• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 amplifier discussion

OP
G

gafortiby

I'm learning that if you ask 10 audiophiles what makes a great amp, you get 10 different answers. :D I also love that the manufacturer is taking lots of notes and asking questions. :) Adding more features into a single box will just make the units too complicated in my opinion, which is why I think the stackable-component idea is so great.

On the EQ unit:
Someone mentioned parametric EQ. I love using parametric EQ on the Presonus StudioLive mixer, but I can't imagine putting that functionality inside a $100 box--good parametric EQ really requires a screen or LOTS of knobs. I think it's reasonable to ask for a compact multi-band EQ (using knobs) or maybe even a graphical EQ (using tiny vertical sliders) like the behringer FBQ. But real parametric EQ sounds too good to be true around $100.

For DAC, I think a multi-function DAC would be great, and a USB-only DAC really isn't necessary. The Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor is already a high quality DAC for USB. And higher quality DACs are already available from places like Geshelli labs that include Optical + SPDIF + USB. Even then PCM is all you need for music. One could argue that a DAC could also include Wifi, Bluetooth and HDMI along with Dolby decoding, but then you're really competing with the large integrated AV amps.

Any device that has multi-input really needs to have a high quality input selector. A lot of these Bluetooth enabled amps have either NO selector or a hidden selector that's the "second press" of a different button. Personally, I would pay a lot more for a device that has a physical selector like the vintage Pioneer Amplifier selector switches. These knobs had a very good detent at every stop, so eventually you can memorize the knob and select your source in complete darkness.

1682918544418.png

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm wondering what the Fosi audio rep is thinking here.

My feeling is that Fosi are NOT a company that will go into the DSP engineering side of things.

Their most expensive item to date is that E10/E10 Pro which is about $250?

I get a sense they dont want to include a remote because it introduces a whole new set of issues that they dont seem to want to tackle...

To my mind a simple analog line level preamp w/ remote would be a nice simple thing?

I mean we already have a few Douk BRZ whatever 5 line level input preamps w/ remote and bluetooth for $100 or so?

I would love a matching DAC preamp and headphone amp but it seems cost and complexity is going up and this sort of thing is trying to be too much to too many people?

Like me I have no interest in headphones amps BUT a 3.5 or 6.5 headphone socket would be nice.

Remote is a must... I mean really, in this day and age is a remote line level preamp asking a lot?

DAC and bluetooth I dont care about... the market is FILLED with good cheap dacs and BT receivers.

Is it asking too much for Fosi to compete with SMSL and Topping but at a lower price? I dont think they are there yet. I'm not putting them down. Its just that are they capable of a unit like the SMSL A300 or Sabaj A20?

And we know these have their detractors too.

OldenEars

Its so weird seeing an audio manufacturer seemingly genuinely interested in potential customers thoughts and posting on a forum.

Its the sort of behaviour that makes me want to buy their products just for the hell of it.

yuki

I became a member to say a few words to Fosi Audio. This will be my first post.

For the most part, I think smaller equipment is a good thing. However, the speaker terminals should be staggered.
The price is still unknown, but assuming it is around $100, you can't ask for better performance or power from a product in this class. It is excellent.
But this terminal makes it difficult to connect a spade plug.

Even if it is not possible this time, I hope that future Fosi-Audio products will use staggered terminals.

I admire your willingness to incorporate user feedback.

The text is created with a translation tool. Sorry for the unnatural English.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
my feeling about that is the world is fully of compromises

if you want a larger amp that can accomodate spades then you're probably going to spend more

i've actually never used spades... banana plugs is where its at

i do agree though that the vast majority of this small equipment is suited to bananas on 14-16 awg

even 12 awg presents challenges

yuki

my feeling about that is the world is fully of compromises

if you want a larger amp that can accomodate spades then you're probably going to spend more

i've actually never used spades... banana plugs is where its at

i do agree though that the vast majority of this small equipment is suited to bananas on 14-16 awg

even 12 awg presents challenges
I agree that it is a series of compromises. As a compromise, I put an air purifier and enjoy music in my living room, so I guess I don't need more performance. The power is adequate, thanks to Fosi Audio.

I, too, often use banana plugs for this class of amps. However, you don't necessarily have to have a large amp to connect with a spade plug.

The recently topping PA7 had staggered terminals, not as small as the V3, but not as large. Arranged in this way, the connector options would be greatly expanded.

I wanted to share my opinion in anticipation of Fosi Audio's future products. We rarely have this opportunity to express our opinions directly to the manufacturer. Even if the terminal layout is not staggered in future products, I will continue to support it. Because the attitude of listening to users' voices is more valuable than staggered terminals.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Fosi Audio can you please explain how the subwoofer output and the crossover works as mentioned on the first post? Thank you.

SMc

@Fosi Audio can you please explain how the subwoofer output and the crossover works as mentioned on the first post? Thank you.
I'd like to know if the subwoofer outputs are mono or stereo. I would assume the ones on other models that say "preamp" would be stereo.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm learning that if you ask 10 audiophiles what makes a great amp, you get 10 different answers. :D I also love that the manufacturer is taking lots of notes and asking questions. :) Adding more features into a single box will just make the units too complicated in my opinion, which is why I think the stackable-component idea is so great.

