• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 4.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 343 66.1%

• Total voters

Simba2585

It's been a long while since I've owned either of those pieces but my recollection is that the HT bypass mode to use as a power amp requires holding down the P.Direct button for a couple of seconds to make the RCA inputs for P.Direct be just a passthrough. That would imply you could connect the DMP-A6 using XLR to the PM11S3 XLR input and simple change to that input to use it as an integrated amp. The A6 can be set to fixed volume so that you'd only use the volume on the PM11S3 whenever using the A6 via XLR.

Now what I really cannot recall is whether or not putting the PM11S3 in HT bypass mode will make changing inputs impossible. I remember that only the one set of RCA inputs could be used for the HT bypass mode (which annoyed me since it has an XLR input) so you can just try it and keep all volume knobs turned all the way down. Heck, maybe even disconnect speakers just to see if the switching on the PM11S3 is seamless from XLR (int amp mode) to RCA (HT bypass mode).
Interested to know your thoughts on the pm11s3 and what you made of it during ownership.

I absolutely love it, prized piece in my setup...not the same opinion of the AV8802A though lol.

Burki

You probably need to down sample to DSD64 in Roon if you want to use HDMI out of the A6. Can you play them back through Roon to the A6 using the XLR outputs of the A6?
No, for the test I've used only DSD64 sources.
The next problem is, that I'll get from 4.0, 5.1 and 7.1 sources every time (with local player and Roon for flac and DSD) 5.0 as output.
For me it seems, that EDID is not working correctly. The support tells me, that they've changed the handling in the last firmware, but it works for me not in a perfect way.
Otherwise the app shows the correct capabilities.
I'm not interested in the analogue sterei output, because for this I'm owning some lot better streamer/dacs...

There are also a lot of other bugs (showing wrong covers, reboot/boot handling, remote control,...) and so I'm thinking about returning the DMP-A6 and using for multichannel PCM, dts and DD further my Rock mini pc as Roon endpoint.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think you meant to write ‘more expensive’ streamer/dacs.
Keith

Burki

I think you meant to write ‘more expensive’ streamer/dacs.
Keith
No, essential for a good streamer is the firmware and support.
This can you see e.g. for Lumin, Naim, MA, Ropieee,...
On the other side there are brands like Rose, Primare,...

Dan31620

Hi,
What do you think of Hifi Rose rs250a vs the Eversolo?
I bought the Dmp-a6 and I'm waiting for it.
I can buy a Rose rs250a for 2100€ here...
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 62005

I got the DMP-6A this afternoon and updated to latest FW. Mostly setup, but had a few issues with Apple Music and setting up the streaming services. And how the non-native streaming apps are supported on the Eversolo remote control app. And some functions on the remote app itself hang/discnnect- might be just be my expectations or not doing something right. Details below, if intersted.

1) Apple app: Apple Music app on the unit apparently does not support the new HW security keys when signing into AppleID/Cloud. I had to remove my HW keys from my Apple account to get the 6 digit code. Not surprised of lack of HW key support, since I have noticed across sites like PayPal and banks all implement it differently- some bad/some good. I guess I tested AppleID security- no one is going to login into my AppleID on this unit. LOL. So hopefully just a one time PIA. I should only have to sign-in once, since AppleID logon was intact after a test reboot of unit. I did get Apple Music to stream hi-res audio. And tested the Airplay2 function- as expected the unit showed AAC 44.1hz. Over all a clunky Apple interface as had been noted already, but it does work. Better than no support at all, as is typical on streamers.
ISSUE SOLVED: Android V11 ( probably all) does not support HW keys for AppleID. Duh. It was like logging on to a non-Apple device (or an older Apple device) without the support of HW key for AppleID.

2) Native streaming apps all seem to work well, logon as expecte and good display of music selections on the remote control app.

