• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 340 65.9%

• Total voters
Given that there's no way to improve sonically on a Bluesound Node to Topping DAC system, I have no idea why anyone would pay more.

For my personal use, the Node with its BluOS app provides value over what any Wiim would provide, simply from a user interface perspective. I understand that may not be the case for many other people.
For me a matter of ease of use, one device less, one remote control less, easier for the wife, less cable clutter.

but soundwise I am a little worried that it will be a small step back. I use it a streamer-dac-pre-amp.

but i need the promised update and a remote control first.

selling bluesound node 130 and topping d90se could even cover the cost!

oh yes, and I want radio Paradise too, still not sure if eversolo can play it.

Last edited:

Alex05

Hello,
Just got the dmp-A6, and test it.
As streamer it’s wonderful very intuitive and easy to use, for the price is hard to beat. Well done Eversolo.
In terms of sound quality for me an to my ears and on my system (benchmark la4 and rb-1582 mkII) it’s step down compare to a very old pci card lynx L22.(with audirvana).
I use it with volume passthrough mode 5,2v output with the xlr and I as « afraid » to turn up the volume up on my preamp because my amp accept only 3v but at the same sound level my L22 sound much louder, cleaner.(the level output is only +4dbu)
On the dmp-a6 the sound is lack of depth, the separation of instruments isn’t clean, i found the sound is flat, it’s not bad it’s lifeless..
I think as streamer dac is very good value, if you have no source and dac.
It will be better to use it with an external dac and why pay more for a little computer.

dakchi

For me a matter of ease of use, one device less, one remote control less, easier for the wife, less cable clutter.

but soundwise I am a little worried that it will be a small step back. I use it a streamer-dac-pre-amp.

but i need the promised update and a remote control first.

selling bluesound node 130 and topping d90se could even cover the cost!

oh yes, and I want radio Paradise too, still not sure if eversolo can play it.
Honestly, Bluesound has an excellent app, but the sound is so so. When I replaced mine with Ifi Zen, it was a significant upgrade in sound. I did not expect that a streamer would have such impact on sound. I don't know if Eversolo will keep the same quality of sound, but you should test other streamers to realize that your Bluesound is not as good as you think (sound wise)

Alfachris

Hello from France.... i'm a happy owner of a DMP-A6 Master Edition, it works perfectly with Roon, but i have a problem...impossible to DMP-A6 web page on my PC ??
I'ts not a network problem...all my other numerous devices are visible and accessible on my PC
and of course, i checked it's not my firewall the cause!
I would like to install a SSD disk to transfer music locally
What is the solution for accessing the DMP-A6 via the Internet ?
Edit : ..i'ts OK...i managed to access to the DM-A6 by my IP scanner (Advanced IP Scanner)..

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

It won't be.

at the same sound level my L22 sound much louder, cleaner.(the level output is only +4dbu)
On the dmp-a6 the sound is lack of depth, the separation of instruments isn’t clean, i found the sound is flat, it’s not bad it’s lifeless..

Bluesound has an excellent app, but the sound is so so. When I replaced mine with Ifi Zen, it was a significant upgrade in sound.

you should test other streamers to realize that your Bluesound is not as good as you think (sound wise)

Have you ever tried these comparisons when levels are matched by voltmeter, and you can't peek and know which unit is playing?

It is doubtful any of those perceived differences would survive some basic controls.

era

I have ordered an A6 regular version from a local dealer. Unfortunately there is no timeline for the Master version to compare the 2. ETA is end of June.

Questions for those who already have their unit:
1. On user interface: Assuming you have more than 1 subscribed streaming service (say Tidal and Qobuz), and you also configured an SSD for local files, if you searched a song from the app, (not the streaming app or connect) will it search all 3 sources (Tidal, Qobuz and local)? If the song being searched is in all 3, will the app show all?

2. On connectivity options: If I don't intend to use an external DAC, can I use a miniDSP (full digital) for processing via a DAC loop : A6 streamer (digital out) --> miniDSP (digital out) --> back to A6 digital in? Can it work that way to use DIRAC while using the internal DAC?