On the EQ unit:
Someone mentioned parametric EQ. I love using parametric EQ on the Presonus StudioLive mixer, but I can't imagine putting that functionality inside a $100 box--good parametric EQ really requires a screen or LOTS of knobs. I think it's reasonable to ask for a compact multi-band EQ (using knobs) or maybe even a graphical EQ (using tiny vertical sliders) like the behringer FBQ. But real parametric EQ sounds too good to be true around $100.

For DAC, I think a multi-function DAC would be great, and a USB-only DAC really isn't necessary. The Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor is already a high quality DAC for USB. And higher quality DACs are already available from places like Geshelli labs that include Optical + SPDIF + USB. Even then PCM is all you need for music. One could argue that a DAC could also include Wifi, Bluetooth and HDMI along with Dolby decoding, but then you're really competing with the large integrated AV amps.

Any device that has multi-input really needs to have a high quality input selector. A lot of these Bluetooth enabled amps have either NO selector or a hidden selector that's the "second press" of a different button. Personally, I would pay a lot more for a device that has a physical selector like the vintage Pioneer Amplifier selector switches. These knobs had a very good detent at every stop, so eventually you can memorize the knob and select your source in complete darkness.

View attachment 282715
I think an effective PEQ box can have a USB input (like a MiniDSP and just appear as a mass storage device on a PC) or take an SD card loaded with the PEQ details. I am think it can be as simple as a single file - say peq.txt in the root folder - this would be an export from REW or whatever tool. This way its keeps the 'box' super simple not need any knobs but maybe a blue / red light etc (red meaning something wrong with the format of the file) and an on / off switch would be good enough - though obviously it can get more complicated, e.g. 4 different PEQ files and maybe a way to toggle between them.

jamjam

I'm following this one and the BT20A Pro. They are both interesting to me, to the point that I'm holding off on any more purchases, even used.

If Bluetooth is a mandatory option for these amps, it would have to come with a legitimately good DAC and it must, in my opinion, come with LDAC. If no LDAC, I'll continue with my collection of Aiyima A07s and Topping DX3 Pro(+)s. That's a combo that has everything that I need, including remote. Plenty of power, as I use a nice 48V brick.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to my mind the stereo power amp w/ vol and maybe tone controls is pretty much 'settled science' as it were

i personally dont need a $100 amp... there's a few good units from $200 up that really have a slew of features already... ie. remote multiple inputs

i'm not expecting a $100 amp to compete on features but i'd be willing to buy one just for fun

i'd be more interested to see where their preamp and perhaps, dac development goes

i'm not expecting DSP or room correction, that's just pie in the sky... i mean topping, smsl havent gone there simply because that sort of thing is beyond their abilities... not putting down certain companies but DSP seems to be heavily software dependant and is that where you see these companies going?

so far it seems only MiniDSP do this and at a much higher price point

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning

kiwipaul

32 volt or 48 volt?

Running smallish KEF speakers so averagely efficient but in a small room.

Do I need the additional headroom?

Are the Fosi power bricks well made (noisy etc?)

tgrauss

Thank you, indeed we are develping a preamp with the same chassis.

Why do you want a remote? Where will you use this amp?
I would love a nice AVR 5.1 preamp :) with 2 or 3 HDMI (4K compatible) inputs, 1 HDMI output with ARC and 4K capability, 1 or 2 toslink inputs, 1 good quality ADC input, 1 Bluetooth receiver, 6 or 8 channels well implemented ESS DAC a little DSP to setup delays, EQ and mixing of channels (crossover for the subwoofer, downmixing...), volume adjustment, an ethernet port (for webradio playing (providing the URL from the serial port or using radiobrowser as source of radios ?) and SMB or DLNA capability(FLAC, OGG, MP3, OPUS decoding) + a web interface to be able to control the system from a web-browser (old smartphone used as remote control) + public web API), a remote control or at least a serial port for DIY control.
A USB and SD card for playback and recording. Stereo audio codec could maybe be done using a VLSI VS1205 ?
Most bluray players can convert the Dolby and DTS codecs to PCM, so a codec decoding capability might not be useful and we can save on licensing fees on this?

ClintMiller

I backed it up as well - simply because proper cooling solution was the only thing that was missing in Aiyima A07 for me. That being said, apparently internals such as capacitors are better too, the only thing missing to me in an amp like this one is a remote, not sure how would i control a volume from the other side of the room - but i've already accepted this compromise before backing up this amp on kickstarter. Hope all goes well and it'll turn out to be as good as A07 or BT20A Pro.
Thank you for sharing the useful information and I would like to ask if it is compatible with techzapk audio applications?

Bigdan2828

I backed it as well on Kickstarter, also have a pair of Sparkos op amps waiting for when amplifier shows up... I am so pleased with Fosi Audio, this V3 circuit is such a step up from previous class d from many brands. Fosi Audio is one of the few companies around today that listens to the customers, then develops a product that will change how we see class d very soon.... I also am really impatiently waiting to see other stackable units such as a pre amp or EQ.... and hopefully one day we can have a streamer with a vu meter.... then I will be content, lol

Top Bottom