• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ErinsAudioCorner

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, no, the test is only available in paper form in the magazine.
http://hobby-hifi.de/Archiv/18/06_18/06_18.html
I do not want to get Amir and me into copyright problems.

I wish Hobby HiFi would join this millennium and have a digital subscription available. Their driver tests are probably the best, but with travel and mail restricted due to our total pandemic mismanagement they’ve gotten hard to get.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
K+T is available online (and this year for free ). Download included.

Yes, but between the 2 I like HobbyHiFi better.

Also, allyoucanread.de is free this year? I’m pretty sure I was charged for my renewal in March

MarsianC#

Ericglo

Attachments

• im-not-afraid-you-will-be-youwillbe.jpg
    im-not-afraid-you-will-be-youwillbe.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 140

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish Hobby HiFi would join this millennium and have a digital subscription available. Their driver tests are probably the best, but with travel and mail restricted due to our total pandemic mismanagement they’ve gotten hard to get.
If there were an English online edition, the creators could probably gain >1000 new subscribers worldwide.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Another day, another set of measurements.

Typically, I'm used to only having to measure smaller bookshelf speakers. This Revel proved to be incredibly difficult to measure due to its size and weight. And it needed a new test stand to be built to get it off the ground high enough to provide the insight I needed in to the performance. So, I built the last one from scrap lumber. That test stand I used for my 4-pi measurements of the Revel F226Be was ... ummm... engineered in a “special” way. The pucker factor was high. And the deck itself created some boundary loading effects that weren’t true of the speaker itself. I knew I could do better.

Searching online for ideas, I came across this scaffolding at Harbor Freight. After some modifications and customization, it now serves me well as a test stand. Very open, so little reflections (none at the front, minor at the back). Very sturdy. And comes apart for storage in about 5 minutes. The 4-inch caster wheels on the bottom make it easy to move around and when I attach my old lazy susan turntable I can make the center of rotation pretty much anywhere (that's the wood you see at the bottom of the contraption).

Without donations, I would have likely built a less robust stand from cheap lumber. So thank you to all of you who have donated in the past. You helped fund a better test stand. And that’s really appreciated.

120252502_10101158440967593_555740805665160837_o.jpg

120273681_10101158440937653_4301237229061823005_o.jpg

Last edited:

Zedly

Forum Donor
Very nice. I would love to know what your neighbors think when they see you do this! :D

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Very nice. I would love to know what your neighbors think when they see you do this! :D

I don't. :D

My next-door neighbors are actually really, really good people. We often talk for extended periods, just shooting the breeze. He knows this is my hobby and even subscribes to my YouTube channel and will comment "hey, I saw my car in your video, does that make me YouTube famous?".

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
So thank you to all of you who have donated in the past. You helped fund a better test stand. And that’s really appreciated.
You're welcome. Glad to help the cause.

I'll gladly donate more if other members donate....we need to make it a group effort!
I'll match if anyone donates in the next week (up to US$100 in total).
Just post a screenshot of your donation and I will match.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
And, FWIW, I am now really done testing the FR of this speaker. I have been comparing my results to the Harman results (here) and I'm within about 1dB of their measurements above 100Hz. Below 100Hz is about 1.5dB apart at most. I'm going to email them my results so maybe I can get some better understanding of why. Maybe theirs are right. Maybe mine are right. Maybe both ours are right given the measurement conditions (mine being ground plane for LF and theirs being anechoic, I presume).

But, all in all, I'm quite happy with the comparison. Especially considering just how much freaking work it was to measure this speaker. Even the CTA-2034 spec states that being within ±1.5dB is acceptable:
An agreement of ± 1.5 dB is considered to be good.

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're welcome. Glad to help the cause.

I'll gladly donate more if other members donate....we need to make it a group effort!
I'll match if anyone donates in the next week (up to US$100 in total).
Just post a screenshot of your donation and I will match.

I can’t pass up a buy one get one free offer.
5835EA7B-8C1E-4138-9DBE-DA5C2248A935.png

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
@sweetchaos @GDK @CDMC @Blumlein 88

You guys kick ass. I sincerely appreciate the donations. You guys have no idea how much it means.

When I got the subwoofers in from Monoprice on Friday my wife asked how I was going to carry those to the yard to test them (some weigh >100 lbs). I told her I probably need to buy a handtruck. I wanted to get this one from Harbor Freight but it's outside of my monthly "allowance" so I was just gonna have to load them in the car and drive them to the backyard (seriously, LOL) and then unload them. I had back surgery about 12 years ago... and hauling around 100# boxes isn't exactly smart. But the donations you guys have made have hit right at $140 which means I will have enough to go buy this thing soon and not have to kill my back when I test the subs.

So, again, thank you all very very much. It helps more than you know.

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
And, FWIW, I am now really done testing the FR of this speaker.

I lied.

After looking over my data more closely I realized the listening window result didn't make sense (it was higher in level than the on-axis response in the lower-midrange, which didn't make sense for this speaker). Long story short, the issue wound up being my ground-plane vertical spins. The previous setup I used implemented a wooden turntable which put the speaker about 3 inches off the ground. I wouldn't have expected this to matter because the wavelength of 3 inches is still quite long relative to the band I wanted to measure here. But I was wrong. It mattered. Just enough to fudge up the response above 300Hz - 600Hz which is smack where I was using Klippel to create the room correction curve for the far-field measurement. IOW, I was feeding Klippel bad data and it made the vertical response below 300Hz erroneous. Here's what I mean.

The picture below illustrates the difference in how the two measurements were taken. The first is the old vertical measurement; speaker off the ground. The second is the new measurement with the speaker laying on a very thin piece of pegboard about 1/8" off the ground.

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Now, here is the response difference taken at -10° vertical. These are GP only. So don’t consider them for full range response. Green is the new measurement. Red is the old measurement (taken on the turntable, a couple inches off the ground). Both were tilted toward the microphone for proper HF response (to some degree; I only care about <1kHz for GP measurements).

bad vertical vs good vertical.png

Amazing how sensitive these measurements are to assumedly minor variations even in low-to-mid frequencies. I've not had this issue with other speakers because they didn't require building up a platform to easily spin around on the ground, which I did for this speaker. The more I measure, the more I learn and - I have to be honest here - the more I wonder just how capable others are of doing these kind of measurements. I realize that sounds egotistical but there is a reason. This stuff is not trivial. You have to really understand the measurement setup, the drawbacks, the quirks and take the time to analyze the data before just tossing it out there. So, if that does come off as egotistical, so be it.

Anyway, after I caught this issue, I set up everything again and re-measured all my vertical ground plane measurements. I have updated my data which now looks very much like Harman's spin data other than the response <100Hz which I believe may also be factor of SNR (measuring outdoors vs measuring in an anechoic chamber).

This thing has kicked my butt. But I tell you one thing... this data is effing bulletproof now. It would hold up in court. LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom