• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 40 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 222 48.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 189 40.9%

• Total voters
I've had this amp for a couple of days now. I didn't expect it to run so hot while idle! I left it switched on overnight and this morning the chassis was 40c sat in a cupboard with a 29c ambient temp. The Topping PA3s never felt more than warm to the touch, but perhaps it just doesn't conduct the heat to the chassis as effectively. I'm now considering a smart plug to turn it off when not in use.
This is exactly my experience. The Fosi V3 seems too hot to leave switched on 24/7.

That partly depends on the impedance of your speakers. Rest assured, with any modern amp -- AND ESPECIALLY CLASS D -- the DF is more that adequate. In fact, it's a non - issue.

Again, with any modern amp, it's a non - issue.
Ok, you've given me hope! However, somewhere I came across rather pessimistic measurements to an amplifier based on the same 3255 chip. I’ll try to find now http://archimago.blogspot.com/2023/04/measurements-fosi-audio-tb10d-upgraded.html?m=1

Last edited:
Ok, you've given me hope! However, somewhere I came across rather pessimistic measurements to an amplifier based on the same 3255 chip. I’ll try to find now http://archimago.blogspot.com/2023/04/measurements-fosi-audio-tb10d-upgraded.html?m=1
'Rather pessimstic measurements'?? Your blog-guy measured it out at 28 times at 4R!! Anything over 10X at 4R is considered more than adequate! Buy this little amp with confidence and don't worry one whit about DF or SL. And this : if they were important then Amir would measure them. And welcome to ASR, audio taught right!

Sanity check! What type of difference should I expect going from a QSC RMX 1450 amp (8Ω=280W 4Ω=450W 2Ω=700W) vs a V3? This would be in a small medium sized room, normal (not excessively loud) listening volume levels, using a pair of Jim Holtz Statement Monitors.

I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around how the V3 amp should perform in comparison. I did briefly try a Fosi BT20A (100W x 2, TPA3116) with 24V PS, and walked away with the impression that at that time, while the BT20A could drive the speakers to decent volume, the quality of amplification didn't seem there; bass seemed lacking, sounded far more '2D' for lack of a better term; both in terms of imaging, soundstage and resolution... So while it would have been OK for background music or maybe even movies, for dedicated listening, seemed very 'lo-fi' in comparison... But, tiny budget amp with not super easy to drive speakers, seemed obvious that it would not be able to drive them to their full potential. But that it was such a tiny, light cheap thing and did an ok'ish job was a feat on its own. The QSC weighs 40 lbs (18.2 kg) lol

So should I get more of the same with the V3, albeit maybe lesser level, or should I get similar or better performance vs the QSC?

Last edited:
Sanity check! What type of difference should I expect going from a QSC RMX 1450 amp (8Ω=280W 4Ω=450W 2Ω=700W) vs a V3? This would be in a small medium sized room, normal (not excessively loud) listening volume levels, using a pair of Jim Holtz Statement Monitors.

I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around how the V3 amp should perform in comparison. I did briefly try a Fosi BT20A (100W x 2, TPA3116) with 24V PS, and walked away with the impression that at that time, while the BT20A could drive the speakers to decent volume, the quality of amplification didn't seem there; bass seemed lacking, sounded far more '2D' for lack of a better term; both in terms of imaging, soundstage and resolution... So while it would have been OK for background music or maybe even movies, for dedicated listening, seemed very 'lo-fi' in comparison... But, tiny budget amp with not super easy to drive speakers, seemed obvious that it would not be able to drive them to their full potential. But that it was such a tiny, light cheap thing and did an ok'ish job was a feat on its own. The QSC weighs 40 lbs (18.2 kg) lol

So should I get more of the same with the V3, albeit maybe lesser level, or should I get similar or better performance vs the QSC?
The QSC would be (IMO) absurd overkill for a small-ish room at moderate SPLs unless the speakers you mentioned are absurdly difficult to drive. I'm using the V3 (with a P3 preamp) driving a pair of JBL Studio 590s (6 Ohm) in a larger room and the V3 not only provides much more power than I need or use, but it sounds great as well. The P3/V3 replaced MUCH more expensive and more 'audiophile' separates and I have no intention of going back. That's how good the V3 has been for me.

Reactions: GM3
Running the TB10D with the 48V power block. I have placed a small USB fan pointing down at the amp and it stays cool even in a Tokyo summer. I use a FiiO M11 Plus with stored 24-96 files on the card and broadcast from that via LDAC to a Fiio BTA 30. Audioquest Sydney RCA cables from the BTA30 to the TB10D and then homemade 12AWG seaker cables out to my B&W 606 speakers. I have the soeakers about 2 meters from me and about 1.5 meters apart with space all around. The sound is insanely good. I am excited to see what the V3 arriving tomorrow will sound like. My vote for my favorite toy of 2023 has to go to these amps.

Esta é exatamente a minha experiência. O Fosi V3 parece quente demais para ficar ligado 24 horas por dia, 7 dias por semana.
I bought the Fosi V3 with the hope that it would heat up less than the bt20a pro which is actually very hot to the touch. I doubt that at this temperature level it will have a long useful life. Anyway, I live in a tropical country (Brazil) and this type of question is more critical for me.

Let's see how the V3 behaves with its improved cooling system compared to the bt20a pro. In any case, the V3 will only be a temporary amplifier, as I am on standby for the monoblocks that Fosi is manufacturing. I just hope that the Fosi monoblock scales better in terms of power than the ZA3.

In time: I have collected these small class D amplifiers and I can say that they are a pleasant surprise. I currently have a Topping PA5 II PLUS (good sound, but lacks power), SMSL A300 (lots of power and dynamics, but it has pronounced highs for my taste and they tire me after a few minutes of listening), SMSL AO200 (Good power and sound well balanced. My favorite) and the Fosi bt20a pro (good sound, but for my use it lacks a little more power and gets quite hot). Note: I use a MiniDSP Flex as a preamp

I bought the Fosi V3 with the hope that it would heat up less than the bt20a pro which is actually very hot to the touch. I doubt that at this temperature level it will have a long useful life. Anyway, I live in a tropical country (Brazil) and this type of question is more critical for me.

Let's see how the V3 behaves with its improved cooling system compared to the bt20a pro. In any case, the V3 will only be a temporary amplifier, as I am on standby for the monoblocks that Fosi is manufacturing. I just hope that the Fosi monoblock scales better in terms of power than the ZA3.

In time: I have collected these small class D amplifiers and I can say that they are a pleasant surprise. I currently have a Topping PA5 II PLUS (good sound, but lacks power), SMSL A300 (lots of power and dynamics, but it has pronounced highs for my taste and they tire me after a few minutes of listening), SMSL AO200 (Good power and sound well balanced. My favorite) and the Fosi bt20a pro (good sound, but for my use it lacks a little more power and gets quite hot). Note: I use a MiniDSP Flex as a preamp
Currently, I am continuing to test the product evaluation of Fosi ZA3.
You are worried about the ZA3's heat generation, but the ZA3 generates much less heat than previous products such as the V3, even when using a 48V power supply. Therefore, I don't think there will be any problems in the hot Brazilian environment. I think this is due to the new heat dissipation structure and large case.

All posts with fair criticism of this amplifier are cleared, and not only mine. In this case, we are not talking about any “audio science” here. This is just a forum for promoting Chinese goods. Thanks to all!

Reactions: GM3
All posts with fair criticism of this amplifier are cleared, and not only mine. In this case, we are not talking about any “audio science” here. This is just a forum for promoting Chinese goods. Thanks to all!
Can you elaborate on what happened? What did you post, what date did you post it, it is now deleted?

Can you elaborate on what happened? What did you post, what date did you post it, it is now deleted?
Just a clarification: Comments were moved to the Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing? so you can still read them there, but no longer in this thread.

As I responded in the other thread, I'll try to measure and compare the amps :) Hopefully, Yeti mic is good enough for it as my ECM8000 is unavailable... I'll post results here either way!

