• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ERA-1 Upgrade for Electronic Music (to have some nice sub-bass)

habb1

Hi all,

My ERA-1 just broke down and to my surprise the company where I bought them went to bankruptcy last month. I'm not sure if Quad could help in these kind of cases? In any case, it will take a long time before I could listen them again, so I'm looking for some new headphones.

I enjoyed ERA-1 sound a lot (with some light EQ). The only thing was that sometimes I was reaching limits ERA-1 when listening Loud, it was starting to touch metal sides or something like that and sound started to buzz. Of course I would rarely listen at those volumes, but still. For example, this song at loud volumes with that bass were giving problems to ERA1 (played with SMSL M500, heard somewhere that they could run ERA1 at its full potential). Also, I'm not sure if that kind of volume is the limit for ERA1 specifically or for Planar's in general?.

In short:
In comparison to ERA1 - any headphone recommendation with possibly deeper bass (not a strict requirement), but yet still controlled & punchy bass, also showing some sub-bass, overall sound clarity and withstanding higher volumes (if Planar's can do that in general)?

Not a fan of Sennheiser, would be happy to hear something other than HD's :)

Price range $800-$1500 (somewhere around that bracket, I find prices to be jumping around due to the region or some random sales).

I hope this is the correct forum for this.

OP
H

habb1

Top Bottom