• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 340 65.9%

• Total voters

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I believe the masters I hear when listening to Qobuz are equal to or superior to the old CD copies I have in my library. I consider Qobuz an increase in fidelity over my old rips (in most cases).

There are plenty of CDs with a way better DR then what is currently on qobuz.
Not to mention different versions of tracks.

The David Bowie stuff released in the 80s on RCA and Ryoku CDs is not the same music that is currently on Streaming services.

And even as someone that has Qobuz and Tidal there is plenty of stuff that I'm not able to stream or buy digital online.
So I went back to importing and ripping CDs.

It all depends to what you listen and if you care for different versions of tracks but streaming services currently are not a replacement yet.

JktHifi

This streamer reminds me of the Fiio R7 but in a different form factor... And without a headphone amp.

Both look nice to me, but I'm not sold to the idea of having another Android device with maybe no updates in some more years.
Interesting, FPGA (Fiio) vs XMOS (Eversolo)

ThatGuyYouKnow

This streamer reminds me of the Fiio R7 but in a different form factor... And without a headphone amp.
Agreed. I would have bought the R7, but its inputs cannot be routed to the digital outputs. That's why I asked Amir if the DMP-A6 offers this function, but it seems nobody has tested it yet.

kopczas

I consider Qobuz an increase in fidelity over my old rips (in most cases).
Streaming services always use most recent (re)masters which for me is unacceptable. I find most of modern remasters of old tracks unlistenable ( in terms of compression, loudness, V shape EQ which fits for most standard listeners).
If you`re talking about rip quality itself, try to rip any CD with EAC. It`s probably most advanced tool to copy data with 100% accuracy. Perfect quality rip.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Streaming services always use most recent (re)masters which for me is unacceptable. I find most of modern remasters of old tracks unlistenable ( in terms of compression, loudness, V shape EQ which fits for most standard listeners).
If you`re talking about rip quality itself, try to rip any CD with EAC. It`s probably most advanced tool to copy data with 100% accuracy. Perfect quality rip.
Not so sure tough, the worst era of the loudness war was probably between 2005-2010, most CDs from that period almost all are unlistenable for me. Also, the very old one, late eighties, are also quite bad the conversion then left a lot of artefacts, audible to me and the mastering process was still trial and error. I feel the most recent remasters are a bit more sensible in term of dynamics. Probably still too loud but it's been way worst in the past. Everything beside that is hit and miss. Still I find pleasure in listening vinyl records. To my ears there are many master's in that formats that where really really good, but it won't get much love here due to the obvious measurable limitations of the format itself.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Better masters ? Different versions of tracks? Exclusive bonus tracks? Stuff that isn't even available on Streaming services at all?

This is really something on ASR that is a bit concerning. Sinad numbers are important .
Everything needs to be absolutely perfect without distortion etc.. but lots of people don't seem to care about the music.. might as well just listen to whatever is on YouTube or Spotify right?
Don’t be silly.
Keith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Because fake representations on an LCD screen of a 3 dimensional analogue moving coil meter, especially one as badly done as the picture you showed, just look beyond cheap and tacky.
It looks hugely luxurious in person. In contrast, those large VU meters on power amps were a) inaccurate and b) lazy as heck and hardly ever moved.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So the streamer and the source (PC, phone) have to be on the same wifi or ethernet network for this to work?
I don't know the discovery protocol in Roon to know if it is compatible with network bridging. That is, the endpoint needs to advertise its existence for the server to connect to it. Certain routers may not work as people found out with Sonos which uses their own protocol in this regard. So in general yes, you should use the same network.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I rip with. Many of the CD's I ripped were from the late LP era when they were horribly (to my taste) mastered. Shrill and unlistenable on high end modern equipment. I'm happy with streaming. I also have 2 or 3 TB of ripped music as well so covered either way.

kopczas

they were horribly (to my taste) mastered.

Baby steps into digital recording in the 80` were tough. But some recording are great too, some benefited from new approach ( like Peter Gabriel`s discography;), some are even more horrible ( like Whitesnake`s "1987" ; original is bad, remaster upscales everything that was bad in the original). It always depends on remastering engineer, not many are out there to care properly about tasteful audio processing.

c3pored

In adittion to my first unanswered yet question, does this device can read HDD directly connected to it ?
Yes and it can rip CD's from usb optical drives also (plus pulls in album/artist info from some CD database)

markrubin

my preorder is in…but can anyone confirm it is ROON ready? It is not listed on ROON’s site as an approved device

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
my preorder is in…but can anyone confirm it is ROON ready? It is not listed on ROON’s site as an approved device
A good question. After all, the enormously popular WiiM Mini was "not recommended" here for this very reason...

Korvenwin

Probably the certification is in process. Other devices from Zidoo are Roon Ready working flawlessly.

My DMP-06 is already ordered. In a few days, I could tell you.

Top Bottom