Thanks

Sound_freq

Given that there's no way to improve sonically on a Bluesound Node to Topping DAC system, I have no idea why anyone would pay more.

For my personal use, the Node with its BluOS app provides value over what any Wiim would provide, simply from a user interface perspective. I understand that may not be the case for many other people.
For starters, you are stating something as fact that is subjective. One feature that has intrigued many thus far is Eversolo's ability to bring in Apple Music at full Hi-Res Lossless, bypassing the resolution limitations of airplay with Bluesound.

Last edited:

as-lot

Given that there's no way to improve sonically on a Bluesound Node to Topping DAC system, I have no idea why anyone would pay more
Just a few:
- A screen
- Ability to add an SSD
- Ability to install native Android apps

Of course those might not be relevant to you, but it might give you an idea why others would choose this despite costing more.

maniolo

Hello everyone,
I also acquired this streamer which I really appreciate. Just a note for Eversolo @Mirro88 : with the streamer from matrix which I also own, it is always on standby and when I send audio with Roon, the streamer comes out of standby and displays the cover art and information on the screen relating to the sound being broadcast. As long as there is sound on the streamer, the screen is on. When I stop listening to music, the streamer goes to sleep and the screen turns off.
I can't get the same behavior with the dmp a6. I removed the light around the button and set the screen to sleep for 5 minutes. The problem is that after these 5 minutes, if I send sound with Roon, the screen is still on standby. Maybe there is a setting that would allow me to reactivate the screen when playing music? I also wonder what is the power consumption of the device when the screen is idle? And is the whole system going to sleep?

mirror88

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
I also acquired this streamer which I really appreciate. Just a note for Eversolo @Mirro88 : with the streamer from matrix which I also own, it is always on standby and when I send audio with Roon, the streamer comes out of standby and displays the cover art and information on the screen relating to the sound being broadcast. As long as there is sound on the streamer, the screen is on. When I stop listening to music, the streamer goes to sleep and the screen turns off.
I can't get the same behavior with the dmp a6. I removed the light around the button and set the screen to sleep for 5 minutes. The problem is that after these 5 minutes, if I send sound with Roon, the screen is still on standby. Maybe there is a setting that would allow me to reactivate the screen when playing music? I also wonder what is the power consumption of the device when the screen is idle? And is the whole system going to sleep?
I think need a screensaver mechanism for signals, and we will evaluate it. Thank you.
But the screensaver is designed to protect the screen and extend its lifespan.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hello
I have a yamaha wcx50 streamer and an RME ADI 2 FS dac.
I would like to replace my streamer to upgrade to this DMP A6.
Do you think:
- that this choice is judicious?
- that I could do without my RME dac, (not to mention the dsp part and the headphone output) in comparison to the sound quality RME vs DMP A6?
thanks
I have a Yamaha wxc50 and the streaming function using digital output AND the preamp option allowing volumeregulation are not of highend quality - the preamp in Yamaha resamples everything to 48 KHz with SRC and its not very well done . My Mac M1 with a DDC sound slightly better as a digital drive to my Genelec 8340 using the digital input on the speaker.

I wish this wasnt the case because the Yamaha is very nice looking, works very well and have the digital inputs I need.
The sound is good enough for tv use, or background listening but no match for Mac/DDC or a Linn streamer .

…So its quite possible the sound will be slightly better using a DMP A6 as a digital drive, If all the subjective reviews on the net including Amirms measurements are correct. The high quality of the RME ADI FS as a dac doesnt matter If the Yamaha is used as a digital drive , the sound in this case will not be any better than the digital signal from the transport, if the preamp function is used.

Last edited:

maniolo

I think need a screensaver mechanism for signals, and we will evaluate it. Thank you.
But the screensaver is designed to protect the screen and extend its lifespan.
Thanks for your quick return! Do you recommend turning off the streamer at night or leaving it on standby?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a few:
- A screen
- Ability to add an SSD
- Ability to install native Android apps

Of course those might not be relevant to you, but it might give you an idea why others would choose this despite costing more.
I continue to be flummoxed by why people prefer a tiny display on the streaming device to controlling things using a larger (phone or tablet) screen, but okay.

