• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 341 66.1%

• Total voters

Nutul

Sadly, especially after my enthusiastic support of the "2.40" BETA release of the DMP-A6 firmware, I am unhappy with the "2.44" version. :(

While there is an obvious (and inadvertent?) change with the DSD handling - I now can't use DoP64 whereas I was required to previously - the issue is, unlike the previous BETA, the SQ has gone backwards... putting it simply (and unscientifically), listening to music with the DMP-A6 is no longer "fun".

Worse, I found that the A6 is one of the devices that blocks you from reverting and re-installing a previous firmware version... does anyone know of a way that I can perform some sort of "reset" back to the factory firmware level and then I could re-apply the "2.40" BETA?

If this is possible, I could at least consider this device as part of my setup - I was, after all, quite happy with it when running the previous BETA... otherwise, my WiiM Pro is back to being the better choice and I would return the DMP-A6.
I do agree that yours is somehow an unpleasant situation; nevertheless, installing Beta releases are always installed AYOR, and afterwards complaints about broken functionalities are basically to be ignored, as known to be possible, if not even expected...
I would say that, since Beta's are meant to test / fix functionalities, sooner or later these introduced issues will be fixed by a newer Beta... just be patient; I see the development is active.

mirror88

Audio Company
Forum Donor
2.44 does not have any changes that may affect the sound quality. Maybe turning on the Replay gain function outputs a different level than the previous firmware, affecting the listening experience?
Usually when encounter unexplained problems, trying to factory reset is an option

octavius

I have turned off replay gain. It sounds boring with replay gain.

Nutul

I have turned off replay gain. It sounds boring with replay gain.
It may depend on your file tagging; you can say almost everything about replay gain, but I am not so sure "boring" can be something you'd use to describe it...
It simply regulates the volume of the tracks... you may want to try and rise you volume a bit, eventually.
I do not use RG, as I am more of a one-album, rather than a messy-playlist, guy; but tried it, and it does its job; since there is no magic in it, no big issues as well.

octavius

I'm just tested RG but I stay without this feature :)

yllanos

Then how could I get it if it didn't come by the air?
Get it from here:

Put it on a USB drive and update offline.

jiji

I tried to use the PEQ functions with DMP A6 beta version, but it seems to be no changes happened .
First i measured with rew both L&R speakers combined without any PEQ. I can see 3 big bumps in 45, 73 and 92 Hz in the raw measurements.
For testing purpose i only took 45 Hz bump(approx 10 db peak with approx 4 Q). So i reduced the gain approx -10 first to check what happens.
But after measuring, it didn't change at all and the measurements overlays very similar with raw.
I have tried 3 freq yesterday night and no change with PEQ in my REW verification.
What is happening? Am I doing some thing wrong? Did anyone tried the PEQ function if it is working?

This weekend i will attach some plots.
But please share your results if anyone measured it or can confirm PEQ is working :)

CJW

I tried to use the PEQ functions with DMP A6 beta version, but it seems to be no changes happened .
First i measured with rew both L&R speakers combined without any PEQ. I can see 3 big bumps in 45, 73 and 92 Hz in the raw measurements.
For testing purpose i only took 45 Hz bump(approx 10 db peak with approx 4 Q). So i reduced the gain approx -10 first to check what happens.
But after measuring, it didn't change at all and the measurements overlays very similar with raw.
I have tried 3 freq yesterday night and no change with PEQ in my REW verification.
What is happening? Am I doing some thing wrong? Did anyone tried the PEQ function if it is working?

This weekend i will attach some plots.
But please share your results if anyone measured it or can confirm PEQ is working :)
EQ and PEQ only work for music played via the internal apps. Are you using an internal app when doing your tests?

jiji

EQ and PEQ only work for music played via the internal apps. Are you using an internal app when doing your tests?
yes, i understood today while doing some test. I'm using USB c input in DMP A6 through my PC to sweep using REW. May be I need a sweep audio file to play using internal player? Don't know ....need to think a bit..Any other ideas?
Its difficult to verify the PEQ as of now. May be in future we will have PEQ in USB input as well to verify using some sweeps from PC? who knows.
Some how i managed to reduce 3 big bumps by adjusting the Q and gain using rew filters, but cannot get a flat curve (30 to 200 Hz). For that we might need some import fuctions or sweep verification possibility.
This PEQ having a great potential , but bit more like REW filter import would be a game changer.

Spyerx

Just was pushed latest firmware. So been using this now for a couple months in my office. (older bat vk300xse amp, harbeth p3esr xd speakers)
Apple Music high rez
qobuz
2000+ cds ripped in alac on internal ssd
sirius xm
bbc streaming
tune in radio
and more

its super easy to use and the software just keeps getting better. And sounds fantastic. As good as any of my other digital sources.

just ordered another one for my main system.

will replace a Mac Mini and benchmark dac3b as digital source.

jiji

FInlly managed to PEQ DMP A6 using RTA in rew and got really satisfactory results.
Damn cool as i managed to eq below 500 HZ and even bit more.
Green is no PEQ and magenta is PEQ using 10 band.
It took some time , but very useful.
SPL is absolute SPL values, just concentrate on EQ.

1706956069492.png

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am pleased you have the EQ working just be aware that a very ‘horizontal’ target can sound a bit thin, I find a bit more bass and a tiny bit less treble.
Keith

Nutul

I am pleased you have the EQ working just be aware that a very ‘horizontal’ target can sound a bit thin, I find a bit more bass and a tiny bit less treble.
Keith
To see the slope in its entirety would be nice to see how the curve evolves above 1KHz. To me looks nice, assuming it's beginning to descend as it looks like...

Leeken

Does the a6 allow you to eq each channel,or is it just for both?
can you do seperate eq for each output?

Nutul

Does the a6 allow you to eq each channel,or is it just for both?
can you do seperate eq for each output?
I don't think it does, but... how would you EQ just one speaker... is your room so irregular in shape?!?

Leeken

I don't think it does, but... how would you EQ just one speaker... is your room so irregular in shape?!?
My Rme allows each channel and output to be eq’d separately,knocked through kitchen /dinner off to one side,so effectively a large L shape Which gives a nice suck out in bass.
Was considering replacing my Rme with it,but then I’d still need a head amp,at which point I’d probably be better off just keeping my Rme and Wiim,that touch screen is so nice tho

Top Bottom