Several of my posts in this thread, which were moved to a completely unrelated thread, were directly relevant to the V3 and I have no idea why they were moved at all. I am a fan of the V3 and have followed this thread and posted a number of times regarding this unit. Why on earth would a number of posts be moved to such an unrelated thread? Checking that thread, they are buried with other unrelated posts and anyone trying to follow that thread would scratch their heads about these being in there.

What am I missing?

Several of my posts in this thread, which were moved to a completely unrelated thread, were directly relevant to the V3 and I have no idea why they were moved at all.

What am I missing?
This is AudioScienceReview. For the longest time there have been reviewers noting differences in cables, well measuring solid-state amps, power conditioners, chakra stones…. Those claims of audible impact consistently fail to be proven in level-matched blind testing.

Therefore, any claims of audible of differences in these products should be accompanied by measurements or an overview of the level matching and ABX procedures with blind test results disproving the null hypothesis.

I am not a mod or Amir, but if you want to wax poetic regarding your subjective impressions, there are dozens of audio sites for just that. Here they all get moved to the ‘measurements: nothing or everything’ thread.

The Carver challenge started about 40 years ago…

Last edited:
A08 is available at Walmart today for $79.
I don't know for how long.

Ok I created a thread for the measurements, as I don't think they're super conclusive and didn't want to go off-topic here about these... See measurement thread here. (First time using REW, definitely a learning experience)

Last edited:
This is AudioScienceReview. For the longest time there have been reviewers noting differences in cables, well measuring solid-state amps, power conditioners, chakra stones…. Those claims of audible impact consistently fail to be proven in level-matched blind testing.

Therefore, any claims of audible of differences in these products should be accompanied by measurements or an overview of the level matching and ABX procedures with blind test results disproving the null hypothesis.

I am not a mod or Amir, but if you want to wax poetic regarding your subjective impressions, there are dozens of audio sites for just that. Here they all get moved to the ‘measurements: nothing or everything’ thread.

The Carver challenge started about 40 years ago…
My posts answered questions about gain structure and input signals for the V3. Why they were swept up in a lazy attempt to banish other posts I don't know.

Got the V3 installed today. The rest of the setup is the same (48A power block used heretofore with my TB10D, Hi-res files on M11 Plus to FiiO BTA30 via LDAC, Sydney RCA to V3 and homemade 12AWG speaker cables to B&W 603 SII speakers). I had an unused audioquest NRG-Z2 power cord (C7 connection) sitting around gathering dust and decided to do a test using the standard cord and then the AQ cord and back and forth half a dozen times in quick succession. The better cord gave the song "Over The Mountain", the first track on Diary of a Madman, with its huge bass drum beats a lot more punch. It would seem there is an advantage to upgrading the power cable on the adapter but this rather defeats the purpose of an inexpensive system. As I had it already and it was a sunk cost I am glad to have it hooked up, but in all honesty you'd be fine without it as the standard cord provides quite incredible sound as it is. This V3 really does give a much wider sound stage. Great product Fosi, great product!!

I had an unused audioquest NRG-Z2 power cord (C7 connection) sitting around gathering dust and decided to do a test using the standard cord and then the AQ cord and back and forth half a dozen times in quick succession.

It would seem there is an advantage to upgrading the power cable on the adapter but this rather defeats the purpose of an inexpensive system.
Can you please measure the impact of the power cord?

Can you please measure the impact of the power cord?
No, I am not about to start measuring anything. I welcome others doing so, but that is not my gig. The A-B test I did made it worthwhile to brush the dust off and go with it. I know from experience with larger amps that a better power cable provides better sound so I applied the same logic and it seems to hold here as well. :)

No, I am not about to start measuring anything. I welcome others doing so, but that is not my gig. The A-B test I did made it worthwhile to brush the dust off and go with it. I know from experience with larger amps that a better power cable provides better sound so I applied the same logic and it seems to hold here as well. :)
Probably in the long run, more reliable with better cable. Don’t push the manufacturer of affordable/reasonable products to increase the price.

Back
Top Bottom