One can add a SSD for Bluesound Node access by several different methods. https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/7772267458071-External-Hard-Drive-Format

Why would one want to install Android apps on a streamer? That one puzzles me.

SP13

Just returned my A6…The A6’s Dual DAC chips are not as good as my SMSL SU-9 with it’s single chip.

Currently I run my Bluesound N130 thru my
SU-9, I thought the dual DAC chips in the A6 would sound better, boy was I wrong. Totally Lifeless and Flat… Now here’s the real issue, since the A6’s DAC sounded so bad I didn’t want to use the A6’s internal DAC’s, so I thought I’d connect my other digital sources to the A6’s various digital inputs and pass through it’s USB out to my SU-9’s USB input then out via the SU-9’s RCA outs to my Preamp so at least I’d get access to the VU meter display…
NOPE ! Any digital input thru the A6 will only pass through thru it’s XLR & RCA outputs, not through USB ….wouldn’t be a bad thing if the A6’s internal DAC’s sounded good. I was really hoping not to have to run 2 units and have all my digital inputs go into one device, kinda was my whole reason for purchasing the A6. Also the A6’s USB input is not powered, so forget about running an external hard drive.

Using the Coaxial Out of the A6 causes the Left VU Meter to lock up in the RED, as well as, the IPhone App is VERY buggy causing numerous reboots of both the phone and the A6.
The user interaction is great though with the A6’s extremely responsive display and it’s streamer SQ was much better than my Node but I don’t feel they got all the kinks worked out and not worth the investment at this stage so I returned. Seriously with all the demand probably could have sold on Ebay for a premium but didn’t want to do that to someone.
I would be willing to repurchase should they correct the issues.

SP13

Also RADIO PARADISE unlike on the Bluesound Times out and you have to reload, as well as, not available in MQA. The sound difference alone from MQA to 197k is enough to consider returning if you’re really into RADIO PARADISE.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just returned my A6…The A6’s Dual DAC chips are not as good as my SMSL SU-9 with it’s single chip.

Currently I run my Bluesound N130 thru my
SU-9, I thought the dual DAC chips in the A6 would sound better, boy was I wrong. Totally Lifeless and Flat… Now here’s the real issue, since the A6’s DAC sounded so bad I didn’t want to use the A6’s internal DAC’s, so I thought I’d connect my other digital sources to the A6’s various digital inputs and pass through it’s USB out to my SU-9’s USB input then out via the SU-9’s RCA outs to my Preamp so at least I’d get access to the VU meter display…
NOPE ! Any digital input thru the A6 will only pass through thru it’s XLR & RCA outputs, not through USB ….wouldn’t be a bad thing if the A6’s internal DAC’s sounded good. I was really hoping not to have to run 2 units and have all my digital inputs go into one device, kinda was my whole reason for purchasing the A6. Also the A6’s USB input is not powered, so forget about running an external hard drive.

Using the Coaxial Out of the A6 causes the Left VU Meter to lock up in the RED, as well as, the IPhone App is VERY buggy causing numerous reboots of both the phone and the A6.
The user interaction is great though with the A6’s extremely responsive display and it’s streamer SQ was much better than my Node but I don’t feel they got all the kinks worked out and not worth the investment at this stage so I returned. Seriously with all the demand probably could have sold on Ebay for a premium but didn’t want to do that to someone.
I would be willing to repurchase should they correct the issues.
Flat and lifeless yes.. I also connected my Dac Z-8 to the DMP via USB , there are two, the bottom of the two is audio out.
Keith

Last edited:

SP13

Yes has USB OUT but only for it’s internal sources, anything Bluetooth or plugged into the Coaxial or Optical inputs will only play utilizing the A6’s internal DAC thus not allowing passthrough thru to the USB out to an external DAC.

You are able to passthrough the streamer via USB to an external DAC. Says it right in the manual as well.

Top Bottom