3 )Non-native apps like Amazon Music and Apple Music don't seemed to be supported well on the remote app. Maybe I am doing something wrong still, but I always had to cast to the unit to really control the streaming source. I can not invoke from the remote app (see below comment). All I get on the remote control app is an option to start/stop, data rate. volume and skip tracks. The selection of music is not displayed- like a typical remote. Guess I was expecting at least the music title and a list of next selections. This is my first streamer so all is new to me, so may be working as designed. Any comments/help would be appreciated. Thanks

3) Misc issues/observations
When I use the remote control app, I see a list of music services- Tidal,Qobus, Highresaudio. However, when I click I just get a spinning icon. Never stops. I did cast to the unit and logon the apps there, it seems to work for my test streams-Tidal/Qobus. But if you go back to the app again, and try to use the remote app streaming options, I still get the spining icon. I have no idea why, so far. I did a reboot of the phone/unit and nothing changed.
ISSUE SOLVED: The Apple Private Relay (a built-in Apple VPN-like with function similar to a double VPN). Apparently the iPhone remote app with Private Really active was blocking the network traffic enough the DMP-6A could not connect. First time ever I have an issue with an app or website using Private Relay. The workaround is to turnoff "Limit IP ADDRESS TRACKING." What was really odd, I could control the unit with Private Relay active (for example, I updated the FW, customized the unit vis the cast function), but the native apps were totally blocked. I suppose if I want to keep network security high, I will need a 2nd iPhone just for the remote app without Private Relay. I will have to evaluate the longer term risk, but most folks runs without an VPN. Ok with it for now.

I have gotten a few remote apps. disconnects- more of an annoyance, since it always so far has allowed reconnect. Probably some time pop, but not sure. Otherwise my home network and iPhone 14 Pro Max has been a stable network.
ISSUE BETTER UDERSTOOD: The disconnect/reconnect message seems so far to only happen when I am casting into the unit. When the iPhone display (30 seconds) for me times out, you have to reconnect to the cast unit. Only workaround is to change the timeout of the display higher time or keep clicking the phone to keep it active. However, that has some potentially serious security issues if sone one can access your phone esp in public. Google Apple security issues in WSJ, Macrumors, etc. Apple has responded and basically just said don't leave you phone ever alone nor type your phone password in public areas and to reduce the risk set the lockout/display to 30 secs. Really, that is about it. PIA again, but the reconnect is quick and you don't seem to lose any current actions. Also, the disconnect does not stop any playing music

The unit runs relatively cool- nice. Also, it build quality is as good as everyone has noted. Again- very nice.

I updated this post with most (if not all issues resolved). They were related to my hardened iPhone for privacy/security. The only thing that is kinda disappointing is the remote control function of the app for non-native apps like Amazon Music/Apple Music. Not sure is this can be improved. The workaround: Use Tidal/Qobus in US. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

multisport4me

No, for the test I've used only DSD64 sources.
The next problem is, that I'll get from 4.0, 5.1 and 7.1 sources every time (with local player and Roon for flac and DSD) 5.0 as output.
For me it seems, that EDID is not working correctly. The support tells me, that they've changed the handling in the last firmware, but it works for me not in a perfect way.
Otherwise the app shows the correct capabilities.
I'm not interested in the analogue sterei output, because for this I'm owning some lot better streamer/dacs...

There are also a lot of other bugs (showing wrong covers, reboot/boot handling, remote control,...) and so I'm thinking about returning the DMP-A6 and using for multichannel PCM, dts and DD further my Rock mini pc as Roon endpoint.

I can confirm the album cover issue. I had that happen earlier today - it kept displaying a previous album cover yet the song title and other info changed correctly each time I played a new song. But the album art remained the same. I rebooted it and its been fine since. So definitely a wrinkle they should be able to fix.

Regarding DSD64 issues, I agree you may have EDID issues. What is your A6 connected to again via HDMI? I'm pretty sure the Eversolo puts out a 1080p blank video screen as that is the resolution my Marantz AV10 sees. But so far my AV10 has correctly seen whatever I have thrown at it as far as PCM and DSD64. That said, I have a Rock NUC that I built in a fanless case and it performs very well with HDMI Audio. However, it does not pass DSD that I know of - or at least with my NUC11 - there might be some NUCs that can. But not mine.

