• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EverSolo Z8 DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 67 20.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 258 77.9%

• Total voters

Bleib

Major Contributor
Subjective review

delta76

Major Contributor
I'm not wanting to bring on the trolls - crikey I cannot understand what they are trying to achieve. A genuine review of a genuine product.

But I'll ask my question again but in a more general way - would this DAC benfit (and many others too) from using a quality Linear Power Supply. If yes, why?
I am pretty sure @amirm tested this with simply plugged it in an ordinary power outlet. Even if a quality Linear Power Supply helps to improve it (it does not), then any improvements are already out of audibility.

rozel

I doubt it would benefit from a quality linear supply. Any improvements in the dc output would be inaudible since the numbers are already great.
We need to stop this line of inquiry, as it's another snake oil point of sales. Lots of companies sell very expensive linear power supplies that offer no benefit to the end user, just profits to the manufacturer.

Amir, thanks for another review.

Thank you for a constructive response, much appreciated. This was and still is my own view but your knowledge far outweighs my own - cheers

rozel

I am pretty sure @amirm tested this with simply plugged it in an ordinary power outlet. Even if a quality Linear Power Supply helps to improve it (it does not), then any improvements are already out of audibility.

Thanks, again much appreciated.

prerich

It's got a mobile phone control app as well.

Quick google shows some colours on the vu meters on the display on some of the images and no colours on the display on some of the images! So I assume it's configurable?
Wow!!!!! Love it!!!! Bravo Zulu....well done!!!!!!!

MuadDib

Thanks amir for the review. And the M500 MK3 slightly loses to the Z8 when choosing a purchase ;)

uwotm8

Seems an amazing product for me. The only "meh" is HP power output but its behavior is perfect, I mean no issues with low impedance such as Verum 1 planar magnetic cans.
Just amazing.

Reactions: MGP

Yasuo

Gret. Performance + design. My latest obsession - huge OLED frontal display which allows skins and/or VU meters - it's almost like changing the "hardware" digitally...

BostonJack

Editor
Absolutely great stuff, sorry to be that party breaker, seeing this manufacturer just come out of the left field like that with such performance, makes me wonder how much of a matured and solved thing ESS reference design are at this point. Like, did anybody managed to really mess it up on a standard dac? Is it even possible if you just follow the instructions? Did we see any dac with that chip perform significantly less good. Are we at a point where just about anybody can do that and not achieving these number you would have to be really careless and incompetent? Just wondering, are there actual exemples?
I'm talking through my hat here (a bit, as I don't know the company): BUT, the reference designs are likely very performative if they are placed on PCBs with proper shielding, grounding, and signal integrity techniques which is an art form (almost). If the company's EE's are experienced in those areas with RF modems or similar equipment design experience and have proper lab instruments (RF spectrum analyzers, perhaps relectometers) and sophisticated signal integrity analysis software, then BINGO a good result is very likely.

RF design to high SNR requires care in layout, launch points, and component selection.

Given the high bus speeds of modern computer equipment, a lot of those considerations apply in that field.

TL;DR Signal integrity and board layout are a lot of the game and the tools and techniques are well known (but not cheap to apply).

heraldo_jones

Gorgeous design, great DAC performance ... an then that weak hp amp??????? :facepalm: I can't undeerstand.

Reactions: MGP

Veri

Master Contributor
Gorgeous design, great DAC performance ... an then that weak hp amp??????? :facepalm: I can't undeerstand.
Amp is just an add-on. It will just bottom out before clipping or distorting though so for sensitive headphones it will work, for greedy ones it will just not sound loud. No "bad" behaviour to be seen. Maybe you would expect more for the price though...

Reactions: MCH

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, one more wish: a spectrum analyzer in addition to VU meters! :)
With peak hold indicators and I replace my Topping D90SE

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be a bad device if it didn’t have a HP output?

Gio

Forum Donor

bkdc

Forum Donor
Wow. USB-C! LOL. The Z6 looks nice and my ears couldn’t tell the difference.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Do you have exemples of early ES9038 Pro implementations that did not extract top performance.
Here's one. A dual chipped one no less ....

Veri

Master Contributor
Here's one. A dual chipped one no less ....
Ahh yes the infamous Weiliang ;)

Top Bottom