• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 vs traditional amplifier

Favalessa

Hi everybody,

I have an old “traditional” integrated amplifier, Rotel RA-05, of which I’m moderately satisfied, but not super-enthusiastic. I use it with Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 speakers.
Would it be an improvement to replace the Rotel with a Fosi V3, or an equivalent modern Class D amplifier (under 300 USD/EUR)?
I’m only referring to sound quality, the power provided by the Rotel is more than enough for me.
I need just one audio input.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Amps don’t have sound unless they are broken or working outside of their operating range. If you don’t like the sound, it’s likely the speakers, not the amp.
Conversely, the Fosi V3 has the potential to have a sound within its operating range due to load dependency, so may well sound different than OP's Rotel in a level-matched, blind comparison.

Though that's very much not a reason to upgrade, just a quirk to be aware of, so my conclusion stays the same:

@Favalessa If you're dissatisfied with the sound quality, then look into room correction or new speakers. Not a new Amp.

OP
F

Favalessa

Thanks for the answers.

My question was slightly different, I was wondering what would be the result of replacing only the amp, all the rest being the same.

I seem to understand that it would not be a real upgrade.

Last edited:

motomech

Thanks for the answers.

My question was slightly different, I was wondering what would be the result of replacing only the amp, all the rest being the same.

I seem to understand that it would not be a real upgrade.
You won't know unless you try it out. My experience is that every source/amp/speaker(s) system combo has a different sound signiture, that old synergy thing.
I have an Extron Class D of about the same vintage as your Rotel that works and sound good, but the fact that it's 15 years old and looks kind of industrial has me interested in the V3. For less than $100, I could scratch that "upgraditis" and if I didn't prefer it I would have a spare (although I doubt the Extron will ever die).
Just remember, you lose the tone controls and grow a "brick".
This guy sure likes the V3;

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
Conversely, the Fosi V3 has the potential to have a sound within its operating range due to load dependency, so may well sound different than OP's Rotel in a level-matched, blind comparison.

Though that's very much not a reason to upgrade, just a quirk to be aware of, so my conclusion stays the same:

@Favalessa If you're dissatisfied with the sound quality, then look into room correction or new speakers. Not a new Amp.
the correction is really a very delicate sport, whether it is during capture or processing even with serious means...
moreover, there is a certain irony in noting on the one hand the desire for high definition or even the perfect bit , where the impact of just the treatment of the volume numerically is to use the argument of the "rc" or the peq as if it were evidence on the quality side, low impacts. at what resolutions etc? ...
even in a bdg solution, it's not obvious... giving the feeling that something easy, general public, and easily qualitative is really unwelcome... we have endless discussions about it...

Top Bottom