• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 27.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 344 66.0%

• Total voters

RDaneel2

Thanks, Nutul - but this is what I had already gotten to, although I maintained that the final BETA release somehow affected this, and I said I wasn't happy with it - until the 2.50 release, which made everything good again (sure, maybe I had messed up on the level-matching?).

However, I am a bit surprised at how insistent folks here are on the "they should sound the same etc" statements - although this is Amir's site, and it does have "Science" in the name - but it also mentions "Happy members who like to discuss audio". :)

Along those lines, it seems to me there are various ways a streaming player could mess up the output PCM signal, which it is after all synthesizing from information in a stream of bits... I mean, just consider the different work it needs to perform when handling say, lossy formats, FLAC, or DSD - all of these must be used to construct a properly formatted and timed PCM signal on the outputs (digital coax in my case, so yes, the timing does matter). Or if not technically "wrong", different implementation choices can be made.

Anyway, my question(s) were primarily about all the cool things that the DMP-A6 does visually, and whether I can expect any of this with streaming services, Apple Music in particular?

Nutul

Along those lines, it seems to me there are various ways a streaming player could mess up the output PCM signal, which it is after all synthesizing from information in a stream of bits... I mean, just consider the different work it needs to perform when handling say, lossy formats, FLAC, or DSD - all of these must be used to construct a properly formatted and timed PCM signal on the outputs (digital coax in my case, so yes, the timing does matter). Or if not technically "wrong", different implementation choices can be made.
Codecs take care of these bits. And then stream them out. There is no "your implementation" vs "my implementation".
A lossy format and a lossless one appear equal to the DAC (as data-stream I mean), of course the former carries less information than the latter, but this the DAC doesn't know, and simply plays the stream of bits as-is. This is basically the principle why two streamers cannot sound different.

RDaneel2

I didn't say that the DAC has anything to do with this - and we already agreed that we are talking about the streaming transport case - but I did bring up the fact(?) that the job of generating a protocol-observant and properly timed PCM signal [which will eventually find its way to a DAC] from a range of differently formatted bit streams may in fact have some "wiggle room" on how it is precisely implemented.

We are NOT talking about DACs here, but their use presents a prime example where the actual implementation is crucial in deciding things like the overall quality of the audio component, and even how it will sound - if we can mention things like that here - the DAC chipset is only a piece of the eventual performance, the actual circuitry, the other supporting elements selected (because it is a choice) and even things like the DAC's operating modes and programming - all of these contribute to the final product.

... and can anyone say anything about my question regarding the lack of a visual presentation of any kind with Apple Music on the Eversolo DMP-A6? :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Anything untoward would be evident in the components measurements which are taken at its outputs.
Keith

shion_ca

Comparing them as bare streaming transports should normally reveal no difference, as the data is not altered.
TBH the only differences you'd hear should be only in terms of noise and/or distortion... not at all in terms of bass/treble/sounstage and bla bla bla... unless they have some DSP active and applied BEFORE the data goes out to the DAC. This is what transports areand how they work.
EDIT
You should be happy to not be able to tell the difference: this means both transfer the data correctly with no alteration (or at least with the same alteration, but I'd stick with the no)
In some digital formats the source clocks. There could potentially be differences in how upsampling is done or digital volume attenation

Nutul

In some digital formats the source clocks. There could potentially be differences in how upsampling is done or digital volume attenation
We were talking plain transports, not volume attenuation.
reclocking is done in the DAC for all UAC2.0compliant devices.
Resampling is also done (once more, eventually) in the DAC.

ThatGuyYouKnow

However, I am a bit surprised at how insistent folks here are on the "they should sound the same etc" statements - although this is Amir's site, and it does have "Science" in the name - but it also mentions "Happy members who like to discuss audio". :)
Discuss away, but there is the concern of paralysis by analysis. Audio transport and processing is such a solved aspect at this point that only some of the weirdly designed components are liable to do anything to undesirably alter the signal. It is the least concerning factor in the audio chain.

sbronf

Hi, sorry if I ask a question that has already been answered but the thread is very long to read through. I wanted to ask if, using an external dac with an eversolo streamer, are the 3 models equivalent (a6, a6 mastrr edition and a8, ?) or for example is the a6 Master Edition better than the a6 even if used only as a streamer? Thank you