I've had no such rebooting, remote issues at all - the unit is very stable. Despite not wanting to keep it as a DAC, maybe you can use it that way just to see if it improves stability? If there are EDID issues I suppose it could make the A6 wig out a bit. I'm guessing @mirror88 may be able to help you and maybe they have a way to check EDID from the source side and see what it thinks the sink is seeing. I hope you get things sorted out - I bringing up issues (or my issues in most cases, like the Cast feature and DSD64 limitation) but I absolutely think this is the AV steal of the year. Very enjoyable product and based on the recent firmware drop, I think it will just get better and very quickly -they got a lot of great press and have put themselves on the map - I believe they'll work hard to stay there.

multisport4me

Interested to know your thoughts on the pm11s3 and what you made of it during ownership.

I absolutely love it, prized piece in my setup...not the same opinion of the AV8802A though lol.

Yea, I've owned all of the 880x series and its not even in the same league as the AV10 IMO. But I am a huge Denon/Marantz guy and the 880x was their flagship until recently.

As far as the PM11S3 - its was a very nice piece and I don't recall much that I didn't like. I just got upgraditus when the PM10 came out so I went that route for a while. I found the PM10 to be a bit more, clinical and the PM11S3 to be more relaxed. But I have to say, I hate all that mumbo jumbo with subjective reviews - they were both nice and very expensive integrated amps. I went with NC400 and then NC500OEM based amps for a while then moved to AMP10s for the moment....although I may end up building a 3-channel NCx500 for LCR. As you can see by Amir's reviews up there, the Hypex stuff has really made major strides. It's hard for me not to want to try some of these new toys. :)

Back to the Eversolo DMP-A6. I still haven't logged into Tidal or Qobuz yet so maybe tonight I'll get around to that. I'm curious to see how that user experience is. I'll likely still just keeping Roon for all of that but the A6 UX and app deserve some attention as I'm sure there are more than a few folks that just want something standlone and don't want or need Roon.

multisport4me

A brief updated review.

1. Most of my issues were self-inflicted.
2. This is just a beautiful Roon player - hard stop. If you are a Roon user, you have to consider buying one of these things. It looks good and sounds fantastic.
3. The Cast feature in the A6 control app (iOS, Android app) is indeed very cool. Not only can I see the A6 touchscreen on my iPad but I also then mirror'd my iPad to my 65" TV. Even on that, the screen still looks very nice. In fact, it looks pretty cool to leave up there with album art if you have people over and want your TV to show off your system and what is playing, etc.
4. I have things set up very nicely now. I have the A6 XLR output as one of the inputs to my AV10. A second AV10 input connected via the A6 HDMI output. Then a third HDMI from my Roon Rock PC. I have grouped the XLR and Rock HDMI into one group in Roon so I can easily pop between the inputs on the AV10 and the cover art, etc. all remain on the A6 screen (or casted and recasted if you'd like). Changing to the A6 HDMI output is a bit of a hassle as you have to go into the app or touchscreen to change the output. I wish I could just leave the outputs I want to use always-on on the A6 similar to how we can now have both RCA/XLR outputs on at the same time. But I'm not sure if this is possible. Minor quible since I'm going with the HDMI out of my Roon Rock grouped with the DAC XLR output of the A6 for my main listening experiences.
5. The Cast feature definitely makes using the Apple Music app tolerable and the A6 does in fact output 24/192 lossless if you can find songs to play on Apple Music. I ended up searching the Apple app for "hi res 24/192" and found a few lists created by other users. There I found numerous tracks that did in fact play 24/192 - which for the A6 is very cool and better than Apple can do with their own products. Bravo. Sadly, with my quest to get actual 24/192 lossless music out of my Apple Music service now completed thanks to Eversolo, I will likely use Roon for just about all of my listening. I have tons downloaded and still have active Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions and there aren't too many albums that Apple Music has that would make me want to use that app all the time. I'll keep the Apple Music limited to my AppleTV for Atmos tracks and that is about it. But kudos to Eversolo on their audio engine!

