• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 amplifier discussion

zeluxao

Thank you, indeed we are develping a preamp with the same chassis.

Why do you want a remote? Where will you use this amp?
When one is able to get such power (specially when switching the power supply) it can be used in many contexts. For example, I have a fosi unit (bt30d pro) in my small system in my bedroom. In this instance a remote would be very nice to have. In any situation that isn't a desktop/ nearfield listening, a remote can be quite handy. I've seen a lot of people and customers of yours mentioning this. A preamp with remote would give the extra option. And maybe boost your sales a bit more :) Oh having more rca inputs (at least one more) would also be nice for people that have different sources. Having a version of this (v3) as a monoblock would also be great! By the way, you could improve the bt30d pro by changing the pots for tone controls and sub frequency by stepped ones and in the case of the sub freq., some markings on the chassis would be nice (min, max and mid frequency and some markings corresponding to the remaining steps) Something along the picture. Also the volume pots should be like in this v3 unit. I compliment you on listening to your customers and continuously improving your products.

Attachments

• sub freq.png
    sub freq.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 81

zeluxao

For the EQ, how many bands do you think are appropriate?

We are thinking of super bass, bass, middle, and treble.
Not sure if you're mentioning eq presets... If you are, a loudness option would be great to listen in low volumes. If not, two options in the mids would be great (low and high mids)

Last edited:

zeluxao

I am using this as a desktop amp so I don’t want a remote. And people who are using it for headphone listening also do not want a remote.

However there are many people here who want to use class D amps as their home theater system. Then of course you need a remote.
Some do, some don't. Therefore a preamp with remote could be a good option.

zeluxao

Not sure if you're mentioning eq presets... A loudness option would be great to listen in low volumes. I'd say bass, treble, mid and loudness. Or for a more easy solution tone controls with 3 options (bass, treble and mids).

I second stackable components. That‘s where Schiit visually excels over all the other desktop gear out there.
Yes, following Schitt's concept would be a good idea. But at lower prices :)

zeluxao

It seems like this could make a nice micro-monoblock if differentially driven?
Maybe with stepped volume so it's easier to accurately match volume in different units. Or a v3.1 version with some sort of switches like the la90 from topping has, that allow to switch between mono or stereo, volume Control on or off, etc.

Last edited:

john61ct

Link to manual is not working ?

What is the rated watts out to 8 ohm ?

Is there really a sub out, if so what Hz cutoff ? Or is it just the full Pre Out signal ?

Would 48Vdc at 10A add any headroom as opposed to the bundled 5A ?

Recommended PSUs, please link to examples better than Drok.

Hypex SMPS400A180 ?

Mean Well HLG seems overkill, but I like the voltage adjustability. Would bringing voltage down be a good way to protect "kids blowing" susceptible speakers ?

john61ct

Thank you, indeed we are develping a preamp with the same chassis.

Why do you want a remote? Where will you use this amp?
Remote on a pre-amp, or integrated is great for LOTS of use cases, avoid long line level interconnects to the power amp which is near the speakers.

But it MUST be a quality pot. See Schiit SYN for ideas.

Their S/PDIF optical (TOSlink) input is great, stereo only, from most smart TV or disc player, even some gaming consoles.

No need to include phono or a DAC we have those.

Quality BT like on BT20a Pro.

And at least two analog inputs please.

Would be nice:

A "tape monitor" loop for full EQ / DSP processing, separate from the basic tone control preamp output

especially if not including bass management High Pass / Low Pass and separate gain control.

Zek

Major Contributor
.... S/PDIF optical (TOSlink) input is great, stereo only, from most smart TV or disc player, even some gaming consoles.
No need to include ........ a DAC we have those.
If you have SPDIF inputs, then there must be a DAC - there is no other way to get analog output.

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Not sure if you're mentioning eq presets... If you are, a loudness option would be great to listen in low volumes. If not, two options in the mids would be great (low and high mids)

No, I mean controls, but thank you for your suggestions, we have added loudness to one of our headphone amplifier.

We will consider whether it is useful for power amplifier.

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Link to manual is not working ?

What is the rated watts out to 8 ohm ?

Is there really a sub out, if so what Hz cutoff ? Or is it just the full Pre Out signal ?

Would 48Vdc at 10A add any headroom as opposed to the bundled 5A ?

Recommended PSUs, please link to examples better than Drok.

Hypex SMPS400A180 ?

Mean Well HLG seems overkill, but I like the voltage adjustability. Would bringing voltage down be a good way to protect "kids blowing" susceptible speakers ?
It is just the full Pre Out signal.

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Remote on a pre-amp, or integrated is great for LOTS of use cases, avoid long line level interconnects to the power amp which is near the speakers.

But it MUST be a quality pot. See Schiit SYN for ideas.

Their S/PDIF optical (TOSlink) input is great, stereo only, from most smart TV or disc player, even some gaming consoles.

No need to include phono or a DAC we have those.

Quality BT like on BT20a Pro.

And at least two analog inputs please.

Would be nice:

A "tape monitor" loop for full EQ / DSP processing, separate from the basic tone control preamp output

especially if not including bass management High Pass / Low Pass and separate gain control.
Do you mean High pass filter, Lower Pass filter and gain control on a preamp?

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love the idea of using Kickstarter for this, I would love to see other products doing this. And I do like the option with the 48V power supply (I hope it lives up to Fosi Audio claims). Anyway I pledged $800 so hopefully that will bring it closer to reality.

Even though I already have a BT20A Pro (which I think is an excellent amp) I do like the idea that we can get stackable components with the same design, so well done @Fosi Audio

My wish list for other stackable options would be something like this:
  1. Preamp DAC / Headphone Amp in same style (with optical, usb with remote etc )
  2. EQ box (I bought myself a MiniDSP unit which is great) but would love to see other audio companies try to compete in this space (so more than a simple EQ - though I do like the 4 options mentioned previously - but a relatively cheap digital PEQ 'box' would be amazing, e.g. Digital in / Digital output to preamp above)
  3. A streamer - e.g. maybe a new partnership say with LinkPlay to bundle a Wiim Pro like streamer in the same style - but maybe with HDMI - I like the idea of seeing Album Art on connected screen.

john61ct

Do you mean High pass filter, Lower Pass filter and gain control on a preamp?
I am saying, if you do not include these to accommodate subwoofer usage, then the "in / out" loop is a low-cost way for users to add that functionality or even use parametric EQ or full-fledged DSP processing

robwpdx

For reference, Pro-ject Audio Systems has a whole line of stackable box products - https://www.project-audio.com/. They are Austrian, independently owned, and do a good job on products and marketing.

I would always recommend any company settle on an industrial design language and stick with it. That language can apply to the whole brand, or a sub brand.

zeluxao

No, I mean controls, but thank you for your suggestions, we have added loudness to one of our headphone amplifier.

We will consider whether it is useful for power amplifier.
I actually think it's more usefull when using speakers. Specially when they have lowe sensitivity. And to listen to music in low volumes, it can be pretty useful as well.

Top Bottom