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They all sound the same as streamers and through their analogue outputs.
Keith

sbronf

Thank you for reply! Also through analog output? And so what are the differences?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
In terms of sound quality none, but the A-8 has the analogue ‘in’ and it is a proper preamp.
Keith

sbronf

Ahh ok ok, i don't need them, i can save some money! Now i have a nuc with roon rock and an external dac, but i d like to have something nicer to look at :D

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just looking for only a streamer? Give this one a chance :cool:. Your money is very welcome.
If You should decide otherwise: the eversolos are working flawless and worth the money ... believe in Keith:)

Nutul

Just looking for only a streamer? Give this one a chance :cool:. Your money is very welcome.
If You should decide otherwise: the eversolos are working flawless and worth the money ... believe in Keith:)
Quoting from the product description:
Technically jitter is the delay between a signal transmitted and received. This delay has a negative impact for real-time applications in the 2.16 ultra. The standard solution to compensate for jitter is a buffer that stores data before it is processed, like a few seconds of an audio file. This will smooth out the playback of the file. While buffering is an effective bypass to compensate jitter it unfortunately has a negative effect on the musical and dynamic capabilities of the 2.16 ultra. Instead of using a relative coarse solution as buffering we decide to use the Ultra OCXO which reduces the jitter to an absolute minimum. This resulted in an extremely low latency but fast and dynamic playback system.
1. Jitter is not that
2. it has no impact on real-time applications, it eventually distorts your music (but what levels of jitter are we talking about to get there?!?). Although we can think of music as a real-time application.
3. with UAC2.0 this automatically goes out of scope, as the receiving device buffers the data anyway, and also re-clocks it.
4. buffering the data and properly re-clocking it has no degradation of dynamics; on the contrary: it maintains them, if not even enhances it.

The device looks attractive, and probably is also performing. It's a pity they put this whole bunch of well-written BS. I was literally feeling my knowledge being ridiculed by such statements.

Then, again, about the performance of the unit I cannot speak. It may be a wonderful device; just its description makes it look like "something special had to be said in order to justify its price" (BTW, no price on the site, only available by contacting the company or a dealer has only a meaning to me: it is a very high price...)

Not impressed by the marketing strategy. A bit ashamed about the "technical" description... what to say: I would recommend a Mola Mola Tambaqui instead of this unit.
But that's me.

P.S.
Not wanting to discredit anything or anyone; just drawing my conclusions after having read how the manufacturer describes the technology involved...

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1. Jitter is not that
2. it has no impact on real-time applications, it eventually distorts your music (but what levels of jitter are we talking about to get there?!?). Although we can think of music as a real-time application.
3. with UAC2.0 this automatically goes out of scope, as the receiving device buffers the data anyway, and also re-clocks it.
4. buffering the data and properly re-clocking it has no degradation of dynamics; on the contrary: it maintains them, if not even enhances it.

The device looks attractive, and probably is also performing. It's a pity they put this whole bunch of well-written BS. I was literally feeling my knowledge being ridiculed by such statements.

Then, again, about the performance of the unit I cannot speak. It may be a wonderful device; just its description makes it look like "something special had to be said in order to justify its price" (BTW, no price on the site, only available by contacting the company or a dealer has only a meaning to me: it is a very high price...)

Not impressed by the marketing strategy. A bit ashamed about the "technical" description... what to say: I would recommend a Mola Mola Tambaqui instead of this unit.
But that's me.

P.S.
Not wanting to discredit anything or anyone; just drawing my conclusions after having read how the manufacturer describes the technology involved...
Appreciate Your effort, Your're completely right, as it is a snake oil link, :cool:
;)

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I will see your ‘pink faun’ and raise you the ‘Taiko extreme’,

Neither of these are going to sound any different from a Wiim Pro, but no one is going to pay £30k for a lightweight plastic box are they!
Keith

Werther44210

I will see your ‘pink faun’ and raise you the ‘Taiko extreme’,

Neither of these are going to sound any different from a Wiim Pro, but no one is going to pay £30k for a lightweight plastic box are they!
Keith
Streamers at €20,000 or €30,000 (thank you for the information), the A8 seems to be disrupting the market for €3,000 to €4,000 streamers like Lumin or Matrix, and the feedback on this device is good, scaring off the brands that were in this segment.

jiji

I'm using A6 directly to AMP (Volume bypassed amp), and hence use the digital preamp/Volume control in A6.
Will an Analog preamp will be sounding better? Will an separate Analogue pre amp like topping Pre90 would be better than the built in A6 digital preamp?
What's the difference between an Analog and digital pre amp in short?
I use fully digital media for my listening.

Top Bottom