Other than the cover art issue someone had above (and I confirmed that I experienced once), this is a very nice piece of kit for the money. Even the Master price is a bargain (albeit, unneccesary) compared to the much more expensive streamers out there. I have nothing against Rose and the other pricey guys - I never heard them because I'd never pay $2500-$5000 for a streamer. I just know that Eversolo has brought very high performance to the masses and for a very attractive price for either version of the A6 and for those of you excited to review yours whenever it arrives....you should be excited. It's a keeper.

Burki

Hi,
What do you think of Hifi Rose rs250a vs the Eversolo?
I bought the Dmp-a6 and I'm waiting for it.
I can buy a Rose rs250a for 2100€ here...
Thanks.

I'm using the RS250 together with an external DAC and headphone amps as a small system for some cans.
Compared to the eversolo, the build quality is a bit better, the display much bigger, you've a (bluetooth) remote and you can also use it as a simple video player.
The HDMI out puts here directly the display data out or/and you can use it (bypassing) for multiple audio formats.
You can put in a SSD, but (through SMB) the transfer rate is very low (better using ftp) and the internal player uses playlists, which I don't like so much.
As stereo Roon endpoint it's very stable, but without Roon, it's a pain to use it (also no DLNA client is implemented).

The eversolo uses a newer android (7.1 <--> 10) and can handle multichannel audio through HDMI (also in using Roon), the internal SSD has much better transfer rates.
But also here the internal audio player is far away from perfect, if you've a larger music collection. Otherwise you can use it a DLNA client.

D

Deleted member 62005

Will resolve it in next firmware.
Hi, just to be clear, this is the app screen showing what looks like a slow turning 45prm record? I get the same interface for both Apple Music ad Amazon Music when I exit the cast mode and back to the remote app.

If yes, yeah! If not, can you turn the 45 faster? JK.

D

Deleted member 62005

Now that I have pretty much at a high level tested the DMP-6A, it performs most things very well. The native streaming services are top notch and the apps are fully functional, just not the elegance/smoothness of the built-in services. But it plays music with just a few hours of fussing with it and most of that time was working pass my iPhone network/security configuration. And install/loading server musics services trials.

Since I plan to use a streamer at lest initially only as a digital transport with an external DAC, there two elephants in the room- one large and one small. Also, I don't really need a music server for files management or multi-room support.

Small Elephant #1: The WiiM Pro. Since I will not be using the Pro's DAC and it supposedly has a good app interface for streaming contro and I could live with it current limited music streaming services, it is the winner for low cost. And even the optical vs no USB output is not a showstoppe- but I prefer USB.. Money is not the key driver, but def a consideration, since we really don't know the long term support/life of any HW streamer today- expensive or low cost. And it would be easier $$ wise to upgrade in a few years and just give away a $150 box vs closer to $900 unit.

Big Elephant #2: Headless Mac mini M2 with Roon and USB output. Def not the cheapest long term and it will probably take more than a few hours to config and customize, but long term support issues seems muc less risk. Or so I think. I will probably never use Roon Core 's file/mulit-room, since, I don't have a collection for downloaded files do not need the multi-room capability of the Roon in a small townhome. Maybe some Roon SW competitors, but it just seems Roon is a good design and lots of support.

Any comments? Critical or otherwise. And missing any key considerations?

Leaning toward just going with the DMP-6A.

