• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Examples of Sony Audio's Marketing BS

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony is notorious for their BS marketing claims. I would like to name and shame them for each and every one of them and decided to collect them under this thread. If you find one, feel free to add it here please.

To kick it of, lets start with their claim that the higher purity oxygen free copper chassis increases the sound quality of their DAP.

And we wonder why there are so many audiophile who swear by their cables.

1702840313456.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I applaud your goal, but really Sony did give the world many useful things, among them the impetus with Philips to switch over to digital. That plus it could be a full time hobby to track down each of Sony's marketing BS ideas. And they are no different than 99.9% of any other company. If marketing is involved there is a near certainty BS is too.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
sony also gave the world rootkit

they're big conglomo that is as bad as any other company

remember how those denon marantz reviews went

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I applaud your goal, but really Sony did give the world many useful things, among them the impetus with Philips to switch over to digital. That plus it could be a full time hobby to track down each of Sony's marketing BS ideas. And they are no different than 99.9% of any other company. If marketing is involved there is a near certainty BS is too.
You are right, they did. My first ever personal music player was a Sony. Their contribution to audio world is undeniable. That is one of the reasons why it bothers me a lot when they come up with such kind of bullshit. I am not talking about BS you can ignore, like "life like sound" or "highest fidelity you ever heard" kind of crap all companies do, I am talking about proper, Audiogon level, disseminating misinformation type BS - like copper housings improving the sound quality of DAPs and "audio grade" solders.

Look at post #2 - how will the audio world will be less about superstition and more about science if Sony, that "invented" digital audio together with Philips, is claiming in their marketing material that solder you use affects the quality of sound in an IEM?

I do realize this might be a massive undertaking, but we gotta start somewhere, right :)

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Marketing/Sales teams can be hard to deal with.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another example, from their over ear Z1R page this time, Sony marketing / product management team claiming that content at 120KHz makes a difference to "vocal melodies (..) and tonality".
1702877343974.png

DonR

Major Contributor
A lot of their dubious claims came from the ES line of "audiophile" consumer gear. Interestingly, I rarely saw any BS from their video division. The Trinitron was king of displays during my college years.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Marketing/Sales teams can be hard to deal with.
I find it hard to believe that the content that's published on a product's web page on the international site does not have the approval of the Product Manager of that specific product, meaning either Product Managers in Sony believe that capacitors and solders and cables do make a difference, or they are intentionally lying.

MCH

Major Contributor
I thought about this a few times, not specifically about Sony, but when reading data sheets of electronic components. Great idea and I would even expand it to "otherwise serious or technically competent companies that can't help but joining the snake oil BS" in another thread.

Nichicon example, and there are plenty others. Excuse me for going out of topic.
Screenshot_2023-12-18-06-55-23-47_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it hard to believe that the content that's published on a product's web page on the international site does not have the approval of the Product Manager of that specific product, meaning either Product Managers in Sony believe that capacitors and solders and cables do make a difference, or they are intentionally lying.
I dunno but in many corporations the technical stuff is downstream from the sales stuff.

beeface

Sony seems like a shadow of its former self. Are they at the forefront of anything these days? Cameras and broadcast maybe?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony seems like a shadow of its former self. Are they at the forefront of anything these days? Cameras and broadcast maybe?
Cameras/sensors for sure.

Sensors being the Pregius and Starvis2 industrial line.

And displays like Crystal LED

On the consumer audio side, not so much…

The ZA has some neat 360SS capability but the audioholics measurements were pretty lousy given what the old TA-N9000ES could do.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Cameras and broadcast maybe?
The people responsible for large broadcast procurements are pretty immune to BS, so the glossy material (which often does include hyperbole, but not snake oil) is largely irrelevant.

HoweSound

DSC01411_300x.jpg

This is what we all wanted when I was 10 or 11. The Sony 6 transistor was the pinnacle; all I had was an inferior 2 transistor knock-off - a pale imitation of the Sony.

They had stereo amps I coveted back in the late 70's and they produce top level cameras. I have the Sony RX 100 VII, with a 1" sensor, arguably the best small travel camera there is:

iu

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
can't reproduce it here but I have a mag from early 2000s that has a Sony blurb for SACD which includes the stair-step graphs and some 'gaps between the samples' stuff.

But I always liked the brand and have owned a fair amount of it. I still have maybe 5 or 6 units including a Trinitron monitor.

I also like that they've never given in to fashion and 'updated' their logo, unlike Pioneer.

Top Bottom