The Audiophonics amp is more powerful but compared to the V3 with the 48 V PS, the difference would be about 1 dB or a little less, whether 1 dB of SPL is noticeable is up to you. I think it is, but barely..

Gofrette

They are also in a different price range. The Audiophics is (usually) more expensive. If you buy the V3 + a "nice DAC" you have many choices. The Audiophonics Hypex amp is a (fixed) power amp solution with a stereo DAC. It sells for about 530 €, at least x5-6x (?) the price of the V3. I use my V3 to drive 3-way Wharfedale Linton Anniversary speakers "6 Ohm" without any problems. They are supposedly "medium efficient" although the manufacturer stated in his specs an efficiency of 90, but measurements determined, they are 86-87 in reality.
The v3 is such an affordable amp indeed. I am more and more inclined to go for a v3 + DAC combo. Thanks for sharing your feedback.
You can leave it on all the time can't you? There are external trigger, or remote options but that will cost a few dollars.
Yes I could but wouldn't it wear the electronics much more quickly? Plus I wonder how much electricity it consumes when idling.
Even a 5 W amp can drive those speakers, it depends on your distance, and spl you desired from you seat.
For example, if you sit within 10 feet from the 926, the V3, even with the 32 V power supply, can get you pretty close to reference level, though the 48 V PS is better for sure.
The Audiophonics amp is more powerful but compared to the V3 with the 48 V PS, the difference would be about 1 dB or a little less, whether 1 dB of SPL is noticeable is up to you. I think it is, but barely..
My speakers are quite efficient, so the v3 should be able to drive it without a problem. The only thing I wonder is if it is capable to make the speakers produce energy-consuming sounds like bass even at lover volume. Something that even some decent A/B amps struggle to do.
i have the v3 + CXN V2 - perfect combo

ps - make sure to take the 48v supply for the v3
pss - if that does not play well - its so simple to replace broken parts of the audio chain - compared to a full integrated amp (i will not go back)
Wow, I wasn't ready for the CXN v2 price given how cheap the Fosi v3 is! I will make sure to get the 48V power supply. It's actually sold with it by default on audiophonics.com (at least in France). I fully agree on seperating the DAC and amp parts.
Are you considering a streamer like Apple TV? Most people at your equipment cost level level would be using HDMI. Don't assume that the digital out from the TV will be satisfactory.
I have a Xbox Series X and a Shield TV Pro plugged to my TV via HDMI. An Apple TV would be redundant in my case. The TV serves as a digital hub and is connected to my current amp via SPDIF (optical).

Thanks a lot for your inputs guys! I was wondering a few things:

- would the WiiM Pro Plus be an amazing DAC/Streaming box? It lacks a screen to control the volume level, doesn't it?
- what other DAC (with variable volume and a remote controller) would you recommend in association with the v3?
- do you think I should connect my Xbox and Shield TV Pro directly to a DAC and forget about the convenience of passing through my LG TV which acts as a HDMI hub in my current config?

saberger0357

Hmm - I'm using 16 guage (1.3mmsq) wire. This is fine for desktop use - I have less than 1m to each speker. In fact according to the well known speaker wire selector it should be good up to 24 feet, even with 4 ohm speakers.

It fits through the hole in the binding post. Carfully stripping the correct amount of insulation ensures there is no risk of shorts.

Not a problem in this application.
Agree. Same here.

I use 14 and 16 gauge speaker wire and while, yes, I need to twist the bare wire tightly to get into the tiny holes of the outputs, it does get in there. No loose strands, and tight screws. I have a lot of experience using bare wire with vintage amp barrier strips, and it's very much the same. As long as one is careful, there should never be any problem.

This amp drives my 4 ohm, AR3 speakers beautifully, managing the difficult to manage 12'" woofer perfectly so that the sound is as rich as one who knows these speakers would expect. It really is a terrific tiny box, especially for the money. If people need larger speaker wire outputs, or some of the other things I've read complaints about here, this is probably not the right amp. Whatever is will probably cost 3 or 4 times the V3, at least.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My speakers are quite efficient, so the v3 should be able to drive it without a problem. The only thing I wonder is if it is capable to make the speakers produce energy-consuming sounds like bass even at lover volume. Something that even some decent A/B amps struggle to do.
Your speakers are efficient, but it has impedance dip of below 3 ohms. I wouldn't worry about the so called energy-consuming sounds (that's more of a myth than facts unless we are talking about poorly designed/build amps), as long as your estimated power requirements is within the rated output of the V3, based on using the 48 V PS you will be fine. It really is a function of how loud you listen and your distance, given that you do know your speaker's sensitivity and impedance/phase angle characteristics already.

Top Bottom