Thanks

emigabi

Would be curious how The Master edition will compare with this as they say it has extra noise reduction/filters.
Screenshot_20230524_065907.jpg

Burki

So, I've decided to return my DMP-A6.
HDMI is not working stable with my Emotiva XMC-1 (I've really tried everything and I'm not a newbee) and there are also other things, that I don't like...
For DSD (multichannel upto DSD256 and stereo DSD512) I've my exaSound DAC and for dts or DD-files now I'm using again my Zotac Mini-PC with Rock, which had never any problems in outputting the multichannel sources in a correct way.

auronthas

fantastic measurement and review. Want to know more about DMP A6 . I have ROCK (Intel NUC), my local music library (external SSD) is connected to ROCK via USB. Will DMP A6 has music scan search to locate this library or need to input the IP address of ROCK then music folder?

1) Understand Tidal is built-in. Can Tidal apps or Tidal Connect sense DMP-A6 ?
2) Spotify - 3rd party ? Need to install apk file? Can Spotify Connect detect DMP-A6?

Last edited:

Arcticpollen

fantastic measurement and review. Want to know more about DMP A6 . I have ROCK (Intel NUC), my local music library (external SSD) is connected to ROCK via USB. Will DMP A6 has music scan search to locate this library or need to input the IP address of ROCK then music folder?

1) Understand Tidal is built-in. Can Tidal apps or Tidal Connect sense DMP-A6 ?
2) Spotify - 3rd party ? Need to install apk file? Can Spotify Connect detect DMP-A6?
If you already have Roon Rock running, the DMP is Roon Ready, just needs enabling within Roon.

I don't use Tidal but I think others who have tried it, have said it works well.

Spotify Android app is built in - works well for Spotify Connect and by driving it on the DMP's own touch screen.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Now that I have pretty much at a high level tested the DMP-6A, it performs most things very well. The native streaming services are top notch and the apps are fully functional, just not the elegance/smoothness of the built-in services. But it plays music with just a few hours of fussing with it and most of that time was working pass my iPhone network/security configuration. And install/loading server musics services trials.

Since I plan to use a streamer at lest initially only as a digital transport with an external DAC, there two elephants in the room- one large and one small. Also, I don't really need a music server for files management or multi-room support.

Small Elephant #1: The WiiM Pro. Since I will not be using the Pro's DAC and it supposedly has a good app interface for streaming contro and I could live with it current limited music streaming services, it is the winner for low cost. And even the optical vs no USB output is not a showstoppe- but I prefer USB.. Money is not the key driver, but def a consideration, since we really don't know the long term support/life of any HW streamer today- expensive or low cost. And it would be easier $$ wise to upgrade in a few years and just give away a $150 box vs closer to $900 unit.

Big Elephant #2: Headless Mac mini M2 with Roon and USB output. Def not the cheapest long term and it will probably take more than a few hours to config and customize, but long term support issues seems muc less risk. Or so I think. I will probably never use Roon Core 's file/mulit-room, since, I don't have a collection for downloaded files do not need the multi-room capability of the Roon in a small townhome. Maybe some Roon SW competitors, but it just seems Roon is a good design and lots of support.

Any comments? Critical or otherwise. And missing any key considerations?

Leaning toward just going with the DMP-6A.

Thanks
Only that when Roon was introduced I remember thinking ‘so what’ but it has turned out to be easily the most stable, useful and enjoyable playback that I have used and I have tried most going back to Amarra.
I don’t believe for a moment the DMP will improve upon SQ, so you have to decide upon features/budget and future case use, not much help, sorry.
Keith

auronthas

If you already have Roon Rock running, the DMP is Roon Ready, just needs enabling within Roon.

I don't use Tidal but I think others who have tried it, have said it works well.

Spotify Android app is built in - works well for Spotify Connect and by driving it on the DMP's own touch screen.
Cool, still indecisive between DMP-A6 or DAC Z8 as I have owned a display screen music streamer (but no USB output)

Arcticpollen

Cool, still indecisive between DMP-A6 or DAC Z8
Everyone has their own use case - the Z8 has the benefit of headphone output but no built in streaming apps so horses for courses I guess. The lack of a headphone stage is not important to me as the DMP is sat on my home office desk. I have a Qudelix 5K that I can hook up to the DMP via USB if I feel the need.

Top Bottom