• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best phone currently on the market for DAP listening in tractor over the road

audiogeek

Hello all

I have decided that rather to pay Tidal or Qobuz a monthly fee and on top of that, purchase songs/albums I would rather load all of my CD collection, ripped on my laptop in FLAC format, on my phone.

What is the best phone currently on the market for use as a DAP? What I need is

1. Phone that will best play my FLAK files via blue tooth or 3.5mm hardwire to my radio(with aux jack) or portable blue tooth/3.5mm speaker.

2. As large a storage as possible with an option to add more storage.

My reasons are as follows

I am a CDL class A driver of tractor trailers. I am not an owner operator but have an assigned tractor with sleeper cab. Most of the tractors are 2018 or newer and have a radio/CD player with a 3.5mm aux jack. They all have 2 speakers up front and 2 in the sleeper area. Most of these systems sound pretty bad using the 3.5mm aux on the player so I bought a SOUNDBOKS GO to transport the music to play.

I tried an ION Pathfinder speaker for 100 bucks but the woofer started that scrunching sound with bass after 2 weeks (would only get worse) and bad battery life of 5 hours at max volume.

Switched to JBL Party Box 110 for 300 bucks but that also had bad battery life and also could not play loud enough plus it was rather large.

SOUNDBOKS GO has removable battery and charging. It was 700 bucks which included a free battery. This thing put the JBL Party box 110 to shame. (I could have tried the next level up Party Box but was already disappointed with JBL and none have removable battery)

Yes I know portable blue tooth speakers sound like I dont really enjoy music but in fact its the opposite. I am in my tractor 8-12 hours per day and love my jazz music. The portable speaker is needed in case my tractor breaks down and the assign me a new one. And it has to play reasonably loud for long periods of time. The newer tractors are much more refined now but cab silence is not the primary goal and its hard to hear the little details in the music without playing at louder volumes.

Now I dont like music to loud and am not a bass head (I dont listen to rap/hip hop) but I like to hear my jazz the way the artists intended.

So now that I have solved the speaker problem I want a phone that plays FLAK because as of now I am using Spotify and it is adequate for the most part (considering the atmosphere in in) but in many cases sounds really bad.

Any suggestions?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LG stopped making phones at end of 2021 but they had the best dac, Snapdragon, with the option to add up to 2 TB of storage, 3.5 mm socket and the V50 ThinQ supports 5G service. The good news is many carriers still have them for around $250-275. The go to phone for good sound if don't mind having a two year old phone.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have not bought your portable speaker I had this one it sounds great, plenty of bass and a 26 hour battery. good indoors and out.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I found getting a cel tel of a new model with a card slot was difficult to get and I got a new cel tel last week.

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

LG stopped making phones at end of 2021 but they had the best dac, Snapdragon, with the option to add up to 2 TB of storage, 3.5 mm socket and the V50 ThinQ supports 5G service. The good news is many carriers still have them for around $250-275. The go to phone for good sound if don't mind having a two year old phone.
I saw this option on an older thread here but some said its not good idea to purchase phone from a company that dont make phones anymore. May still be an option because I have never, in 10 plus years, had an android phone break/malfunction except when dropped hard.

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

If you have not bought your portable speaker I had this one it sounds great, plenty of bass and a 26 hour battery. good indoors and out.
I dont think you read my entire post I already have a speaker and it is the best option for my listening atmosphere. It is the SOUNDBOKS GO which I purchased 2 months ago when they were sellig it for 699.00 with an extra battery (150.00 value)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont think you read my entire post I already have a speaker and it is the best option for my listening atmosphere. It is the SOUNDBOKS GO which I purchased 2 months ago when they were sellig it for 699.00 with an extra battery (150.00 value)

Wasn't sure the Riva is screaming value with its sound and 26 hour battery $200

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw this option on an older thread here but some said its not good idea to purchase phone from a company that dont make phones anymore. May still be an option because I have never, in 10 plus years, had an android phone break/malfunction except when dropped hard.
Yes that's true but for $250 add a warranty.

Top Bottom